How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-12-2008
shake off your flesh

My scans

02-01-2009
windowshopping

i don't think that his photos is anything extra ordinary, i mean techically & allt that ****. i can take that kind of photos with my camera too. what makes his phots niiiiize is the people he photographs. they're really good lookin. i mean REALLY. or... maybe not good looking, but every person sure got something that catches the eye. & that, that is a mystery to me. 'cause i kinda look up to him. & i'm a pretty good photographer, if i may say. so, where do i find these retardedly charismatic people?

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by niandra View Post
i don't think that his photos is anything extra ordinary, i mean techically & allt that ****. i can take that kind of photos with my camera too. what makes his phots niiiiize is the people he photographs. they're really good lookin. i mean REALLY. or... maybe not good looking, but every person sure got something that catches the eye. & that, that is a mystery to me. 'cause i kinda look up to him. & i'm a pretty good photographer, if i may say. so, where do i find these retardedly charismatic people?
I don't mean no offence, but when it comes to photography, skills do not mean sh*t. Look at famous photographers such as Nan Goldin, there is nothing "WOW" about the photography in itself. What makes a good photographer is his/hers ability to
1)Find things to take pictures of
2)Convey the person/place/mood/time in a picture.
You can't do any of these with good "skills".
And frankly, your comment smells of the same comments as 90% of people looking at contemporary arts saying "I could've done that!". Could have doesn't really matter as long as you don't.
Oh, and about your problem, you either have to start hang out with pretty people or go about contacting model agencies. It's also possible to stop peple in the street saying "hi! I'm building a photography portfolio and you are pretty... may I take your picture?" (or something to that effect).
Also, it takes more than some good camera skills and a pretty young boy to take a good picture. You have to be able to bring out something interesting in your subject, connect with it, and make your subject connect to your camera. I've taken horrible pictures of beeeaaautiful people

02-01-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricAlyce View Post
I don't mean no offence, but when it comes to photography, skills do not mean sh*t. Look at famous photographers such as Nan Goldin, there is nothing "WOW" about the photography in itself. What makes a good photographer is his/hers ability to
1)Find things to take pictures of
2)Convey the person/place/mood/time in a picture.
You can't do any of these with good "skills".
And frankly, your comment smells of the same comments as 90% of people looking at contemporary arts saying "I could've done that!". Could have doesn't really matter as long as you don't.
Oh, and about your problem, you either have to start hang out with pretty people or go about contacting model agencies. It's also possible to stop peple in the street saying "hi! I'm building a photography portfolio and you are pretty... may I take your picture?" (or something to that effect).
Also, it takes more than some good camera skills and a pretty young boy to take a good picture. You have to be able to bring out something interesting in your subject, connect with it, and make your subject connect to your camera. I've taken horrible pictures of beeeaaautiful people
well hellllloo & thanks for answering. yesno, i agree with you, one every point. but it seems like you misunderstood me a little, so, i feel i have to defend myself. so, here's my defence speech... or, kind of. OR SOMETHING.
i know skills doesn't mean a crap i terms of how the photograph appeals to people, except if you're an 14 year old photoshop whore on flickr. & well no, i'm not one of them, 'cause if i was i probably wouldn't like the work of terry richardson, or your example, nan goldin.

but allright, let's stop there. i seriously really don't understand my point with my first post, really. partly, i was a little bit sarcastic, which doesn't really shines through the screen. on the other hand, i really like, wanted some tipsssss 'cause my city's dead & has no soul or maybe i should just give up my dreamzzz. but thanks for yr tip (or tips, still don't know how it spells, not even how to say it), now i gonna take photographs of my cat instead

windowshopping

Well, to be perfectly honest, 'good skills' is a very, very subjective term. Not everyone finds So-And-So-Artist amazingly talented, but some do. You may think he's not that great, but someone else may think he is. It all is a matter of opinion.

Fame of the name also is an important point, and Hedi is basically a god so, therefore, people will learn towards thinking he is a talented photographer because of his name.

Finally, it's not how much skill a person possesses, but how he or she uses it to convey what they want. ;D

02-01-2009
backstage pass

I think he has good taste in male models.

03-01-2009
V.I.P.

The reason why Hedi is so brilliant is that he has a strong, easily recognizable aesthetic. You can't take his photos for surface value. It's about so much more than 'cool young boys'. It's about youth and a certain melancholy and freedom associated with youth.
The way he orders his photos on his blog also says a lot. Like the recurring motif of American symbols like the flag juxtaposed against the isolation of a smoking Garrell.

Besides - his visual aesthetic is like no one elses. You look in a magazine and you can instantly tell whether its a Slimane photograph. His style is well developed for someone so young.

And while he might not be 'extraordinary' to some, its a shame people have to insult someones skills simply because you don't like his style.

03-01-2009
backstage pass

Actually, mentioning the position of his pictures in his 'blog'. The best experience I have with photolooking (I claim new word!) is scrolling through his photos pretty fast, not looking at them, just experiencing them, pretentious as it may sound XD

03-01-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post
And while he might not be 'extraordinary' to some, its a shame people have to insult someones skills simply because you don't like his style.
it wasn't meant as an insult, 'cause i like his work. my point was that he makes something that catches your eye without being a complicated photographer.

Last edited by niandra; 03-01-2009 at 06:38 PM.
03-01-2009
V.I.P.

Anyways back on topic.

Here are some new ones from HediSlimane.com/Diary

04-01-2009
dudeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post
The reason why Hedi is so brilliant is that he has a strong, easily recognizable aesthetic. You can't take his photos for surface value. It's about so much more than 'cool young boys'. It's about youth and a certain melancholy and freedom associated with youth.
Well, I don't think that having a recognisable aesthetic automatically makes you brilliant, but apart from that I totally agree with what you said, it's all about that mood of his photographs, and that's exactly what I hate, that feeling they have. However, even I don't like what he does, I find him quite talented at doing it, so I'll have to wait until he grows old and moves onto more interesting subjects.

17-01-2009
V.I.P.

Lara by Night
Vogue Paris feb 2009
Lara Stone by Hedi Slimane
style by Emmanuelle Alt

hedislimane fashion diary

18-01-2009
V.I.P.

[01.15.09]

hedislimane.com/diary

18-01-2009