How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-08-2011
front row

I think Kirstie is a fantastic editor, she cares alot about the australian fashion industry. I cant say the same for Harper's Editor: Edwina McCann because shes not a very visible figure (for me personally) in the industry. She and Harpers seem to like to stay in their own bubble. Even though VA does have its fair amount of re-prints, its not as frequent or as abundant as it was say...4 years ago where i remember it was re-prints galore. But at least with their current crop of re-prints...they're good choices and they at least resemble something that aussie readers can appreciate and take interest in. Shes certainly raise the standards at Vogue and i like that.

10-08-2011
backstage pass

i agree ^ ... i love her & how she is such a promoter of australian fashion, models & culture ... i think more editors of local editions of a global magazine brands should take her cue to promote the local industry more ... it has been great to see the sep 2011 cover get so much great feedback & to see such a thick issue for VA ... i say keep up the great work, although the typography & layout of their covers generally has been an issue for sometime ...

10-08-2011
on the come up

I will always have respect for Kirstie. She was the first person in the fashion industry I looked up to at the age of 12

09-09-2011
trendsetter

Kirstie at VFNO Sydney 2011
Source: vogue.com.au
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 611199-1_n.jpg (39.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 611205-1_n.jpg (36.5 KB, 0 views)

16-05-2012
front row

Vogue editor sacked as heads roll at News Magazines
Quote:
The Australian fashion industry is in shock following the sudden exit of Vogue Australia editor-in-chief Kirstie Clements after 10 years as editor-in-chief of the magazine.
businessday.com.au rest of article here

16-05-2012
trendsetter

Very sad! I hope she left on her accord and resigned rather being sacked! She's been such a force in the Aus fashion industry!

16-05-2012
backstage pass

I am so sad, she was one of my fave editors of any magazine and I think she did an incredible job of Vogue during her tenure. It was my favourite Australian fashion mag.

Last edited by samoanceleb; 16-05-2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Link already posted before
16-05-2012
tfs star

I'm actually quite happy to see her go. There were no real innovative ideas to the magazine, and as many have said, they reprinted so many editorials.

Sadly the best part was always the cover.

16-05-2012
backstage pass

Kristie was my favourite editor in Australia. What she did for Vogue was bring much needed consistency and maturity after a tumultuous slew of editors at the beginning of her tenure. But most of all she celebrated Australian fashion and sensibility. Instead of imitating what was happening overseas only, she was able to give language and validity to unpretentious Australian fashion and consumers. In other words, she was real - from watching TV (her Voice tweets) to body and image issues in her Sunday columns. Her support of local models is second to none out of any magazine anywhere in the world. No other edition of Vogue probably has as many homegrown nationals on their covers like Vogue Australia did under Clements’s tenure from Gemma Ward – Catherine McNeil – Samantha Harris – Codie Young - Alice Burdeu and Nicole Trufino to name a few. And when she featured them, they were not all superstars already. Her covers this year in particular have had fashionistas the world over excitedly blogging and posting on forums, effusive in their praise of her and the magazine. She was always classy but never pretentious. I will miss her at Vogue. She was one of the main reasons I continued to purchase Vogue Australia from time to time. In my opinion no other Australian women’s fashion magazine came close. I hope she will go to better things and I hope Vogue doesn’t turn a tabloid or predictable publication under the also very talented McCann.

16-05-2012
V.I.P.

I liked her realness too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoanceleb View Post
Her support of local models is second to none out of any magazine anywhere in the world. No other edition of Vogue probably has as many homegrown nationals on their covers like Vogue Australia did under Clements’s tenure from Gemma Ward – Catherine McNeil – Samantha Harris – Codie Young - Alice Burdeu and Nicole Trufino to name a few.
To add to your list, Abbey Lee Kershaw (4), Rosie Tupper (2), Julia Nobis, Valerija Erohkina, Myf Shepherd, Elyse Taylor (2), Katie Braatved (a New Zealander, but still, completely unknown with whom Kiristie took a chance).

I'm quite scared that under new direction, and the need to increase the poor sales, it will go the way of purely celebrity covers.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Bianca* View Post
I'm quite scared that under new direction, and the need to increase the poor sales, it will go the way of purely celebrity covers.
I'm worried too. I would be so disappointed if Edwina went the Bazaar route and went all celebrity! What set VA apart was the constant use of models!

Last edited by AL92; 16-05-2012 at 10:27 AM.

17-05-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL92 View Post
I'm worried too. I would be so disappointed if Edwina went the Bazaar route and went all celebrity! What set VA apart was the constant use of models!
I'm worried Three! In a great interview (link below) with Clements 48 hours before her departure, she notes that one of their strengths have been their covers and that 10 of their 12 covers would normally be models not celebrities and even then, Australian celebs only.

To be honest, I don't want to like VA under Mcann just because I respected Clements so much, however I really hope that Macaan doesn't change it all up and go down the Bazaar celeb route, and just predictable safe, nice edgy looking edits that IMO lack originality, substance and heart, looking like any mag anywhere in the world. I liked VA for its distinct Australian feel.

I hope Clements ends up somewhere wonderful as SMH reported that in the weeks leading up to it, she was looking at possible Consultant positions at some luxury houses.

http://www.pedestrian.tv/fashion/fea...r-of/76104.htm

Last edited by samoanceleb; 17-05-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Add link
17-05-2012
fashion icon

The way editors are let go really are so terrible.

17-05-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Bianca* View Post
I liked her realness too.

To add to your list, Abbey Lee Kershaw (4), Rosie Tupper (2), Julia Nobis, Valerija Erohkina, Myf Shepherd, Elyse Taylor (2), Katie Braatved (a New Zealander, but still, completely unknown with whom Kiristie took a chance).

YES absolutely about all the Antipodean models including Katie who I love. The thing is although HB has always killed VA in advertising, the circulations for both magazines is not that different. I was surprised to see that HB only have relatively not much more readers than VA. Which would've brought on Mia Freedman's blog yesterday about magazines loosing their relevance.

17-05-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicciolina View Post
The way editors are let go really are so terrible.
Exactly! Reminds me of when Grace Mirabella at American Vogue was ousted at Conde Nast in 1988 to make way for Anna Wintour. Apparently she found out while watching TV at home. Thankfully Rupert Murdoch called her and offered to give her, her own magazine which became Mirabella, a mag I used to really like especially some of their covers.

A young Amber Valletta

Micheala Bercu who ironically was the first cover girl that Anna Wintour choose on her first cover

Source both pics: http://www.topmodelsoftheworld.com Photographers: unknown

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
australia, clements, editorinchief, kirstie, vogue