How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-09-2009
i'm almost ready..

Vanessa Reid - Stylist
on the always reliable advice of dear Mullet i am starting a thread for stylist Vanessa Reid, based only on a single editorial which i think is fabulous enough to warrant this discussion!

POP F/W 2009.2010
''This is Pop World, Free Your Mind, Put Your Head Back in the Clouds and Start the Ch-Ch-Ch-Change''

ph. Viviane Sassen
scanned by fearless123

06-09-2009
i'm almost ready..

looks like she was featured in paris vogue in oct 2007..

scans by Diorette

Viking queen kindly translated the article..

Quote:
A stylist who is half Spanish and half British, mixing good British taste and Andalusian heat, Vanessa works this LOOK and others with the same conviction: feeling good and freedom above all.

A Woman: She settled in Paris two years ago to work with Marie-Amelie Sauve, an editor who’s pointed tastes provide campaigns with the best names in fashion. With a degree in French, Spanish and cinema, from the University of Edinburgh, it was during a year sabbatical that Vanessa Reid began to assist a photographer – and caught the fashion bug. She divides her life between her 1st arrondissement apartment in Paris and her studio in Portobello, although her return tickets often show regular stopovers in New York and California.

A Style: “My style? It depends on (or corresponds to) the environment I am in. Sometimes I’d rather wear urban jungle clothes, sometimes I’d rather be undressed with flowers in my hair if I am in the outdoors”. In any case, Vanessa Reid would rather look at all dimensions of designers – Balenciaga, Martin Margiela, Anne Demeulemeester, Comme des Garcons – who have the best ready-to-wear. With one absolute rule: it has to feel good and be durable. “I like pieces that you can keep beyond the trend of the season. I don’t buy anything because it is the hit of the moment, but because I believe in the clothing.
Another principle: mix your pieces, a feminine top with a masculine pant. Current taboo? “Jeans. But, it’s a question of mood … I will surely return to them”.
Q.G (I think this refers to favourite stores) In Paris, the vintage store Brigitte on Crusoll Street, and in London, One of a Kind. “It’s an absolute paradise, run by Jeff, a guy who has more class than the whole of the United Kingdom.
Fetishes: Lingerie: “It’s the look under the look: I spend more time choosing my lower parts than on anything else”, explains Vanessa, more of a follower of the effects of silk and lace than of the basic neutrality of white cotton or the ease of string. Where to find: Carine Gilson in Paris, “the haute couture of underwear”, Jean Yu in New York, and in London, Underneath Margo at Coco du Mer – but also Agent Provocateur.
Accessories: An oversized Balenciaga bag, which carries her three iPods, a Blackberry, vintage Cutler and Gross sunglasses, and a Hermes makeup case. Also, Alaia and Jill Sander shoes, and jewellery – “as chunky as possible: it’s my Latin side”. She wears an amulet, an Andalusian medal of the Virgin given by her grandfather. “It supposedly saved his life by stopping a bull’s horn”, she explains as she lights a cigarette, sitting in front of green salad and a quart of San Pelligrino at Alfredo Positano. “But I love everything that suggests Naila de Montbrison, in Paris, or the mind-blowing zodiac rings from Solange Azagury Partridge in London.
Evening: “It’s more of a question of attitude, otherwise the concept is the same”. “Fluid materials, silk or other muslin, whatever has the honour, but the mood, it remains the same: lighthearted and amusing.
Beauty: All her products are certified organic - Jurlique Pure Rose Water spray and Dr. Hauschka’s daily Rose Cream, and Ren oils for hands and body. For makeup, only Cle du Peau mascara, because, after all, “the eyes really are worthy of it, because they are supposed to be the mirror to the heart”. Her beauty recipe? “A bottle from Vina Ardanza, the best Rioja (wine) today, and a sleepless night with my boyfriend”.

Escapes: In Seville countryside, the San Rafael Hacienda - “Sublime” - , hidden away in the middle of an olive-wood and covered with bougainvilliers (flowers). Once a year, at least, Africa: Botswana for its nature and safaris, Mozambique for “its unimaginable beaches”, and Swaziland for House on Fire, a sort of Medici Villa dedicated to theatre, dance and music and that gathers musicians from all over the world to play world music. “I’ve never heard anything like it elsewhere”.
Hobbies: Cooking in general, and Honeycomb ice with honey from the restaurant J. Sheekey especially. Raymond Carver novels (for their worldly chaos) and John Fante books (for his ability to put humour in extreme situations). But also movies (Almodovar, Lynch, Wong Kar-wai…) and the exhibitions of the Gagosian Gallery at the Tate Modern. Also Scottish whiskey, with one condition: it being really good.
Elegance?: Everyone has their own Paradise. Everyone has their way of wearing clothes. Foch Street is not the privilege of the chic. It’s what is in fashion but also your attitude: since you have to get dressed every day, you might as well make it fun.

06-09-2009
V.I.P.

Thanks for starting this, adorefaith. I loved the article.. I find it interesting that she has a degree in cinema because, while going through her Pop story, I got the impression that almost every look was some kind of installation, something with its own identity but still obviously connected (loved the hair & miu miu heels in matching colors, by the way ).. she seems to project her influences so well, including her love for gastronomy and nature, I think it's quite evident in the way she restructures every look. Cannot wait what's on the horizon for her and to see her past work.

i'm almost ready..

Vanessa styled two FW 09 campaigns...Missoni and Philosophy..

Missoni

models.com

shot by ryan mcginley

Philosophy

models.com

shot by alasdair mclellan

thanks to mullet () for the tips.!

06-09-2009
i'm almost ready..

Pop Fall/Winter 09.10
"the channels" | ph. mark borthwick | scanned by fearless123

06-09-2009
i'm almost ready..

cont'd...^

i agree with you mullet about the cinematic quality and i also love the way the most conceptual and potentially awkward pieces are given this really non chalant, easygoing place in the story.. they make sense and they are transformed into something approachable without having their weirdness or seriousness taken away, if that makes sense. i am really excited to see more of her work so i can start to piece things together and form a proper impression but i love the quirkiness and the fact that she takes away the intimidating factor of so many of these clothes..

06-09-2009
V.I.P.

^^ I absolutely adored that story.. didn't know she had styled it, I find it particularly awesome that she used Zucca. and the mood of it all, of course. I'm glad Dasha gave her an opportunity, she seems quite talented and definitely on the level of anyone that's currently on demand.

Last edited by MulletProof; 06-09-2009 at 02:39 AM. Reason: spelling
06-09-2009
V.I.P.

oooh I love her work!!! Her layering is impeccable...

V.I.P.

Just read that she styled the Missoni F/W 09.10.. of course she did!

I remember googling for days to hopefully find out who was the amazing brain behind all those layers.. it was my favorite show of the entire season, so beautiful. I hope she does the show this season as well..

[style.com]

I was so upset when I saw a video of Angela Missoni saying the collection was inspired by hip-hop, cause that layering and harmony spoke something more natural and even romantic for me.. knowing Vanessa was behind it and after reading the Vogue Paris feature, I feel relieved that the whole concept was clearly on wiser hands. :p

V.I.P.

Quote:
I find it interesting that she has a degree in cinema because, while going through her Pop story, I got the impression that almost every look was some kind of installation, something with its own identity but still obviously connected
totally ! love it !

Quote:
Angela Missoni saying the collection was inspired by hip-hop
where is that hip-hop influence coming from ?
she's saying crap !

06-09-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
Just read that she styled the Missoni F/W 09.10.. of course she did!

I remember googling for days to hopefully find out who was the amazing brain behind all those layers.. it was my favorite show of the entire season, so beautiful. I hope she does the show this season as well..

***Please do not quote images***

[style.com]

I was so upset when I saw a video of Angela Missoni saying the collection was inspired by hip-hop, cause that layering and harmony spoke something more natural and even romantic for me.. knowing Vanessa was behind it and after reading the Vogue Paris feature, I feel relieved that the whole concept was clearly on wiser hands. :p
its all very ashcan chic....its screams 'new' new york to me andd the whole bohemian bourgeousie ....i it!!
ALL HAIL VANESSA

Last edited by classicalbang; 06-09-2009 at 01:08 PM.
06-09-2009
shake off your flesh

She is already becoming a fast favorite. Missoni F/W 09's styling was brilliant, and I adore those two Pop editorials. Thanks for starting this thread, adorefaith!

06-09-2009
front row

I really love her work for Missoni !

06-09-2009
In other words

Pop Fall/Winter 2009.2010
Spent!
Models: Jessica Stam and
Lily Cole
Photographer: Paolo Roversi
Stylist: Vanessa Reid
Hair: Marc Lopez