How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-10-2006
scenester

Love that Project Rungay blog entry on Tim. He's awesome.

02-10-2006
NOE
trendsetter

I adore his voice and his ability to explain things so well. His podcasts are my absolute favorite. Sometimes I re-listen to it JUST to hear him. I could listen to him read his grocery list.

V.I.P.

I was dying of laughter when Santino did his impression of him, hilarious!!!!

03-10-2006
fashion icon

^That was so awesome!! "carry on.."

04-10-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust
It's pathetic - this punk gets big bucks for doing a stupid show, which results in doubling the enrollment into Parsons fashion programm (which doubles the revenue), and still 85% of Parson's faculty is adjunct, without proper benefits.

Keith, is that you

04-10-2006
trendsetter

i tim gunn! i think he is great. i listen to his pod-cast every single episode cause he explains things so well. and the guy just seems so nice.

04-10-2006
front row

Sarah13..that was funny. And, its probably Keith! Punk..

24-10-2006
Fashion Icon googoo gagaa

Make it work make it work i love him!!

far from home...

source: nytimes.com

Quote:
November 5, 2006
Possessed
Project Lilliput

By DAVID COLMAN

ANYONE who has followed the history of habitation can easily see that architecture is as much a function of fashion as hemlines are. And anyone who has turned a beautifully made garment inside out can see that fashion is as much a product of architecture as the Parthenon.

Why, then, if you put fashion people and architects in a bottle and shake them up, do they soon separate as predictably as oil and vinegar? “They all hate fashion,” said Tim Gunn, the chairman of the fashion design department at Parsons the New School for Design (and the scene-stealing éminence grise of “Project Runway”), referring to his associates in the architecture department. “I had a colleague tell me that fashion is the lowest form of culture.”

Considering that Mr. Gunn’s own background is in design and architecture rather than fashion, his co-workers might not have thought the comment an insult. No such luck. Mr. Gunn considers them equals, in cultural value and even in form. “They’re both an infrastructure on which to put a skin or surface,” he said.

There are, of course, differences. One could argue, for instance, that, like divergent math functions, the best architecture is designed to last, while the best fashion is designed not to. Which is why, ardent fan of fashion though Mr. Gunn is, the cupboards of his Greenwich Village apartment are not filled with clothes but with some of the world’s famed buildings.

In miniature, that is, most of them constructed from kits by Mr. Gunn. His passion dates back to the age of 10. His grandmother gave him a Christmas present of a calendar, each month featuring a French chateau to cut out and assemble. By New Year’s Day he had them all standing. “I told her the buildings meant more than the months of the year,” he recalled. “She was a little dumbstruck.”

In later years his lucky younger sister had her own architect on hand to assemble Barbie’s many residences. “Barbie’s town house, the pool and cabana, the sweet shop: I built them all,” he said.

The infatuation pursued him into adult life — his first job out of art school was making models for an architecture firm — and has now settled in firmly as an after-hours escape. He not only still makes models but also collects pop-up books of buildings.

“These things are a source of great comfort to me, maybe even more so in New York. It’s so important to have a comfort zone here. These are like little miniature nests, safe havens, from the Temple of Diana to Neuschwanstein. I love this sort of ‘just add water’ idea, of something that’s two-dimensional expanding into 3-D.”

No wonder he feels at home in fashion. Today Mr. Gunn’s tastes have matured enough to include a house whose only directions were “just add bourbon.”

About 10 years ago he was shopping with his mother in an antiques store in Maryland when he spotted, and fell for, a large miniature English Georgianish house. At $1,700 it was either a new piece or a reproduction. Fashioned as a bar, it came complete with a table base. Though he and his mother argued over the wisdom of a property that was at once too grand and too modest, he was surprised a few months later to find that she had bought it for him as a gift.

Ever since, it has stood sentinel in his living room, like a stately and timeless welcome mat. It is a good antidote to the real world, where tensions and fashions rise and fall, come and go. But in this little house, whether you’re in or you’re out, it’s always happy hour.

Fred R. Conrad/The New York Times
Tim Gunn

Hiroko Masuike for The New york Times
Tim Gunn's little Georgian house of spirits.

08-12-2006
V.I.P.

I heard he's not coming back to the show...anyone has the article?

08-12-2006
tfs star

apparently he is an artist

08-12-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohnson
I heard he's not coming back to the show...anyone has the article?
Oh I hope not. He makes the show for me. He really helps place the show head and shoulders above all those other crappy relaity shows.

08-12-2006
girl who fell to earth

^^ same... he's definitely one of the best things about the show.. and all the contestants clearly love him and value what he has to say

13-01-2007
scenester

is he gay bi or wat??? :/

front row

Tim is the best.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
gunn, project, runway, tim