How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-04-2005
fashion elite

Ye Rin Mok - Photographer
Ye Rin Mok is one of my favorite young photographers. She lives in L.A.

Her site: www.yerinmok.com

Last edited by cerfas; 21-04-2005 at 10:46 AM.

21-04-2005
fashion elite

21-04-2005
fashion elite

All photos from her website.

21-04-2005
fashion elite

Currently her photography can be seen in the latest issue of RE:UP, and her work has been in many other magazines, mostly portraits and band photographs. She did a wonderful fashion photo shoot for one, but I couldn't find any pictures from that.

21-04-2005
woolgathering

Love the first two you posted cerfas. She's quite good.

21-04-2005
backstage pass

They all look like digital photography. Not that impressed really, it all seems rather random and conceptually lacking.
It also looks like she is trying to hard to be fashionable and not paying as much attention to the fundamentals of photography.

Ok, nuff criticism.

Beauty is a form of genius - is higher, indeed, than genius, as it needs no explanation.

Last edited by evexa; 21-04-2005 at 11:27 AM.
21-04-2005
about to fall or fly

i love ye rin mok! i discovered her years ago on my friend's stock photography site, and i can't get enough of her. she's pretty big in the whole giant robot scene right now, too. she's amazing.

also, most of her work is done with a hassleblad (my favorite camera to use!). i will post an interview with her.

here she is! i think she's on the left, with the popsicle.

Last edited by .francesca; 21-04-2005 at 11:32 AM.
21-04-2005
about to fall or fly

Ye Rin Mok

Born in South Korea, schooled in Irvine, and residing in Los Angeles, Ye Rin Mok takes photos for Anthem, Mass Appeal, Hamburger Eyes and other indie publications. Her show at GR2 will open on May 29.

GR: What do your photos mean?
YM: Through my photos I would like to convey awkwardness, uneasiness, and imperfection--silent moments that people try to avoid.

GR: How do you go about posing people?
YM: Sometimes I'm inconsiderate because I think of a person I'm photographing as an object or a prop in a setting.

GR: How does your art differ from your commercial work?
YM: It's hard to categorize one from the other, and I don't intend to at the moment.

GR: What's your process for finding places to photograph? Do you walk around and shoot?
YM: I would like to, but it's hard to just walk around in L.A. Sometimes I drive by an area, see something that catches my eyes, park, and shoot.

GR: What equipment do you use?
YM: All the photos in the show were taken with a Hasselblad 501CM with an 80mm lens.

GR: What do you think about digital photography?
YM: I don't think one needs to pick either digital or film. They're just tools people should choose to suit their needs.

GR: What do you look for in "successful" photographs?
YM: They tend to have more questions than answers. There's certain feeling I get.

GR: Are your photos efforts to capture what you picture in your mind?
YM: I write down ideas in a notebook, but I like shooting without fully knowing the outcome. I like the element of surprise in an environment that I control.

GR: Do you feel photography has been left behind in the recent upswing of art and design?
YM: Not so much. And I enjoy viewing other mediums of work.

GR: Does being Asian affect your aesthetics or process in any way?
YM: Aesthetically, I think so. In a subtle way.

GR: What do you think about the technical aspects of photography? Do people make too big of a deal about them?
YM: I do, too. I didn't learn much about artificial lighting and such in school, and sometimes I feel inadequate as a photographer because I don't know how to light a vase perfectly. But then that's not the kind of photo I like to take.

GR: Whose works inspire you and why?
YM: I like the works of Mark Borthwick. They seem effortless and free, and he makes trash on a street look good. I also like Guy Bourdin's dark sense of humor, awkwardness, and use of bold colors.

GR: What are your plans and goals for your work?
YM: I would like to keep making photographs I'm proud of, and hopefully others will acknowledge them.

GR: Got any tips for hack photographers?
YM: Someone told me one thing is important in photography: to tell what you have inside you. All the rest is technical, and anyone can learn technique.

21-04-2005
front row

I love the truncated bodies and diverted gazes... It's especially powerful in a series of so similar shots.

Love that she's a UCI grad, and now living and working in LA... LA is really blowing up these days, art-wise. Thanks for the thread cerfas, and for the additional info, .francesca! I wish her responses hadn't been so edited down.. I'd love to hear her ramble a bit. ^^

21-04-2005
fashion elite

Yees, that's her on the left. Thanks for the interview, francesca!

21-04-2005
fashion elite

More from her website.

21-04-2005
fashion elite

While her work still has a lot of room for development, I think she has a very sharp eye and sensibility and that she will be doing really incredible things in the future. She used to have a blog of sorts and I wish I had saved some of the things she had posted there, because they were gorgeous.

21-04-2005
daisy in my lazy eye

The colors! That's what stood out at once. In particular in the pic with the tree-stumps and the turquoise tank of the girl, it gives an intensifying contrast that I love. Her style is very clear and modern, a bit how I would like to take photographs. Yep I like this. She's still young, so lots of time and room for innovation and improvement.

21-04-2005
a dim capacity for wings

i like her work, thanks cerfas!
i agree that she has a sharp eye and a good sense for lighting...i like the quote about akwardness...i think she acchieves that without being disrespectful to her objects.

21-04-2005
fashion elite

Yes, it is very human indeed

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
mok, photographer, rin, ye