How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-01-2011
windowshopping

Oroma Elewa - Editor in Chief, Pop'Africana
Her style:

Her words:

"Pop’Africana is a bi-annual fashion and art publication dedicated to delivering a rejuvenated image of Africans. It's for the fashion and culture
enthusiasts who have discovered and yet to discover it"

Doing what she does best:

She is making waves in the fashion industry and art world from having her magazine sold at the Gagosian Gallery to getting major love from Vogue Italia, Dazed & Confused, Purple, etc etc.

We need more more more of Oroma

17-01-2011
V.I.P.

Yes we do need more of her.

Interview with Dazed Digital
Ataui
Quote:
Founded and visually directed by Oroma Elewa, the semi-annual fashion and art magazine celebrating Africa using bright pop art colours and high-end aesthetics continues its direction to stand out from the masses of generic fashion magazines. Pop'Africana prides itself on delivering a rejuvenated image of Africa that is graphically creative and authentic. Featuring beautiful visuals and well-resourced content, the magazine is a refreshing substitute by focusing on the celebration of certain ideals and playing on art influences. They recently released a now sold out mini-book as a prelude to their first issue due this fall Fall/Winter, whilst their blog features updates on backstage photos, events and parties to favourite models of the moment.

Dazed Digital: Why did you think it was important to create a magazine focused on Africa in addition to the multitude of fashion/art magazines out there?
Oroma Elewa: Yes, there is a plethora of fashion/art magazines out there, but I don’t think there is a multitude of non-mainstream, art-driven, inspiring magazines about Africans out there. And if there is, I don’t know of them. But whether or not these publications exist, there can always be more. Pop’Africana is different in many regards. It’s younger; it’s braver; and it’s honest. The crux of Pop’Africana is from a direct place that speaks to Africans in a sincere language. In conveying all this, I wanted to produce a magazine with an African aesthetic that can sit comfortably next to my favorite fashion/art/culture magazines, such as A Magazine Curated By, Purple, Dazed & Confused, and Self Service - competing strongly in content and design.

DD: Do you think this will limit you in any way in terms of the future?
Oroma Elewa: If content determines readership—which I think it should—then no I don’t think so. Pop’Africana has a global focus and a global audience. It’s simply about a particular aesthetic and style, but the reach is by no means stunted. There are a lot of magazines out there that occupy a niche that is solely western or with a stamped-on aesthetic, but this didn’t stop me from buying, loving or wanting to be a part of it regardless of who created or whom it was created for. Besides the world is so intertwined that, one way or another, the extent to which Pop’Africana reaches individuals can only grow to be limitless.

DD: What is the aim of the magazine?
Oroma Elewa: When I created Pop’Africana, I remember telling my boyfriend that if only ten Africans that were as fearless or as weird or as individualistic as I am understood and loved the magazine then my goal is accomplished. The main aim to inspire and celebrate individualism.

DD: How did you source your team to produce the magazine?
Oroma Elewa: In all honesty, people find me really—and, of course, I also find people. The internet and the growth of social network portals have made this team building process pretty easy. Also I’ve also been fortunate to have known some people prior to launching Pop’Africana that I presently work with. Pop’Africana currently has a team, a group of African creatives in New York, Paris, London and Dar es Salaam.

DD: What is your background? Say, writing, styling, and design?
Oroma Elewa: I went to school for design (fashion), but I’ve returned to the classroom on a slightly different tangent. I’ve worked for a few design houses on both the retail and design ends. Naturally, I picked up photography along the way because I wanted to be able to produce my ideas from conception to actual/final product without depending on anyone. Being a visual thinker, a marriage with photography was inevitable. I’ve been drawing ever since I can remember; I always keep a sketchbook handy in times when the rush to doodle overwhelms me. Random, but I’m really into facial features. My whole life literally revolves around art so Pop’Africana didn’t just happen. It brings everything I love to do and do well together.

DD: Who inspires you?
Oroma Elewa: Inspiration rarely remains firm for me. Many are fleeting visuals that are both trivial yet substantive (i. e., the 9 year old daughter of my Facebook friend inspired a whole editorial). I love Kanye West because he’s an innovator and Bi Kidude for timeless drive and her childlike spirit. Ben Okri carries with him age-old secrets about Nigeria’s art of god worship and I love that. Ken Saro-Wiwa should have written more books in Pidgin English. Viviane Sassen is quite amazing. I want to shoot Amber Rose.

DD: What are your future plans?
Oroma Elewa: For the magazine: to print and make Pop’Africana local, everywhere. For myself, I plan to work as an agency represented creative director and photographer.
http://www.dazeddigital.com/fashion/...icana-goes-pop

Atong?
and the lady herself

lovely lip colour on her!

Her baby

popafricana.com

Last edited by |BellaDonna|; 17-01-2011 at 03:07 PM.
17-01-2011
V.I.P.

MiuMiu Party

hanneli.com

17-01-2011
V.I.P.

how adorable and ... modest? lol I think she's covering her bum with the coat

Date: October 30, 2010
Event: VISIONAIRE Haolloween Party
Venue: MoMA PS1
guestofaguest.com

Look of the day Feature Vogue Italia Black

Oroma Elewa does her interpretation of the denim shirt look with a Prada turban, Miu Miu collar, demin shirt, oversize clutch and burberry heels.
vogue.it/en/vogue-black

More from her photography portfolio from her Native shoot (a Pop'Africana editorial) which the 2 above pics in the Dazed Digital article are also a part of.

models.com

27-01-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
My work is inspired by a vision I have for Africa and Africans. A vision of an Africa that shelters and respects individualism and for Africans, that the world's opinion of us is redirected"

Why did you leave Nigeria?
"Moving to America for my family and I was somewhat of an economic exile. We left Nigeria for the U.S. to pursue a better quality of life offered through academic opportunities and work."

What do you feel is missing in America's understanding of African culture?
"The diversity in our culture and traditions. A lot of people don't get it and I don't expect them to - unless you are African and have lived life as an African or have operated with that salient identity, it's quite hard to fully understand or wrap your head around the psyche, or know how to fully present who we are as individuals to the world."

What is your main inspiration, in other words what drives you to create?
"My work with Pop'Africana is inspired by a vision I have for Africa and Africans. A vision of an Africa that shelters and respects individualism and for Africans, that the world's opinion of us is redirected."

Pop'Africana your magazine, what made you think you could publish a magazine on your own? Did you have publishing experience?
"Sorry to disappoint, I don't have any publishing experience, but you have to admit, the audacity is what makes it interesting. Besides, publishing is changing, there's room for experimentalism. Independent publishing, from blogs to e-zines, has given a lot of individuals a voice to discuss issues or express themselves. I simply seized advantage of the zeitgeist. To answer your question about why I thought I could publish Pop'Africana on my own, the need to document the African experience and redirect the opinion of the African superseded the need to have everything in place first. I do not claim to be the most professional anything but what I did was that I take a shot at what I truly believed and what I truly believed was lacking for a global African community. My hope is that people will see this before any of my shortcoming."

What is your favorite thing about New York?
"Access. None of this would be possible if I didn't live in New York City. So to be in a place that has sheltered and facilitated my ideas as a creative and connected me to likeminded people is why I'm grateful to New York."

What intrigues you about Europe?
"I've actually never been to Europe. I think I would like to wait until I visit before I talk about my intrigue. I have experienced Europe vicariously through books and films, but there has to be more to it than just scenes from films."

If you no longer publish your magazine, what would you consider doing and why?
"I would still want to be heavily involved in the arts. Whether it'sworking for another publication or independently as an art/creative director, curating fashion presentations or striking out independently as a fashion portrait photographer, my foot will always be in the arts."

Are you political and if so, what gets you the most passionate to discuss, and if not politically, why not?
"I wouldn't consider myself political, but I have an opinion."

Women in the world, who is most impressive, for any reason?
"I don't see things as who is the most or best at anything. I am impressed by a lot of amazing women, including my grandmother, Brenda Fassie, Nina Simone, Grace Jones, Anna Wintour, and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I draw inspiration from these and many other very gifted, strong women."

If you could change anything, what would it be?
"There are just too many things that warrant change, both at a personal and worldly level. Do I answer it selfishly or in a sophisticated, humanitarian sense? I'm torn, so I'll simply pass."

Bethann Hardison
video http://www.vogue.it/en/vogue-black/s...01/oroma-elewa and more pictures
vogue.it/en/vogue-black

28-03-2011
V.I.P.

Another feature in Vogue mag March 2011 this time

Quote:
“I wrap myself in African fabrics, which remind me of my childhood. Turbans are very regal, they also help any bad hair day” Photographed at Gron in Brooklyn, NYC.
beautyisdiverse.com

22-06-2011
V.I.P.

cocoandcreme.com
Vogue Italia fails to credit Pop'Africana
Quote:
Last month, we featured Oroma Elewa in our Closet Crush feature. Oroma is the founder and director of Pop’ Africana, a high-fashion magazine looking to enlighten the world on the beauty of African culture and style. We have also frequently featured Vogue Italia’s all-black spreads, which are working to promote diversity in the fashion world. Diversity of models perhaps almost exclusively because when it came time to give credit to a black publication for photos used in a feature, Vogue Italia did not hold up its end of the bargain.

The striking image shown above is one from Pop’ Africana’s first issue, featuring new sensation Ataui Deng. Last week, Ataui was profiled on Vogue Italia’s Black page as a New Face, interviewed by fashion legend Bethann Hardison. In the piece, images from Ataui’s various fashion spreads were shown from Bergdorf Goodman, i-D, Elle Italia and more. All are credited, but when it came to Pop’ Africana’s image, it is merely credited as “French”. The same goes for a few images from French Revue de Mode, though the photographer for the shoot, Julia Noni is credited earlier in the piece.

Is this just a mistake or something intentional? Oroma herself as well as Dominick Rolle, a Pop’ Africana supporter seem to agree with the latter.

“The racial undertones of a continual failure by European fashion magazines to credit the amazing work presented in Pop’ Africana to the African writers, editors and photographers that create most of it has inspired a new direction for my new blog…Do we dare be so creative and well put together that it competes directly with or can stand boldly next to the tanks, dazed and confused, vogue italias’ and purples of this world? While this new direction in tone and delivery for my blog will make me very unpopular, many editors and bloggers have forgotten the importance and the responsibility they hold as writers.” – Dominick Rolle & Oroma Elewa
For more Visit www.popafricana.com

22-06-2011
V.I.P.

in addition to the above quote it was only by Mr. Rolle

Quote:
Thank you for bringing the credit error on Vogue.it to my attention.
I’m thankful that you see these small details and that Pop’Africana has this much support. Please understand that these types of errors are bound to happen in publishing and do not reflect racist views on part of the magazine.
Vogue Italia has made a correction to the article.
Vogue Italia is part of my fashion family. The magazine supports my work and I, of them in promoting a positive black image.
The quote in the post below isn’t mine but that of Dominick Rolle, a Pop’Africana supporter in response to the credit error on Vogue.it
Dominick Rolle is simply expressing her/his views on the subject and is entitled to an opinion.
I still hold my grounds, however on mistakes editors/bloggers/writers make in publishing content without proper research, the pace of fashion and how delivering these content to readers is one major cause in this lack of research. And the idea that a certain quality to things can only be created by certain kind of people or in my case, a certain kind of publication and plan to touch these issues in a later post.
This new direction I speak of for my blog, simply more meaningful dialogue.
Thanks for reading,
Oroma

12-09-2011
V.I.P.

PURLE FASHION #16 F/W 11.12

Oroma Elewa by Magnus Unnar

purple.fr

09-11-2011
windowshopping

Oroma Elewa in Vogue US September 2011
Oroma Elewa in Vogue US September 2011
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oroma.jpg (391.0 KB, 5 views)

09-11-2011
windowshopping

Oroma Elewa and Shala Monroque at the Viktor & Rolf Flower Bomb anniversary
Sources: http://www.vogue.com.au/ , style.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 607623-1_l.jpg (155.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 227925_209884222375758_209872702376910_631521_7910698_n.jpg (32.0 KB, 7 views)

21-02-2012
V.I.P.

NYFW Streetstyle 2012

fashionologie.com

I think there's a pic of her with Shala in Shala's thread

08-04-2012
trendsetter

modmods.com

in head to toe dvf

Last edited by ms_prissy; 08-04-2012 at 02:52 AM.
28-07-2013
doldrums

Pop Africana came to an end and it seems like she's working on a new project, The Africana Global Book Of Style. I have to say what she did was very gutsy re, starting a magazine with no prior experience.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
chief, editor, elewa, oroma, popafricana