How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-06-2004
memoirs of a...

If You Could Be A Fashionzine Editor
In anticipation of the uber-important, super-thick September issue, I decided to plan several fashion editorials (just because I have time!). I have a practical approach to fashion but welcome originality in photography and model selection. If I were the editor of a fashion magazine, I'd hire the stylists from Bazaar or Lucky, depending on the orientation of the magazine (high fashion vs. high street). Dream team of photographers would include: Patrick Demarchelier (as opposed to Steven Meisel), Craig McDean (as opposed to Steven Klein), Mario Testino (as opposed to Annie Leibovitz), Carter Smith (Glen Luchford would be second-best), Greg Kadel (David Sims or Thomas Schnek can be used as substitutes, but no to Michael Thompson), Bruce Weber (as opposed to Irving Penn).

Both actresses and models could grace the covers, and I'll try to give half of the covers to models. But if I were to cast models in major magazines, I'd tell Daria Werbowy to take a break for a good four months, ditto Liya Kebede. Karolina Kurkova would not be nearly as big as she is now, and neither would Carmen Kass. Carolyn Murphy can retire after her Estee Lauder contract expires. Amber Valletta and Linda Evangelista won't be hoping for a "return." Karen Elson and Hannelore, stick with Meisel because you won't be getting calls from me. Girls like Jessica Stam and Ben Grimes would never make it, ditto Frankie Rayder & Missy Rayder. The strange ascent of Isabeli Fontana, Ana Michele Claudia, and Ana Beatriz Barros would be contained. On the other hand, I want to cast girls who are either healthy-looking sexy or beautiful in a brainy way. That means Gisele Bundchen, Caroline Ribeiro, Michelle Alves and Alessandra Ambrosio will be in high demand. The "return of supermodels" would consist of Stephanie Seymour, Cindy Crowford, and Kate Moss. Angela Lindvall will be the reigning American supermodel, while Erin Wasson and Jessica Miller are used in moderation. The "brainy beauties" I would cast: Jacquetta Wheeler, Maria Carla Boscono, Mini Anden, Ann-Catherine Lacrioux, Dewi Driegen, Eugenia Volodina, Julia Stegner, Diana Dondoe. Cutie-pie Elise Crombez and Anne V. would have their space as well.

And the outline of the editorials:

Jan/July: Seasonal preview by fashion capitals
Feb/Aug: Predicting the "Looks of the Season" + trend report
Mar/Sept: Maximum glamour--spreads for coats, gowns/cocktail dresses, suits, accessories, plus another story on the trend of the season (last year: tweed; this year: burgendy)
Apr/Oct: More stories with themes, plus "from runway to real way" and "how to wear a last-season item in the new season"
May/Nov: Vacation spread or resort collection, plus a designer highlight (I'll shoot a whole story using clothes from a single collection if it is *that* good and narratively stong)
June/December: Review of the hit-and-miss items from last season

So for August's "Looks of the Season," I selected 14 wardrobes:

Prada's yellow dress with dramatic oriental print is sure to join its 'bee dress' and lipstick skirt as one of the iconic moments of the brand. Plus, this gives me an excuse to not use the ugly oriental-print gowns Tom Ford sent down the YSL runway. And I make my advertiser happy!

Christopher Bailey designed a strong AW 04 collection at Burberry and this is my favorite look. A navy-colored cami with a high-waisted pencil skirt is great for early fall. The accessories are to die for. Another advertiser made happy!

A great coat from Lanvin which has already been seen on Kate Moss. Honestly, I am surprised that this has not been photographed yet.

18-06-2004
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

id choose something from some unknown designers

memoirs of a...

Dame Sonia Rykiel had a slam-dunk collection for AW 04 and the rose-detail at the collar is beautiful in the winter. Plus, isn't it great to see her in a US publication? Her "So Rykiel" off-the-shoulder sweaters and Dolce & Gabbana's gold-studded Mickey Mouse tees are two of the cutest items of the season.

Marc Jacobs. This is one of the less "Prada-inspired" looks which Gisele Bundchen opened the show with. He may launch a trend with bow-tie blouses. The color combination is retro yet unexpected.

JPG for Hermes. I am not a fan of this collection at all but given the heat of JPG's debut at Hermes, I have to compromise, so I picked this look. It's a bow-tie blouse following the Marc Jacobs outfit, and the red should look good next to the Celine dress.

Michael Kors for Celine's farewell collection was a hit, a nice mixture of retro housewife elegance and old moviestar glamour. There are many outfits which I considered: Karolina Kurkova's show-opening croc-embossed skirt and later another lace skirt, Audrey Marney and Liya Kebede's utility chic, but Raquel Zimmermann's vivid shade of red wins at the end. It's interesting that I eventually decided on a belted shift dress from a collection that is full of great two-piece dressing.

18-06-2004
memoirs of a...

Dolce & Gabbana's velvet blazer + Mickey Mouse tee. Yes, the designing duo took inspiration from Sarah Jessica Parker's Carrie on Sex and the City, but the jutaxposition of a formal blazer and a cartoon figure looks very of-the-moment, a logical extension following Louis Vuitton's cartoonized handbags last year. The strongest look from this collection may be Daria's pinstripe pant suit, a design that Dolce & Gabbana have fine-tuned to perfection over the years, but pant suits were hot two years ago and I think it is visually boring to proclaim them the Look of the Season again so soon.

[img]*****************************/image/0211200410475782.jpg[/img]
Roland Mouret's tweed dress. Roland Mouret is an up-and-coming talent that I want to push very much. Love the detail around the neck and the long sleeves spell cozy. Carmen Kass wore the short-sleeve version of it to meet Tony Blair.

Julien MacDonald's last collection for Givenchy was a good throw-back to the brand's Audrey Hepburn days.

Monique Lhuillier is another French-born, NY-based designer that I want to push. The checkered coat is amazing as is the orange belt. You may know her from Jamie Lee Curtis' revealing water-blue gown from the Oscars this year, but the majority of Lhuillier's work is much more refined. She started out from bridal wear and one of her dresses was featured in Vanity Fair's Hollywood Issue this year. This is her first runway show, I believe.

18-06-2004
memoirs of a...

J. Mendel's elegant ensemble embodies two of fall's favorite trends: pleated skirt and fur cape.

Miu Miu. A very casually put-together outfit, and yet it works so well.

Oliver Theykens deserves more credit for the revival of Rochas. The gown is majestic.

The highlight of the AW04 collections includes many firsts (JPG's debut for Hermes) and lasts: Tom Ford for Gucci and YSL, Michael Kors for Celine, Julien MacDonald for Givenchy. I did not include Tom Ford in this editorial because, frankly, none of the looks from either collection is worthy of becoming the Look of the Season. However, I will include his work in a later story on silver dresses.

Advertisers who got the boot: Armani, Fendi.

18-06-2004
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by LibertyRose@Jun 18th, 2004 - 3:16 pm
But if I were to cast models in major magazines, I'd tell Daria Werbowy to take a break for a good four months, ditto Liya Kebede. Karolina Kurkova would not be nearly as big as she is now, and neither would Carmen Kass. Carolyn Murphy can retire after her Estee Lauder contract expires. Amber Valletta and Linda Evangelista won't be hoping for a "return." Karen Elson and Hannelore, stick with Meisel because you won't be getting calls from me. Girls like Jessica Stam and Ben Grimes would never make it, ditto Frankie Rayder & Missy Rayder. The strange ascent of Isabeli Fontana, Ana Michele Claudia, and Ana Beatriz Barros would be contained. On the other hand, I want to cast girls who are either healthy-looking sexy or beautiful in a brainy way. That means Gisele Bundchen, Caroline Ribeiro, Michelle Alves and Alessandra Ambrosio will be in high demand. The "return of supermodels" would consist of Stephanie Seymour, Cindy Crowford, and Kate Moss. Angela Lindvall will be the reigning American supermodel, while Erin Wasson and Jessica Miller are used in moderation. The "brainy beauties" I would cast: Jacquetta Wheeler, Maria Carla Boscono, Mini Anden, Ann-Catherine Lacrioux, Dewi Driegen, Eugenia Volodina, Julia Stegner, Diana Dondoe. Cutie-pie Elise Crombez and Anne V. would have their space as well.

I have the axact same taste in models as you! Except I like Daria...

18-06-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by LibertyRose@Jun 18th, 2004 - 2:36 pm

Monique Lhuillier is another French-born, NY-based designer that I want to push.* The checkered coat is amazing as is the orange belt.* You may know her from Jamie Lee Curtis' revealing water-blue gown from the Oscars this year, but the majority of Lhuillier's work is much more refined.* She started out from bridal wear and one of her dresses was featured in Vanity Fair's Hollywood Issue this year.* This is her first runway show, I believe.
seems like you had fun doing that...just one thing...this is not monique l'huillier's first show...she's been at it for awhile now...she did come from bridal...as you say...

frankly...this collectioin is better than usual for her...she usually does very stiff..mother-of-the-bride gowns...personally, i can't tell the difference btw her and tuleh and badley mischka...and i don't really care for any of it...a bit old-fashioned..almost frumpy imo...

hahaha...can't believe you gave armani the boot!!!...and he worke so hard to make his collection more avante garde...i actually think it's one of his best in years!...oh well...he's had his time in the spotlight...

18-06-2004
memoirs of a...

Quote:
Originally posted by SCBlondie@Jun 18th, 2004 - 3:34 pm
I have the axact same taste in models as you! Except I like Daria...
I do like Daria, just don't think she's looking her best now that she's been working non-stop and overexposed. That chin is starting to look scarily thin, as her new US Vogue editorial can attest.

18-06-2004
memoirs of a...

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 18th, 2004 - 4:19 pm
hahaha...can't believe you gave armani the boot!!!...and he worke so hard to make his collection more avante garde...i actually think it's one of his best in years!...oh well...he's had his time in the spotlight...
Thanks for the info, Softgrey. I did like Armani's collection for Giorgio Armani SS03, and Emporio Armani AW03 was fab too. But I just did not bother to go through his stuff this time.

I purposely did not include any Dior, because their trunk show stuff is very different from their runway pieces anyway.

Another advertiser that I very much wanted to give the boot to is Donna Karan, but I guess her clothes will show up in a later post, as will: Viktor & Rolf, Missoni, and many other designers who didn't make the Look of the Season.

18-06-2004
rising star

i dont really know all the photographers... to make a complete selection... or the make up artist.. i just know what she looks like lol (FTV) anyhow...
i'd stylize my mag to show different trends... high-fashion, high-street, but also ready to wear everyday clothing...
at the beginning of the yr i'd go for the top looks of the summer, and upcoming autumn looks to consider...
then mid yr i'd continue postin the changin trends from autumn to winter, then 3/4 through i'd start getting out spring and comencing summer fashions...
then for the designers i'd chose to b versatile and chose to show a bit of each look and run way... gucci, prada. miu miu, oscar de la renta, diane van furtenburg, carolina herrera, dsquared, babydoll, YSL, babyphat, chanel, anna sui, vivienne westwood, burberry, ralph, ck, that sort of outlook...
anyhow.... and the models would range through versatile looks, like the model that was in may vogue issue who was modelling LV (whom id also include) and gisele, Nat V, Ana V, gemma, guys umm travis flimmel, the new guy whos the face of ralph blue, andres, etc etc i'd go for a more classic yet vintage look with models whom portray sexuality and has the IT factor to lighten up the clothing and make it appeal to the reader...
articles would consist of updates on top models and what theyr up to, lists of bargain places and dates to go to warehouses for sales, socialite parties happening, the IT clubs and bars of the moment, and also the upcoming movies and entertainment, insights on bakstage parties, and VIP events... also perhaps a strong health section with insight on how to look after urself... different listings of exercises styles and how they work for u, ummm also a travel section that doesnt simply talk about the expensive luxurious places to stay at but also the nice afforable places aswell, the different sights to be seen and precautions etc etc...
i'd also include an update on news and current affairs to sorta keep readers posted not only on fashion and style but news and politics to sorta educate and break the barrier of (fashion conscience people r narrow minded) and yeh i think i'd work it pretty well and then id do a special section that would include a makeover for a reader every month with different advice on her/his body shape and face shape and what hair, makeup and clothing best highlights their qualities... and readers can send in their face photos or body photos to ask what they should excentuate and what they shouldnt...

how'd u think i'd go???

18-06-2004
flaunt the imperfection

i think you'd do pretty damn well...

but excuse me...who or what is babydoll...one of the 'designers' you listed...never heard of it....

18-06-2004
rising star

Alberta Ferreti

18-06-2004
rising star

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 18th, 2004 - 11:14 pm

but excuse me...who or what is babydoll...one of the 'designers' you listed...never heard of it....
lol i just realised that lol, i meant to write baby phat rofl.. and i dunno y i wrote baby doll... i think its caz i was thinkin of YSL and they hav a perfume called baby doll lol (i was thinking how i need a new one while i was writin and i ended up typing it lol)

18-06-2004
rising star

Alexander Mcqueen

18-06-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by elegantly_patty+Jun 18th, 2004 - 10:43 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elegantly_patty @ Jun 18th, 2004 - 10:43 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-softgrey@Jun 18th, 2004 - 11:14 pm

lol i just realised that lol, i meant to write baby phat rofl.. and i dunno y i wrote baby doll... i think its caz i was thinkin of YSL and they hav a perfume called baby doll lol (i was thinking how i need a new one while i was writin and i ended up typing it lol) [/b][/quote]
haha...i thought so...

is babydoll suddenly getting more popular?...cause it seems like a number of people are wearing on this site...

i love it...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
editor, fashionzine