How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-06-2008
windowshopping

Thank you!
I adore his work.

18-06-2008
I'm a hunter

I really enjoy his work. You'd think it'd be your simple typical point-and-shoot photos, with the major discrepancy being the blatant abuse of nudity sometimes, maybe as means to add a special touch to an otherwise average shot, but it soo much more than that. There's just substance in his photographs, they truly evoke emotion. Not to mention, the composition kills me.

ryamcginley.com

20-06-2008
windowshopping

Yeah, I know. It should be boring and too 'hipster cool', but his work is rarely pretentious to me. 'Dakota', the second to last one in #47, is one of my very favourite images ever.

trendsetter

Thank you so much for posting. His work is as inspiring as he is.

earthbound

Simply Vera Vera Wang F/W 08.09 : Hanne, Olya Z, Simona, and Lily T. by Ryan McGinley

Scanned by Faith Akiyama from Fashion Rocks 2008

24-08-2008
V.I.P.

Is that Vera in the right hand corner?

24-08-2008
earthbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealseven View Post
Is that Vera in the right hand corner?
Yep, that's Vera.

24-08-2008
barack the vote

I love his work... so dreamy and ethereal.... the Sigur Ros collaboration is just great

03-09-2008
princely

Ryans work is being featured at Canadian store Aritzia. I'm not sure wht the point of it all is really, I walked by yesterday and saw his name on the window with some of his road trip photos hanging. I wasn't too fond of it all though since I'm not a fan of Aritzia and their attempts to be hip.

Last edited by yourbestfriend; 03-09-2008 at 02:36 PM.
03-09-2008
The future is stupid

^Aritzia sounds like the perfect fit for him then... attempting to be hip.

03-09-2008
V.I.P.

i really don't like this Very Wang thing ...
i just don't get why she asked Ryan to shoot something when the result isn't Ryan at all, imo ....

03-09-2008
windowshopping

I find the pictures nice.. but quite simple. im guessing that's what you like about them? To me they almost seem a bit amateur

windowshopping

Hi campaign for Wrangler in europe is beautiful. Cant find the images right now but will scan them as soon as i find them.

30-11-2008

Quote:
Photographers Katy Grannan, Jocelyn Lee, Ryan McGinley, Steve Pyke, Martin Schoeller and Alec Soth are featured in the National Portrait Gallery’s fourth installation of “Portraiture Now.” This series presents some of the most creative 21st-century portrait artists. The current installation, titled “Feature Photography,” identifies six critically acclaimed fine-art photographers who also have pursued editorial assignments for a variety of popular publications. The exhibition will be on view in six rooms on the first floor of the museum through Sept. 27, 2009.

“Each of these talented photographers is creating new and innovative portrayals of people for editorial assignments and major museum exhibitions,” said Martin E. Sullivan, director of the National Portrait Gallery. “‘Portraiture Now: Feature Photography’ captures today’s trends in contemporary photographic portraiture with pictures of both the well-known and anonymous.”

As the exhibition demonstrates, compelling editorial images are often created by photographers who have well-established fine-arts credentials. Their work appears in both established and avant-garde publications, including Esquire, GQ, the New Yorker, the New York Times Magazine, Index Magazine and Vice. Publishing editorial work while maintaining a fine-arts career follows a tradition established by such highly esteemed photographers as Edward Steichen, Irving Penn, Richard Avedon and Annie Leibovitz. Each gained a following through his or her magazine work.

Several sitters are instantly recognizable to viewers, including presidential candidates Sen. John McCain and Sen. Barack Obama and actors Angelina Jolie and Jack Nicholson, all by Schoeller; musician Billy Joel and actor Forest Whitaker by Grannan; musician Steven Morrissey (known primarily as Morrissey) by McGinley; Chinua Achebe, Henry Kissinger and Norman Mailer by Pyke. The artists all have different takes on how to portray people through photographs:

•Grannan is known for her distinctive, haunting portraits, often using the mundane particulars of everyday lives to heighten the viewer’s sense of her subjects’ individuality.

•Lee, who has taught photography at Princeton since 2003, explores environment and narrative play in the art of portraiture. This exhibition includes work that she completed in Maine.

•McGinley’s work in this exhibition comprises a group of photographs taken at several concerts headlined by Morrissey between 2004 and 2006. McGinley’s solo exhibition venues include the Whitney Museum of American Art and P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center.

•Pyke, on staff with the New Yorker since 2004, first won notice for his portrait style in the 1980s. He has long been fascinated by faces.

•Also a photographer for the New Yorker, Schoeller emphasizes his subjects’ facial features. Iconic faces can be seen anew when removed from their usual contexts and printed at 40 inches by 50 inches. In addition, his work has appeared in many other magazines, including GQ, People, Rolling Stone and Vanity Fair.

•Soth works with a large-format 8-inch by 10-inch camera; this exhibition includes a selection of his portraits of young women. His work is represented in several major collections, including the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, and the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.

The exhibition curators are Brandon Brame Fortune, Anne Collins Goodyear, Frank H. Goodyear III, Ann M. Shumard and Wendy Wick Reaves.
artdaily

V.I.P.

Have you guys noticed that Serena's mother in Gossip Girls has a huge photog' of him in her appt. ?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
mcginley, photographer, ryan