How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-06-2006
V.I.P.

The show got me intrested too about her photographing stuff, I never knew..
The pictures are ok, right? Because I really can't judge

18-06-2006
fashion insider

I think they're ok...I'm not sure how to judge a good photographer.
Like, what can you attribute to the model and what to the photographer?

18-06-2006
girl who fell to earth

just did a quick google search and nothing promising seemed to turn up... i'll give it a more thorough effort later.. for now i'm exhausted and off to bed..

18-06-2006
fashion insider

thanks for looking!

19-06-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkos
I think they're ok...I'm not sure how to judge a good photographer.
Like, what can you attribute to the model and what to the photographer?
I think she's competent but not brilliant at photography.

What you attribute to the photographer is the lighting, the composition, the framing (where she places the model in relation to the props and the frame of the picture and the angle of the camera) and the choice of shots ... sometimes the theme or concept and most improtantly, knowing just the exact moment when everything is right and there's a spark.

What you get from the model is the facial expression, the body language and how well she shows some emotion in the shot.

But a great photogarpher can usualy pull out more life and feeling from a model than an average photographer. So a lot of that can be atrributed to both model and photographer ... they have to connect and work together to get the feeling into the image.

I don't think that any in the second series (the doctors office) have any fire or feeling (fear, disdain, greed, lust for beauty ... anything) ... the eyes all look blank and everything looks very posed. I think it may be because Janice is so over the top and can be so harsh and condescending at times that she fails to connect with the models ... they pose but they withhold their feelings from her. I could be way off base on other things that she's shot ... but that's what I see in these images. And the framing is not very interesting in most of these, either. The concept and styling is cool .... but, overall, they don't hit the mark for me.

Last edited by BetteT; 19-06-2006 at 06:18 PM.
19-06-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by young_divine
yeah, they are opening up "offices" in ny and la. here's a photo of the one around the corner from me on wooster st.: http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...0/DSCN0219.jpg

it's sponsored by Oh, the channel, I believe.
so she is opening offices in NEw york too?? where at I wonder??

19-06-2006
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT

What you attribute to the photographer is the lighting, the composition, the framing (where she places the model in relation to the props and the frame of the picture and the angle of the camera) and the choice of shots ... sometimes the theme or concept and most improtantly, knowing just the exact moment when everything is right and there's a spark.

What you get from the model is the facial expression, the body language and how well she shows some emotion in the shot.

But a great photogarpher can usualy pull out more life and feeling from a model than an average photographer. So a lot of that can be atrributed to both model and photographer ... they have to connect and work together to get the feeling into the image.

I don't think that any in the second series (the doctors office) have any fire or feeling (fear, disdain, greed, lust for beauty ... anything) ... the eyes all look blank and everything looks very posed. I think it may be because Janice is so over the top and can be so harsh and condescending at times that she fails to connect with the models ... they pose but they withhold their feelings from her. I could be way off base on other things that she's shot ... but that's what I see in these images. And the framing is not very interesting in most of these, either. The concept and styling is cool .... but, overall, they don't hit the mark for me.
Keeo in mind these were shot for ANTM, I don't think quality is a big deal to them.

girl who fell to earth

^^ I wouldn't put too much stock in the framing of those shots either... especially seeing as they are probably cropped to put emphasis on the "models"

19-06-2006
fashion elite

That's so interesting that she photographs..I never knew that, I'd be interested in seeing more of her work. The ANTM photos always have the same look about them, they look really really airbrushed, or some kind of effect done on them, the models end up looking like Barbie.

19-06-2006
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT

that was really helpful! thanks so much

19-06-2006
tfs star

i'd like to see some more of her stuff... but based on what was on her show, and the crap done for antm, i'd say this is my most hated style of photography... i like janice but... what can i say... i hate this sh t

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuggaStiletto
That's so interesting that she photographs..I never knew that, I'd be interested in seeing more of her work. The ANTM photos always have the same look about them, they look really really airbrushed, or some kind of effect done on them, the models end up looking like Barbie.
Yes, it wouldn't hurt them to hire a new retoucher!

Seductress in Eden

I dont like those models

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dickinson, janice, photographer