How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-04-2007
oh! darling

Jeffrey Graetsch - Photographer
The first photographer for the launching of the new high-fashion magazine "Plastique" with spreads for supermodels Andi Muise and Katarina Ivanovska.

[courtesy of iximisspiggyixi]

>> andi muise.

>> katarina ivanovska.

Last edited by papa_levante; 20-04-2007 at 11:48 AM.

20-04-2007
oh! darling

ecroma.com

Last edited by papa_levante; 20-04-2007 at 12:00 PM.
20-04-2007
oh! darling

ecroma.com

girl who fell to earth

papa_levante please properly credit the images taken from andy muise's thread--tFS and its threads does not qualify as a source.

Please credit ASAP so that the pictures won't have to be deleted.. thanks

25-04-2007
fashion insider

Interview with Jeffrey...he is a really great guy and great photographer!!

How did you get started as a photographer?
This is not an easy question for me to answer...there are many different influences that brought me into photography. I never planned on getting into photography...I just stumbled into it by means of fate.
I have always been enamored with the "image"...and the whole idea of "Identity". I have always believed that everything revolves around Identity. We are all trying to find out who we are. It's a never ending search.
My love for Fashion and Photography, really started at an early age. As a young teenager I grew up reading fashion magazines...partly due to the influence of my sister. I had always payed attention to who shot what, or who designed what...I don't really know why! I was a skateboarder, that read fashion magazines?!
From there on, I went to college to study fashion. I was the only male amongst 110 females...it was interesting. By graduation, I had won 2 of the 3 awards given out...and was encouraged to become a stylist. I didn't feel that was the right place for me. Instead, I fell in love with 20th Century Furniture Design. It was my escape from an industry that at the time, I felt was too superficial for me. Collecting mid-century modern furniture by the masters of 20th Century Design helped me see "purpose" and "function" again.
After college I met a photographer, by chance. He was a Canadian photographer, by the name of Chris Nichols. After conversations about other photographers and lighting, he told me that he never had an assistant that had said the things that I had said to him. Still don't know what I had said, that made him see me this way. He quickly told me to come hang out in his studio, and learn from him. It was an amazing experience! He was extremely talented!
I ended up leaving the studio a few months later, when I had met one of the biggest influences of my life...a man by the name of Robert Young. He was a creative director...a brilliant man, with impeccable taste. He took me on as if I was his son...and taught me to be an art director...I think I was about 21 or 22. He showed me what to look for on the film...he made me make all the selects on certain jobs...followed by a long conversations. We both shared the same passion for 20th Century Design, and I would frequently help him build his collection...which was the most amazing collection I had ever seen. He always told me that my mind was way too editorial for Canada...and encouraged me to revisit the camera. This was the true beginning. Robert died of Aids in 2005...and left a Last Will and Testament with my name on it. It was extremely overwhelming to see a man's life slowly taken, in such a negative way, and to know that I had impacted his life, in a positive way.
I was 25 when I left Robert's agency and bought a camera. I really didn't know what I was doing...I think Daria (Werbowy) was the first girl I took pictures of. She was a good friend of mine...and not the "supermodel" that you now know her to be. She made it so easy for me, but...the film was so under exposed. From there on, I started testing like crazy...I was pretty much getting payed by the agencies...to learn how to use a camera. I can laugh about that now!! That was 5 years ago...so crazy. It was in 2002 that agents from IMG encouraged me to move to New York. So I did.
I put my own camera down, and started assisting...it was amazing. I assisted people I once only read about...Alexei Hay, David Sims, Sam Haskins, Dusan Reljin, Alexie Lubermirski, Alasdair Mclellan, Vanina Sorrenti...and then Tom Munro, as his first assistant. I left Tom and I went on my own at the beginning of this year.

Do you remember your first professional photoshoot? What was it?
My first "professional" shoot was a 6 page, men's fashion story for a Canadian men's fashion magazine...I think I was 24 or 25 years old. It happened on Independence Day, oddly enough. My first shoot after leaving as Tom Munro's First Assistant...was a men's beauty story for Wonderland Magazine.

What is your "daily work" like?
Mostly pre-production, or post-production...phone calls, and sitting in front of a computer, emailing. Also...I read a lot.

What has been one of your most successful photoshoots so far?
I would have to say...my 2 stories for the new British fashion magazine, Plastique. I have 22 pages, and the cover.

Have you ever had a run-in with a difficult model on set?
I have...I think it mostly comes from inexperience on the model's end. They just don't understand what to do, maybe because they are young, and new...they just aren't comfortable in the own skin yet. A lot of them don't understand the industry...and have just been pushed into it.

Who are some of your big photographic influences?
Richard Avedon. He brought life back into pictures...the movement that you see so many replicating today. Peter Lindbergh, because he has such an incredible attitude...and passion for the "Face". His pictures are beautiful. I also admire the work of Mario Sorrenti. He is so young for what he has accomplished. He has an amazing eye. Sometimes, I feel that the industry is lacking these types of role models that have passion, that is translated into their pictures. I sometimes feel that the industry has made the photographer, more important then the pictures.

Is there any work of yours that we should expect to be seeing in magazines in the upcoming months?
Plastique Magazine launching this month. There are some other things in the works.

What sorts of assignments are most appealing to you?
The ones that allow you to dream.

Your girlfriend is a model, and you are a photographer. Has this impacted your relationship in any way?
Work-wise...it had mostly impacted our lives in a positive way...mostly, because we both understood the industry. We were both trying to achieve the same thing...a great picture. The only difference is that we were just on opposites sides of the camera. The only negative...is that we were away from each other a lot. It was hard not seeing her incredible face, first thing in the morning...I hope that didn't sound too personal. When Andi was away... she forgot about me.

Do you have any comments or words of advice for anyone looking to get into the photographer field?
Photography, Fashion, Design, Architecture...this is all a way of life. Its not a job that you go to 9-5, just because it sounds fun, or for any other superficial reasons. You have to be passionate!! You have to be a dreamer!! And then live it 24-7!!! Don't be afraid to see the "Beauty" in things...and to see them your own way. Try not to be influenced too much by what others do. There are no rules in photography...its all about how you use your tools, to assist you in achieving what you desire.

I will leave you with some quotes that have impacted myself...

"A good artist, never blames his tools"
"You are only as good as the people, you surround yourself with" Robert Young.

"Look and think before opening the shutter. The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera"

"Those who restrain their desires, do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained"

"Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. I think it's in my basement.... let me go upstairs and check"

My mother said to me, "If you are a soldier, you will become a General. If you are a monk, you will become the Pope." Instead, I was a painter, and became Picasso"

oh! darling

plastiquemagazine
(from moofins)

oh! darling

forsurecouture.blogspot.com
(from iximisspiggyixi)

oh! darling

Post #6
appropriate credit:
(1,2) Flickr.
(3) Andi Muise's MySpace.

oh! darling

plastiquemagazine.com

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iximisspiggyixi
Interview with Jeffrey...he is a really great guy and great photographer!!
iximisspiggyixi, articles and interviews must also be credited ... with the name and issue of the magazine or the on line source ... per the guidlines. So can you please provide this information?

I don't want to have to delete this great interview that you provided.

28-04-2007
fashion insider

Oh lol...it's from my blog, I did the interview!

rising star

great work.
thnx

29-04-2007
oh! darling

katarina ivanovska for plastique

plastiquemagazine.com

somehow a lot of the pictures are becoming those red X's. =(

oh! darling

Plastique cover taken by Jeffrey.
myspace.com/plastiquemagazine

oh! darling

katarina ivanovska spread from plastique by jeffrey.
(credit to personal scans by iximisspiggyixi in katarina's thread)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
graetsch, jeffrey, photographer