How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-04-2009
tfs star

Arena Homme + Summer/Autumn 2009
Glamorama; The Life of a Boy Model
Photographer : Alasdair McLellan
Models : Luke Worrall , Ashley Stymest, Josh Beech, George Barnett & Cole Mohr

morphoman.blogspot.com

21-04-2009
The future is stupid

^What's the styling there? I don't see anything. She's the most overrated stylist of them all. I find her Love magazine boring & repetitive. It's nothing I haven't seen before.

14-05-2009
front row

she is who I wanna become when I grow up! but I got to be fast, considering I'm 21 now and I'm not anywhere I want to be now... in real life, I mean, in my dreams I'm the queen of everything!

16-05-2009
she's got the look

Hard Harder Hardest from The Face May 2001
Photographer: Solve Sundsbo
Models: ?
Fashion Editor: Katie Grand
*there's one shot missing, I'll scan it when I have time*

my scans

rising star

The pics of her with Stephen Jones are adorable. I love her green dress.

27-05-2009
don't look down

A Feb 2009 PRWeek interview with Katie:

Quote:
Editor's Desk: Katie Grand, LOVE

Describe LOVE's editorial agenda
We try to avoid agendas, and want to create an exciting and compelling new entry into the style sector. It is important not to have rigid sections. We will cover fashion, art, music and style culture.

Who will read it?
Ardent lovers of fashion, style and popular culture the world over. The age range will be broad, and the magazine weighted more toward females.

What makes a great LOVE story?
For the first issue it involved putting an interesting celebrity in interesting fashion, photographed by a great photographer and interviewed by a great writer. It's impossible to compete with newspapers to find 'someone new or interesting' so it is about ideas execution.

Of which story are you most proud?
Terry Richardson's images of Anjelica Huston. Anjelica lived with Terry when he was a child and used to go out with his father, Bob Richardson. The photos are intimate, not retouched. The interview with fashion journalist Jo-Ann Furniss is touching.

Let us into some future plans
We want to keep getting better. While LOVE is a magazine, its reach will be much broader. We want to work on projects that directly involve designers creating products for stores. I want to work outside a magazine's parameters, with the website, blog or retail partners.

What is your PR pet peeve?
My biggest annoyance was at the beginning of February when a lot of PROs weren't at work because of the snow and I had a shoot to do. PROs in general are pretty good. Some become very important when putting a magazine together.

What are your media must-haves?
The Sun, The Times, The Independent, Grazia, The News of The World, W, Interview, British, French, Italian, American and Russian Vogue, British Vanity Fair, I-D, Dazed & Confused, I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here, Come Dine With Me and most things on BBC4.
http://www.prweek.com/uk/news/882780...ie-Grand-LOVE/

V.I.P.

^^Thanks for posting, i really liked that, she will make a perfect eic of UK Vogue one day.

11-08-2009
V.I.P.

Vogue Russia October 2008 Raquel Zimmermann in New Realism
scans by achAT style & photos by KG

11-08-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMagAddict View Post
^What's the styling there? I don't see anything. She's the most overrated stylist of them all. I find her Love magazine boring & repetitive. It's nothing I haven't seen before.
I was just coming to this thread to say something similar.

Some Like It Hot

Quote:
Katie Grand, the high priestess of British fashion, got engaged while throwing up in a field at the wedding of her friend, the stylist Charlotte Stockdale. Her husband-to-be, Pulp’s bass player, Steve Mackey, held her hair back as he popped the question.

“It was kind of really romantic and really unromantic.” She grins her trademark gap-toothed grin at me. “I’m very rarely sick and Charlotte Stockdale is very rarely sick — but she was sick at my wedding as well. Either one of us was pregnant or we just drank too much at each other’s weddings.”

It was the latter. The marriage took place on July 11, in a romantic church in the middle of Upper Saranac Lake in New York state — a place they had discovered on a previous getaway. The wedding was tiny — the hotel was at capacity with the 35 close friends, family and fashion luminaries that had been invited, so there was a bit of a hoo-ha when Marc Jacobs rang to say he was going to drop by in his helicopter for a surprise visit.

They ate cheese sandwiches and drank 28 bottles of vodka, as well as champagne, wine and tequila, served by David Waddington from the hip London restaurant Bistrotheque.

“It was all a bit much really,” says Grand. “We were in church in the middle of a lake and there was a thunderstorm. I’m not a very religious person, but it was so romantic.

I fainted twice at the altar.” She likes to pretend she is a practical sort, but there is a definite air of the unreal in her voice. “My dad was there looking dead chuffed with all these really dolled-up girls cooing over him.”

Never a slave to tradition, the bride spurned white. “I wore an Azzedine Alaïa brown snakeskin dress, which he tortured me for about two months to get into, but at least it’s something I can wear again. I didn’t want some stupid white dress; it seems like such a waste.

A friend in Birmingham used to make wedding dresses and we’d think it was funny to try them on, these big meringue numbers.” rand’s influence in the world of fashion is enormous. If you have passed a Calvin Klein underwear advert on a billboard or flicked over an Armani Jeans advert in a magazine — she picked the models and the clothes, decided the mood. If you have bought a pair of knock-off Louis Vuitton shoes in the past two years — well, she helped design the original. She may not be a household name, but everyone at some point will have seen, worn or wanted to wear her work. That celebrities and leading fashion designers practically fall over themselves to heap fawning accolades on her bears testimony to Grand’s considerable power. She possesses the mysterious “cool” factor that so many aspire to. Yet, for someone who hangs out with Marc Jacobs, Victoria Beckham, Agyness Deyn and Patsy Kensit, she seems remarkably ordinary.

“We go out every now and then,” Beckham tells me. “I wouldn’t like to say she’s a troublemaker, but it’s always guaranteed to be a lot of fun. I was a bit nervous of her at first, she has such a reputation for being great. I thought she’d be older; she’s so young to have achieved what she has.” Grand styled the Spice Girls in their mid-1990s heyday. “She’s been so supportive of me since I’ve been working in the fashion industry,” says Beckham. “If I have any questions, she’s the first person I’ll get on the phone and say ‘I’m doing this, what do you think?’ She has so many influential people listening to her, and she’s really earned that respect.”

Patsy Kensit agrees: “She’s really kind and not a bitch. I’ve never heard her be horrible, ever. She blows the myth of the ‘fashion person’ out of the water.” The two became friends when a fashion shoot turned into a tequila-drinking session 17 years ago. “I think people can get quite carried away in that role. I always knew she would go on to great things; she always gets it right. I’m not surprised about her success. When I first met her she was just this girl with two bin bags of clothes. She gets clothes delivered by private jet now, but she’s still the same person.

“Her hen night was the best party I have been to recently. It was girls and gays, and Jeremy [Healy, Kensit’s husband] DJed. We danced in the garden way past the wee small hours. It’s become a private joke. We text each other, ‘Are you still dancing in the garden?’ Katie’s just a laugh. She’s a great girl who’s sublimely determined and easy to work with, and there’s no ego — she has the knack of reading people.”

“She is not jaded,” coos Mark Frith, the editor of Time Out and an editorial consultant for Love, the biannual fashion tome of which Grand is the editor-in-chief. “She likes fashion for what it is, which is this fascinating visual world.”
page 1

Some Like It Hot

Quote:
Having tied the knot, Grand flew straight back to London without a honeymoon — Mackey’s tour dates had been set in January and couldn’t be changed, and she needed to finish off the second issue of Love.

She selects the writers, photographers, stylists, make-up artists, hair stylists and subjects. The first issue caused a stir with its naked cover girl — the plus-sized pop star Beth Ditto. Editorial content was kept to a few lines here and there; airbrushing was minimal. It speaks volumes about her standing that Condé Nast, the publishers of Love, gave Grand her own magazine. Love instantly sold out.

“She has this slight outsider view,” says Frith. “She’s very questioning about the fashion world at times and likes to shake it up a bit.”

Today Grand is dressed in a simple black dress and flat sandals. Her black hair is frizzy and the famously generous front teeth are framed by a face bare of make-up. But she is, of course, wearing labels from the highest end of fashion: Azzedine Alaïa (the dress) and Prada (the shoes). The 38-year-old speaks in a soft Brummie accent. “The last issue was quite mature,” she says, looking at the pages of issue No 2, which are pasted on the wall of Love’s London office in Clerkenwell. “So we decided to do a youth issue. I wanted to get a sense of what 15-year-olds were into. A lot of those London kids, they’re all hanging out with each other and are all so educated. You know, my husband… ” she pauses at the novelty. They finally decided to get married after he read an interview she had given in which she said he wouldn’t marry her. “My husband has a 13-year-old son, and all his school friends are children of famous film directors or musicians, and they are so sussed, they think everything is so boring. So it was hard, actually.”

Mackey’s son, Marley, lives with them every weekend and for a day or two in the week. “He’s a great kid. Very cool. At the wedding he obviously thought we were all so old and stupid — he’s 13, so everyone over 18 is boring.” Grand herself doesn’t want children. “It’s a bit like going to India — I can’t ever imagine myself going. I just never wanted to have kids. It’s just one of those things, some women just don’t.”

The Love office is an air-conditioned oasis of calm. Her young staff work silently amid a sea of robots fashioned from novelty trinkets sent from press offices. They barely look up as she bounces through the room and squeals an excited “Hiya” at me. She has been commissioning big-name photographers to shoot no-name people; it’s her reaction to celebrity culture. “I thought it was interesting to add the new category of ‘unknown’ into the mix,” she says, looking thoughtfully at the layout on the wall. On the other hand, some of these youngsters have very famous parents, so the cover still reads like a junior Who’s Who.

“She’s like a whirlwind that sucks in information everywhere she goes,” gushes Ben Reardon, the editor of the style-magazine i-D. “Katie is a visionary.” Then there are the industry heretics, one of whom tells me (off the record — they are far too scared to cross Grand; it would be career suicide) that the first issue was a “load of self-indulgent editorial nonsense, a complete waste of a fiver — there was nothing to read and the pictures were really boring”.

One of her two cover stars, Alex Hartley, is an 18-year-old music teacher. He had no idea who Grand, David Sims — the photographer who shot him — or the hairstylist, one of the best in the industry, were. Alex, who they found on a social-networking site, is still not sure why he’s on the cover. “I’m just a guy from a small town,” he says. “I’m very lucky. And very excited. And very grateful to have worked with such amazing people.” The other cover star is Coco Sumner, the daughter of Sting and a rising musician. She was shot by the photographers Mert and Marcus, who are known for their super-glossy fantastical images. Grand had them shoot Coco in the clothes she walked in off the street in, with no hair or make-up. “She’s pretty unknown: what’s the point of reinventing her when no one knows what you are reinventing?” she says. She is shrewdly tapping into the new spirit of the times — heavily airbrushed celebrities seem gauche and embarrassing during a recession.

Although from an advertising point of view Condé Nast may have wanted Love to be more obviously a fashion magazine, they have been relatively hands-off. Agreeing to publish Love was a huge commitment at a financially unstable moment, but it could pay off — in terms of cachet at least.

Grand’s first foray into publishing was to set up Dazed and Confused, the trendsetting magazine of the 1990s, with the writer and editor Jefferson Hack and the portrait photographer Rankin, Grand’s then-boyfriend (she met them both in a bar). From there she skipped to Another Magazine as launch editor, then to The Face as fashion director. It was during her stint at The Face that she set up another era-defining fashion publication, Pop. This was 2000, and Grand went about “reinventing” celebrities left, right and centre. Madonna was shot in black and white, semi-naked and vulnerable; Liz Hurley appeared looking toned, tanned and fierce in a cut-out bikini, six weeks after giving birth; and Agyness Deyn graced the cover in fluorescent “new-rave” hues, parping on a whistle.

Grand styles the catwalk shows and advertising campaigns of some of the biggest names in fashion: Marc Jacobs, Louis Vuitton, Giles Deacon, Calvin Klein Underwear, Dior Homme, Prada. “Katie has such a lucid and bold vision of fashion. I always admired her work. She’s never afraid of anything,” says Miuccia Prada. For those who don’t know what stylists do, they help push the designer in a certain direction with the theme of the collection, the colours and the models that are used. They make sense of what a designer is doing, rather like art curators.

“Working with Katie Grand is great on all levels,” says the designer Marc Jacobs, with whom she has worked for several years. “She is inspiring, and her energy provides a great lift. Her references and constant interest in pop culture and youth fill me with creative ideas.” Grand grins. “People don’t want you to invent the wheel, they want you to help them. Sometimes it’s hard: sometimes they just want you there at 3am to play Dolly Parton and lighten the mood; sometimes you have to hold back your opinions. The older and more experienced I get, the harder it’s become to sit in a room and be subservient.”
Page 2

Some Like It Hot

Quote:
It’s hard to imagine her ever having been subservient. There is steeliness behind that sunny exterior. Her nickname is “Katie Ten-Grand-a-Day”, because that’s how much she’s supposed to earn for her styling work. She laughs when I try and winkle out of her what she gets paid: “Sometimes it’s a lot, other times it’s a little.” She denies that money is what drives her. “What gets me going is trying to do good, credible work with talented people. I find it very hard to do jobs just for the money. I still do shows I don’t get paid for.” Such as those of her long-term friend, the fashion designer Giles Deacon. “She’s my eyes to the world,” he says. “When you’re in the middle of a collection, your point of view can get a bit one-sided, but she comes in and turns everything on its head. We’ve known each other since our days at St Martins. She has brilliant intuition and I trust her implicitly. She is brutally honest and aware of everything.”

“There’s a process where you end up working with people that you respect and the other people fall by the wayside,” says Grand. She remains incredibly ambitious. “I think I must be, otherwise I’d still be on my honeymoon… I was definitely very ambitious in my twenties. I wanted to style the Prada show, edit a magazine, and own a house by the time I was 30. It’s that list of boxes you need to tick off or you can’t sleep at night. I’ve done a lot of the things I set out to do, so I don’t need to prove myself any more.”

Grand has often said that she was a geeky teenager. Brought up an only child by her dad, a cancer-research academic, in Selly Oak, a suburb of Birmingham, she “did maths in my lunch break”. She smiles: “No one liked me. I was a complete nerd.”

School was Harborne Hill Comprehensive, which, according to Grand, nearly closed down for having such an appalling exam success rate just before she went there. Having failed her 11-plus, she had no choice but to attend. “I was on Blue Peter, too — and that really didn’t help my reputation for being square.”

I ask her about her mother, who left when she was seven, and she waves her hand dismissively. “It just felt normal being brought up by him and not seeing her all the time, you know how it does when you’re a kid.” She was evidently a bit of a handful. “Dad was really lenient and liberal and used to go away and let us trash the house. I remember phoning him and asking him if I could go to London shopping — we used to go down to the Great Gear Market. I was 13 and it was a Monday morning, and he said, ‘Yeah, okay.’ He’s brilliant and cool and we are still really close.”

“Everywhere she goes, Katie is always the one with the biggest voice, the biggest teeth, the biggest hair and the most ridiculous and fabulous outfit in the room,” says Ben Reardon of i-D.

“I’m really practical,” insists Grand. “I go to the gym most mornings and I walk everywhere, so that’s why I wear flat shoes and no make-up. It’s not vanity; it’s laziness. I didn’t wear make-up on my wedding day because I didn’t want mascara running down my face if I cried.”

There is an unspoken pressure in the fashion industry to be stick-thin and look 17. It’s been noted that Grand herself ate, well, nothing for quite a long time, a typical meal being a few fruit pastilles and a couple of spoonfuls of muesli with water. “Anorexia has nothing to do with fashion,” she says rather defensively. “There’s a million other contributing factors.” Then she clams up — it’s clear that talking about food is opening a can of worms. “This whole office is obsessed with food,” she says firmly. “Or no food. Or how long they can go to the gym for.” I’ve heard that food is banned in the office: Ryvitas are acceptable, but pasta salads are not.

There is a rumour going round that Condé Nast is grooming her to be the next editor of British Vogue. Of course, that’s not the sort of rumour that you’d want to kill off. Grand rolls her eyes. “Yes, when I was 17 I said I wanted to edit Vogue. I kind of regret saying it because it’s caused me so much trouble. But, you know, when I was 17 I did want to edit Vogue! I don’t think Condé would have given me my own magazine if replacing Alexandra Shulman was on their agenda, but I am very grateful that they did.”

Love, which sits on the newsagents’ shelves between Vanity Fair and Vogue, thanks to the muscle of Condé Nast, is priced at £5. “I think that’s what is going to make it recession-proof,” she laughs. “You can go and look at some things, you can keep it and it’s a bit like a book ’cause it’s really big. You get a lot of bang for your buck!”

She calls most things “jolly” — people, clothes, a night out. Grand is delightfully English with her sense of humour. “I’m not very funny, but I find lots of things funny.” Such as? “Oh, you know, the fashion industry… Sheep. It’s that very English thing, which is probably why, as a group, we are influential worldwide — never taking things too seriously. It’s a very unbourgeois point of view.”

She has three whole rooms of clothes in her house in Tufnell Park in north London. “They are all packed on rails in alphabetical order, and then sections, so if someone wants to see parkas, I can have my assistant send them the section. Then I have another room for magazines. I’m a terrible hoarder. Steve has the basement. He keeps his records in there. It’s a bit damp and the rabbit has started to nibble on them.”

There is a scene in the fashion-centric blockbuster The Devil Wears Prada where Meryl Streep, playing the editor of a high-end fashion magazine, tells her gawky assistant that it’s not just any shade of blue she is wearing — it has been chosen from the top by highly consummate fashion professionals and has worked its way down from the runway to the “outlet store” where the assistant bought it.

Grand is not like this: she isn’t one to judge what people are wearing, because that’s what keeps her in business. I ask her how much time she puts into picking her own outfit every morning. She laughs heartily at that. “I only think about it if I have to get a train at five in the morning. Otherwise it’s totally instinctive.”
Page 3

interview from the times

Some Like It Hot

you can see katie watching in amazement at tony hart drawing

(www.youtube.com/user/stylistaonline)

V.I.P.

Vogue Russia September 2009 Freja Beha by Willy Vanderperre, style Katie Grand
scanned by achAT

29-08-2009
fashion elite

Thanks, Mirik!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »