How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-05-2009
fashion elite

^Thanks a lot!

28-05-2009
scenester

Sources: Bourdin scans
Thank you so much Iluvjeisa for the scans!

Sources: Vogue Paris Mai 1987 (by I luvjeisa) and own scans at http://nora-ariffin.com/page28/page20/page20.html

28-05-2009
rising star

wow he was really way ahead of his time.

don't look down

There's a Guy Bourdin feature in the new issue of French Photo - no 461, Gisele cover - and these are some small grabs of it in case anyone is interested in the content (journaux.fr):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guy 1.JPG (39.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Guy 2.JPG (55.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Guy 3.JPG (41.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Guy 4.JPG (47.5 KB, 37 views)

29-07-2009
front row

pure genius.

clever ain't wise

From style.com:

Legendary Paris department store Le Bon Marché Rive Gauche is currently playing host to Guy Bourdin, Ses Films, an installation of 15 clips from films Bourdin shot from the 1960’s through the 1980’s. According to Shelly Verthime, who curated the show with Bourdin’s son Samuel, the films operate as both a time capsule and a window onto Bourdin’s creative process. “Making these films, I believe, was part of his obsessive search for the perfect image,” Verthime explains. “You see him experimenting with different angles, different lighting. What we see in those famous photos is the end result of this process, involving so many tiny adjustments.”
"The reason I wanted to work with the Bourdin estate to begin with was because I found his work timeless. That’s the word, really. He was such a visionary, and for me, he had the three elements of the real artist: the mind, the heart, and the eye. It was never about taking pretty pictures of beautiful models. He would go to museums with a magnifying glass to study the masters. He’d spend 40 hours working to perfect one shot. We are now producing a documentary about Bourdin and doing all these interviews with people he worked with, like Nicole Meyer and Grace Coddington. They all say that working with Guy Bourdin, there was a sense of purpose. The feeling was they weren’t just creating last season’s fashion coverage. They were creating art. There was a longevity to what he was doing, and you could even sense it on set. Like, the Charles Jourdan campaigns, that you mentioned, there’s a mise-en-scène, a story, a before feeling and an after feeling looking at the picture. He was a film director, in stills."

The full story here:http://www.style.com/stylefile/2009/...elly-verthime/

I would say that he was definitely one of the 5 greatest artists of the 20th century. Including absolutely everything. It really came as a shock to me when I opened up a vintage Vogue Paris and realized that here was where a significant portion of great art of the 20th century resided. I had been wondering where the Turners, van Goghs and da Vincis of the 20th century were....those obsessed with beauty, ugliness and the range of tangible human emotion, not just concepts (I don't see why it should be elaborated upon after Duchamp's work really).

Call me pretentious, but I didn't expect to find it in a glossy. Those days of wonder on my part are long gone of course It doesn't happen often because in the framework of today's glossies, it's not encouraged. But when it does, oh when it does.

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 14-10-2009 at 02:01 AM.
03-09-2010
French Chic

1988 Lagerfeld Fragrance Ad.

(my own scan)

rising star

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has seen the new Bourdin book "In Between", and if it´s any good....?
I´m not that impressed by the publishers choice of spreads online:
http://www.steidlville.com/books/1079-In-Between.html

Surely this could be great, but just as well it could go the other way... Are there many Vogue Paris editorials selected? Is it mainly fashion, beauty or shoes? (I´ve yet to see it in a shop.) Thanks!

23-10-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post

Call me pretentious, but I didn't expect to find it in a glossy. Those days of wonder on my part are long gone of course It doesn't happen often because in the framework of today's glossies, it's not encouraged. But when it does, oh when it does.
it actualy changes just during Bourdin Career, as you probably know that the end of his career he was unfortunately not very welcome anymore in the magazines.
He was against the growing AD and stylist teams around photographer controlling everything, and nowadays having more input in the final photos than the photographer himself. He was rather noisy about that, and he has been clearly puted out of the magazines for that.
It is the last of the really creativ fashion photographer of the century, the only one who with time passing will be recognize in same category as people as Avedon, penn...

The current "top" photographers, Testino, Meisel..., have not even 10% of the talent of those, but they reached their level in perfectly managing what Bourdin hated, in selling their soul to FD AD and all those people who took a too big part nowadays...

23-10-2010
V.I.P.

^I understand your point of view, I would also like to see more art like that of Guy Bourdin in our current magazines. But magazines has to sell...

V.I.P.

Quote:
GUY BOURDIN, IN BETWEEN

A New Exhibition and Book Launch

New York, NY – FACE (French American Cultural Exchange) and the Cultural Services of the French Embassy are pleased to present the opening of GUY BOURDIN, IN BETWEEN, a new exhibition featuring rare works by the late iconic French fashion photographer (1928 – 1991), on November 10, 2010 at the Payne Whitney Mansion, home to the Cultural Services of the French Embassy in New York City. The show will be on display through December 10, 2010, and debuts in conjunction with the launch of IN BETWEEN¸ a book published by Steidldangin and edited by Shelly Verthime.

The exhibition will include over 30 exquisite reproduction prints of vintage black and white images, many of which have not been seen or shown outside of their original appearances in previous publications. Guy Bourdin’s first retrospective was staged at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London, 2003 which presented a body of work that reaffirmed his visionary approach to color. With a striking and unique palette of hyper real colors he was able to create theatrical and dramatic mise en scene in the pre-digital era, and inaugurate a profoundly unique and intimate signature style.
This show offers viewers a new glimpse into Guy Bourdin’s surreal narrative that evolved throughout the artist’s career. While his pioneering work is traditionally celebrated for the intensity of his color images, this new exhibition highlights the little-known fact that half of his published fashion and commercial works were taken in black and white.
A painter all his life and autodidact, Guy Bourdin began his career with still and landscape black and white photographs (1950-1957) that were shot on the streets of Paris and Normandy, where he had spent much of his childhood. The early 1950s were the only years in Guy Bourdin’s life when he actively sought to exhibit his photographs and by the mid 1950s, his works had moved from gallery walls to the pages of magazines. However, his early abstract photographs had the same dramatic, graphic qualities that would later be seen in his fashion photographs, evidencing the fact that he was already a master of sophisticated visual sensibility even when he first began his career as a fashion photographer.
GUY BOURDIN, IN BETWEEN, is a pivotal book in the posthumous investigation and rediscovery of the true genius behind Guy Bourdin’s oeuvre. Including over 300 images, this publication articulates the editorial presence that was inherent to the artist’s work, and focuses on the double spread aspect of image composition as well as the dynamic juxtapositions of photographs reproduced as if for the first time.
This exhibition is kindly sponsored by William and Clémence von Mueffling.
………………………………………………………………………………………………..
GUY BOURDIN, IN BETWEEN A new exhibition and a book launch
Cultural Services of the French Embassy
972 Fifth Avenue New York, NY 10075
SUBWAY: 77th Street, Line 6
ADMISSION IS FREE
DATES: Nov 10th – Dec 10th, 2010 CLOSED
Mon – Fri 12:00pm – 6:00pm
Sat – Sun Closed
it is a bit late, but did anybody went to see that exhibit @ Institut Français in NY ?
When I like the work of cultural diplomacy ...

05-03-2011
V.I.P.

this tread just died, do you guys have more pictures ??

V.I.P.

Vogue Paris Covers (60's)
February 1966: Nicole de la Marge
September 1966: Kecia Nyman
September 1967: Nicole de la Marge
December 1969/January 1970: Louise Despointes & Unknown

ciaovogue

02-01-2012
V.I.P.

Vogue Paris Covers (70's)
November 1970: Donna Jordan
March 1973: Louise Despointes & Jean-Pierre Cassel