How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-02-2008
The future is stupid

Polaroid isn't discontinuing these films because of lack of demand...it's because they no longer want to own factories & have highly-paid production workers. There is plenty of demand for film & instant film products in the digital age.

Most people don't know that Fuji makes instant products or that many are compatible with the Polaroid equipment they already own...and Fuji needs to communicate that message as soon as possible.

10-02-2008
Confused & Bewildered

I think it hit the news again due to the imminent closure of the plants and the staff layoffs.

10-02-2008
Fashion Icon googoo gagaa

where can i find polaroids in new york?

Confused & Bewildered

Normally, I would suggest eBay, but there is a massive boycott in motion to protest policy changes and I recommend AGAINST any buying or selling there for the forseeable future.

10-02-2008
trendsetter

OMG! I really hope Fuji or any other company will take over and make the same film. I really can't stand the thought of giving up my poloroid cool cam.

front row

SAY WHAT????! Why didn't I know about this before? Not only will it be nearly impossible for me to find film now, but it'll probably cost me an arm and a leg Bummer.

front row

Oh what a shame I used to love my Polaroid camera when I was a kid.

I might go buy another one for old time's sake before they phase out altogether.

11-02-2008
V.I.P.

yesterday's washington post

Polaroid Technology Fades Out
By Frank Ahrens
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, February 9, 2008; D01

When Polaroid users pulled a picture out of their cameras, an image would slowly appear before their eyes. Now, like the process in reverse, the image of the Polaroid instant camera -- dimming for years -- has finally gone black.
Polaroid, based in Waltham, Mass., is shutting down factories in the United States and abroad as the company abandons the technology that made the instant photo possible, the Boston Globe reported yesterday. The company will cease production of its film by next year.
The artsy, instantly gratifying Polaroid images, reeking of processing chemicals, have finally been done in by endless Flickr Web pages full of digital images, flawlessly produced by cameras that do not require film, emulsion or anything bigger than a shirt pocket to carry them around.
Polaroid introduced its instant camera in 1948, perfect timing to catch the mad tricycle rides of the first baby boomers, zipping around the new American suburbia. With its finely machined stainless steel body and black bellows, the Polaroid Land Camera looked anything but modern. Its instant film came in roll.
Polaroid moved to cartridge film in 1963 with its 100-series camera, which became a staple of professional photographers. They used the rugged Polaroid to take test photos, instantly checking lighting and composition before committing an image to negative.
But the company's boom and the Polaroid's place in the culture came with the SX-70, introduced in 1972. This groovy camera, with its aluminum and faux-leather body, was perfect for a hedonistic decade that couldn't take enough pictures of itself. They were good times for Polaroid; the company's employment peaked in 1978. A generation later, the Polaroid became a hipster must-have.
Now, it becomes little more than an image in history's digital scrapbook.

le rêve est réalité...
11-02-2008
The future is stupid

^they're being a bit over dramatic

11-02-2008
V.I.P.

hhhmmm... how does Polafuji sound?

11-02-2008
Meg
inspired contemplation

thats too bad. I love the way polaroids look and always wanted to get one but never got around to it. Since I'm originally from a very barren part of Canada though I don't see too many people stocking up...maybe there is still time....

11-02-2008
V.I.P.

why would people stock up, unless they're casting directors, model agents , anyone relevant to polas. imo.

12-02-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMagAddict View Post
Polaroid is not just open to licensing the production of their film to another company...they really want to...

The buzz right now is that perhaps Fuji will take over production.

Are they licensing the name too? If not, they should.

12-02-2008
tfs star

Aw Whaaat

I was gonna buy some film for mine just the other day! Now I'm going to have to pay ****loads of cash for them

Fashion Icon googoo gagaa

i ordered one and they cancelled it. I must find on in NYC ASAP

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
end, film, instant, polaroid, production