How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-02-2008
mme
backstage pass

I thought it was only a rumour till now Hmmm supposingly my grandpa was quite the camera junkie... I hope someone saved a polariod cam for me!!!

14-02-2008
tfs star

Need to get polaroid camera and film. PRONTO.

trendsetter

I found two packs of film from 2006 in my art drawer! but it's probably bad by now though

front row

noooooo! i just heard about this and got sad. i love my polaroids

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couture_Whore View Post
I found two packs of film from 2006 in my art drawer! but it's probably bad by now though
Expired polaroid film is the best! The results are unexpected and often very cool.:p

More Old Skool Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couture_Whore View Post
They will most likely still work.

I think any shortages in Polaroid film will be fixed soon. It's just the initial shock, the very last packs will be stamped USE BEFORE 12/09 or something.

princely

Is there really a shortage of film right now? I wanted to get some but I havent even looked yet. The horror...

15-02-2008
utterly superfluous

We're going to have to start a tFS stockpile of Polaroid film for everyone...

Seriously though, didn't this happen like three or four years ago? Actually maybe it was longer ago than that because if I remember correctly it was my AP Photography teacher telling me about it. Anyhow, someone mentioned that Polaroid was going to stop making film and somehow it never happened. Granted this seems far more definitive, but I'm going to hold onto the small delusion that this isn't really happening.

A collective fashion industry tear will be shed for the death of Polaroid film. Honestly, I was convinced that we kept them in business...

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms-nietzsche View Post
Expired polaroid film is the best! The results are unexpected and often very cool.:p
eehhh i don't think so...when i used one of the packs when it was still brand new, the colour was horrible when it developed. it was like a browny yellow and the picture was all faded. it definitely wasn't cool! hahaha! but now that i think about it, maybe it wasn't the film that sucked, it was my camera. i have the "cool cam" back from the early '90s...maybe it's too old or somethin'. ?! Here's a pic of the one i have:

source:thephotoforum.com

trendsetter

omg i'm such an idiot! i just realized something...during christmas time, one of my girlfriends was freakin' out b/c she didn't know what to get me and kept bugging me about what i wanted. so i mentioned that i wouldn't mind having a new polaroid camera...so she told me the next day she went looking for one and in 3 different stores, all the salespeople said they didn't carry them anymore. i thought it must have been a mistake or something or maybe they were just out b/c it's christmas but now i realize why!

Confused & Bewildered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUXXX View Post
Oooh...that pic is sooo cool. How did you do that?
My guess would be to take two pictures, cut them apart with a razor knife, separate the various layers (there are several in a Polaroid picture), then lay the layers containing the image over each other. Since the layers have to be more or less forcibly separated, you get the wrinkled edges whether you want them or not.

Quote:
That's around 7 times the size if a 35mm negative AND it's manipulatable in ways even 35mm can't be.
True, but you have what you have, you can't enlarge or reproduce them since there is no true negative in the sense of traditional film.

15-02-2008
my loves a pony.

I went to my local wal-mart and bought $60 worth of polaroid film.

i.e. I bought the last of thier polaroid stock. How selfish of me.

ps. That cool cam is so amazing!

And we liked to party
and we kept it live
and we had a three volume tome of contemporary slang
to keep a handle on all this jive.
15-02-2008
tfs star

I went to the photography supply store by my school yesterday to get polaroid film. They were hiding it because it's "sacred." So I assume production really is ending

couture_whore, I have no idea. In my desperate hunt to get more polaroid film I realized there are many different kinds of film and cameras.

Isn't there a movie about polaroids coming out soon (Shutter?). The company really should have waited, the movie possibly could inspire a polaroid revival.

trendsetter

How long with the film last in the boxes (ie- before you put it in the camera)? Does it last longer if you put it in the refrigerator?

16-02-2008
leave me with your Borneo

SX-70 Time Zero (my favorite Polaroid film) has been disappearing over the past few years. the camera is amazing (you can focus it anywhere from about 12 inches to infinity, and you can also adjust exposure) and the film is so unique that nothing else could ever replace it. Polaroid has a tutorial on their site that tells you how to adapt the camera to use regular Polaroid film packs, but it's just not the same (SX-70 film renders pictures in a difficult to describe, beautifully hazy almost-pastel). and now even that regular film is disappearing.

i love this hermetically sealed little packet of chemicals that somehow makes a picture. i have a few packs left of Time Zero that i've been saving, and now i'll never want to use them.

SX-70, opened/folded:

(fragment.biz)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
end, film, instant, polaroid, production