How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-12-2006
windowshopping

"its why I buy so much apc" Thats hilarious!

I am another major Sartorialist fan. I sent him an email once to tell him how much I him and I was surprised to see a reply in my inbox the next day. (Never mind that it was probably an automated reply... It made me feel special )

04-12-2006
front row

Can we post our favourite Sartorialist pics here? pleeease!

trendsetter

I browse his blog from time to time, I like that you can find so many different styles done in a good way in his blog. He doesn't just go for the uber trendy as some streetstyle blogs do, and as would be very easy to do in a city like New York I would imagine.

29-03-2007
trendsetter

his new video, style.com

http://mixmail.ya.com/app/message?l=...mp%3Bmbid%3Dsn

Last edited by JunyaSchick; 29-03-2007 at 12:45 AM.

15-08-2007
windowshopping

I've been a constant reader of his blog ever since it started. I like maybe 30% of it's content (which is a lot). What I dislike, and what has made me visit the blog less often, and view the comments less often, is the fact that he DELETE'S or, doesn't allow negative comments. Rarely do you read any harsh, negative comments. So IMO, even though it's a very well visited blog, I'm so pi..ed that the comments are so heavily biased and moderated. Several times have I written constructive criticism, or plainly my view on some of the photos. ALL the negative ones have not been approved. I used to visit this forum a lot when I first found out about it, especially the what am I wearing now thread, or whatever it's called. To my big surprise, even there, it's not allowed to give any critique towards other peoples clotes, syle etc. nor do I get any useful feedback for the outfits I posted. I'm sick of the fact that one have to be all goody goody positive about everything, and not be able to express ones opinion. That's how you LEARN - through other peoples feedback. I don't learn much from hearing "ooh that looks so good on you" "I love those read shoes" etc. - it's great for validation. But seriously Scott Schuman, and tfs users, get a grip and accept critique - ASK for critique! and use whatever feedback you want, and discard the feedback you don't want to use. There...I've said my peace. Critique is welcome

Last edited by Hitrate; 15-08-2007 at 08:40 PM.
19-03-2008
backstage pass

I enjoy the lack of negative comments. I mean these are just people on the street...not necessarily 'fashion' people, imagine how crushing it could be to get mean comments. I just don't see it as necessary. I look and if I don't like the picture, no big deal.

04-08-2008
oh! darling

"Here is the GAP Ad!" August 4, 2008 -
- The Sartorialist

Quote:
So, remember when I was shot for this back in April?

Well, here is the result.

Even though this blog is very personal it feels like it has grown bigger than me.

I used to occasionally post photos of myself, but now I feel much more self-conscious about doing that. However, this is a story that I shared a while ago and this feels like a fitting end on that episode.

oh! darling

The book has arrived!

Quote:
Well what can I say - the book is starting to roll off the presses.

Penguin just sent me one of the first printed copies.

It is so crazy to actually be holding the book I have been working on since January.

I know I took all of the pictures, I remember taking each one, but I still can't believe I took all of the photographs.

Tracy is holding the paperback version, and soon I will have a copy of the limited-edition hardcover with slipcase to show you.

This has been a labor of love. Taking the pictures, editing the pictures, arranging the pictures, doing most of the writing while I was still in Phoenix after my Dad died. It's hard to put into words how one feels looking at their own work presented like this - so I won't even try.

I hope you enjoy the book and I will keep you posted about the book signing tour, the SartoriaLUST pop-up shops, and any other events surrounding the launch of the book.

Below are links to some sites where you can pre-order the book. It comes out August 12th in the US, and worldwide by early September.

July 20 / The Sartorialist

V.I.P.

Does anyone know what happened with his section on style.com during the fashion weeks? Maybe Im wrong but I cant find it

19-10-2009
front row

The Sartorialist--the book
I love the book. It is small format, beautifully finished and very well laid out. Not much text--not even identifying the locations in most cases although it is sometimes possibly to tell from the context.

Both the book and the blog have their strengths. One of the main reasons I love the book so much is that it is not interactive, not digital--that somehow makes it easier, at least for me, to linger over some of the the pictures and enjoy the details, although the compact size works against it here. The images are super sharp--he is clearly a very technically gifted phototgrapher as well as having such a great eye for street fashion-- and the printing is high quality. The registration is off a bit (no more than a dot or two and you have to check with a glass to really see it) but that is the kind of thing that can come and go in a long run. Having been in the printing business for many years some of this stuff jumps off the page at me.

One fun thing to do on the blog is to save images that one particularly likes and look at some of the details magnified in an image viewer--and that gets rid of the clumsiness that comes from looking at the printed page thru a linen tester or a loupe.

I don't want to seem negative at all in these comments--I will most likely buy a several books as gifts for the holidays and I recommend the blog to lots of people.

29-12-2009
V.I.P.

L'Officel Homme 18
The Sartorialist by Milan Vukmirovic

source:scanned by sobigsobig

windowshopping

Anybody could translate it? thanks

Last edited by missfortune; 29-12-2009 at 04:16 AM.
30-12-2009
front row

I got the book a couple of months ago- I was expecting it to be larger, but it's a nice size- perfect to cart around in my bag whenever I'm travelling or on the move. And all the images may have been published on the blog before, but saving them in digital format just does not compare to actually having them on a page (one reason why I wished I lived in NY so I could see his exhibition too).
IMO his strength as a photographer lies in his eye for detail and composition. Sometimes I look at Garance's blog and it strikes me that her images are more beautiful than his, but I think they approach photography from two different perspectives and I like seeing both.

30-12-2009
V.I.P.

* wait a minute ... why this thread does exist when one thread i opened about tavi got closed, since i was told "at this stage we are not having blogger threads in Star Style because technically they are not 'celebrities' as such." *
should i open a Tavi thread in BTL ?

30-12-2009
front row

^ I don't know what the mods will say, but Scott Schuman is a professional photographer apart from being a blogger, and I guess the fact that he's had a book out makes him part of the fashion "establishment", so to speak, more than if he were just sitting behind a computer doing posts (he's worked for British Elle, style.com, GQ and other fashion publications too, even if it's his blog that placed him in the public eye and in that position in the first place).

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
blogger, photographer, sartorialist, schuman, scott