How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

04-03-2011
fashion insider

She looks awesome with green skirt (Jil Sander maybe?)

04-03-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForChicSake View Post
^ thank you oh give me giovanna in mag issues a thousand times over instead of the (tw)it girls like chung, palermo, lively, meester, the twilighette... i could go on

Agree with you a thousandmillionbillion times!

Is there anyone out there that are willing to translate?

04-03-2011
front row

from vogue.it at the scervino party in Paris..
love the dress..it's form erdem if anyone's interested!

04-03-2011
V.I.P.

^bigger

vogue.it

04-03-2011
V.I.P.

fantastic dress, but that fur around her neck ruined the outfit.

04-03-2011
old-fashioned

yeah the fur really wasn't necessary. i'm in love with the rest of the look though! i think it's one of my favourites of giovanna's.

04-03-2011
V.I.P.

the-vogue-blog via vogue.co.uk

04-03-2011
backstage pass

That's a coat actually (Missoni?), I saw her today at Costes after the Lanvin show.

lexpress.fr

04-03-2011
V.I.P.

street tonic

04-03-2011
front row

LOVE LOVE LOVE that Erdem dress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almásy View Post
Agree with you a thousandmillionbillion times!

Is there anyone out there that are willing to translate?
Here we go (Part 1):

@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } Muse of Gold

The first time I saw Giovanna Battaglia in person was in September 2008, in Milan, at the entrance of Maxmara’s runway show. She was using a grey shift dress with feather print, turtleneck knit, thin belt, knee-high boots – reaching the exact length of the dress – and a mini Kelly bag that fit in her hand. I knew the dress belonged to Dolce & Gabbana’s 2009 Winter collection and would only arrive in stores a few weeks later. But the rest was a ‘first’ in my life: a ‘covered up’ look that practically offends in our culture that values the sexy above all else – the minimal makeup, the hair parted in the middle and tied in a low knot, the bag that everyone has – except a pricey version -, altogether, the outfit was too good to be true.
The chance to observe the ‘evolution’ of Giovanna close up however, came later, at the exit, a few metres away, I caught her on the sidewalk lighting a cigarette with the help of a boy who distributed little notebooks. Fantastic! The woman-myth was as real as you & I. After this encounter, I understood what makes a relatively ordinary person – and that doesn’t rely on exotic pieces and overstyling – stand out in the fashion crowd, and turn into a fixation. At 31, Giovanna is not really a celebrity, one of those that, from the doorman to the president, everyone would recognise her in the street. Still, if you follow the world of fashion, you know very well that she is a member of its royalty. She definitely is not paparazzi material, but everytime she is on the streets for a fashion event, a very specific type of photographer has his day made if he/she captures what Giovanna chose to wear.
She always steals the scene, even if there is not much time left to find out what she is wearing: who follows her on Twitter knows that Battaglia is a work horse and burns the midnight oil and weekends giving life to spectacular fashion editorials at Vogue Pelle and Vogue Gioiello, both Conde Nast titles in Italy, of which she is chief editor, under Franca Sozzani’s direction. Of course, dating French Vladimir Restoin-Roitfeld – heir of the other bombastic clan of the universe of fashion – and having access to unrestricted the most incredible clothes and accessories in the world help a lot when making an outfit. Her friendship with Domenico Dolce & Stefano Gabbana also helps – she is very close with both of them since her days of official model for the brand.
There are other more subtle factors that contribute so that her manner of dressing appeals to a wide number of women, so that she is always the target of flashes for more than one season – the fashion equivalent of the ’15 minutes of fame’. The opposite of other famous fashionistas that orbit the planet Vogue – including super wasp Laura Santo Domingo, British (bony) Plum Sykes and the superlative Anna Dello-Russo -, Giovanna has an air of a tangible woman, connected to the same reality of (almost) everyone. Look at the facts: she was not born noble, is not the daughter of an Italian nobleman (her family is composed of artists in various areas) and still has to work up a sweat to prove that she is professionally competent. Add to this the natural aesthetic attributes very distant from the ideal of perfection that has turned status quo: her face is very small, the smile is not formed of a sequence of snow white caps, her hair is rebellious, the kind that causes trauma when one is a kid at school age. Instead of resorting to fillers to remodel the face, spending hours polishing the teeth (obviously being forced to abandon the cigarette) and drown the locks with lots of ammonium and formol, she assumes her repertoire of imperfections and transforms them into triumphs, therefore avoiding the pasteurized beauty that certain women spend their lives searching for. (to be cont.)

04-03-2011
front row

(cont. Pt 2 of 2):
@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } Giovanna does not camouflage her defects, but knows how to capitalize on her qualities like none other – the pair of legs so long and slim she is already a legend at the doors of runway shows everywhere. But don’t thin she abuses her genes, showing more than she should: when she shows her limbs it is in an elegant manner, to appreciate the clothes and not to attract attention. Eventually, when she opts for short skirts from her favourite designers (YSL, Alaia, Lanvin, Marni, Miu Miu, Balenciaga, and Dolce & Gabbana itself), she leaves only a bit of thigh and legs on show. Low-cut/cleavage showing pieces she never uses and hardly embarcs on crazy tendencies, those that serve more of as an illustration for fashion editorials as crazy fashion than look good on the street, and parties. I don’t remember, for example, having seen her once in pair of scandalous platforms that could be used at a samba school. Her preferred styles are classic, slim heel, without any type of platform, shows that she doesn’t sell her body & soul to fashion.
Looks well edited and colourful, with access to lots of accessories, her trademark and, although she is far from minimalist, like a good Italian with an intellectual background, she knows very well to maintain a sobre and elegant production without being boring.
With an eye on all these qualities, jewellery designer Carla Amorim used Battaglia as an inspiration to the collection that celebrates 18 years of her label, with a right of the latter’s presence at its launch, on the 23rd. “We especially chose Giovanna because her physical type is very similar to brazilian women and to embody very well the spirit of the woman would like to use this jewellery”, says Kelly Amorim, right arm of her sister Carla. When they invited Giovanna, the two sisters had a pleasant surprise: she not only knew their work, but she was a fan of Carla’s jewellery, having various pieces in her collection.
Baptized Braziliana, the collection has festive flavours and is composed of roughly 30 super sworked pieces that are not shy, just to the italinissimo and mature style of Giovanna. “It is the meeting of our Brazilian DNA with an Italian sophistication, hence the name”. For Giovanna, on the invite from Vogue, decided herself to ‘drive’ the portraits on these pages, Carla’s jewellery are contemporary reinterpretations of classic lines, and hence, are easy to use. “They are good to combine with more casual clothes and to use during the day. At night, I do the opposite: I choose just one very powerful piece and build the look from there”, she teaches.

04-03-2011
front row

disclaimer: that was a quick job, apologies if it isn't very good

04-03-2011
V.I.P.

04-03-2011
fashion insider

I agree with liberty33r1b and *ana* about Giovanna's outfit in #848. I think the Erdem dress is very nice and looks good on Giovanna but the fur ruins the outfit. It is such a light, summery dress and the fur doesn't match that feeling at all. I think the fur piece goes much better with Giovanna's outfit in #853. It complements the colour and fabric of the outfit really well.

brigadeiro, thank you so much for translating the article. I definitely agree with the author that Giovanna has an understated sexiness and glamour to her style. Her style looks so effortless. There are quite a few nice pieces from the jewellery collection inspired by Giovanna. I'd love to see more pieces from the collection and hopefully Giovanna wearing the jewellery.

04-03-2011
fashion insider

sources: grassindelyle.fr; Giovanna Battaglia's Facebook fan page

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2010, 2011, battaglia, director, fashion, gioiello or pelle, giovanna, march, vogue