Alexandra Shulman Leaves British Vogue as EIC, *Update* Edward Enninful Confirmed - Page 11 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-05-2017
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsaddict View Post
i feel a little bad for Lucinda, she came across as so passionate in that Vogue documentary last year. i know the magazine is stale and needs a fresh team, but at the end of the day a very talented lady just lost her job..
Oh, absolutely. But she is going to get a lot of great styling gigs that pay tremendously well and perhaps even branch out into collaborations like Grace Coddington. I'm sure she is in for an enjoyable second chapter!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsaddict View Post
i feel a little bad for Lucinda, she came across as so passionate in that Vogue documentary last year. i know the magazine is stale and needs a fresh team, but at the end of the day a very talented lady just lost her job..
She had it coming, I'm afraid! Not to worry though, they haven't sent her into retirement. As with any of the other savvy fashion editors at the top 4, all these editors have regular side gigs which can still serve as a creative outlet. The British Vogue girls are just clever enough to keep these deals in moderation (unlike Veronique Didry, for instance, who may be formally employed by VP, but does more styling outside of the magazine). So in theory, the opportunities are still there.

At the end of the day we must be realistic about this situation. For years the fashion editors of this magazine had the freedom to go about as they saw fit, you would think with that they'd deliver interesting work issue after issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dalloway View Post
Ugh! I want Phelan gone as well, her work does nothing for me! But yeah, i won't be shocked if we end up with Moss, and start missing the days of Chambers!
Aww, I have a bit of a soft spot for Phelan, her style can be very British Harper's (which you also loathe, ).

17-05-2017
front row

I'm sad for Lucinda because she produced many great shoots and she's been such a big part of this magazine for so long, but it is definitely time for some new blood at Vogue and I'm glad that Edward's editorship will allow that to happen.

Lucinda always came across as really kind and passionate in all the interviews I've seen of her, she clearly loves fashion and Vogue and I'm sure she'll have a great future outside of the magazine. I'm a little sad to see her go because I did really like her but British Vogue needs a complete reinvention and I'm really excited to see how a new team will shape that in the next few months.

21-05-2017
V.I.P.

Which issue will be Ed's first?

25-05-2017
V.I.P.

If he's going 'youth', then Phelan will be out as well. Wonder if he'll keep Jaime Perlman!!

Quote:
Londoner's Diary: Edward Enninful means major wardrobe change at Vogue

Friday 19 May 2017 10:01 BST

Out with the old, in with the new at Vogue. That’s the way fashion works, after all.

Following the announcement of the departures this summer of managing editor Frances Bentley, fashion director Lucinda Chambers and, of course, Alexandra Shulman, there is talk in fashion circles of a massive overhaul of the magazine and its image when Edward Enninful arrives as its new editor. An insider also wonders which other staff members will stay under the new regime.

Enninful, who had been fashion and style director at W magazine in New York, has been assigned a sizeable budget allotted specifically for staff replacements —“just soft talk for redundancies” is the interpretation, says the insider — and will establish a new, younger and more diverse regime at the magazine. Enninful has also been given a sizeable fee in addition to his promised salary. Thought to be a hefty figure — fashionistas believe it is approaching £1 million — this is solely to cover the inconvenience of relocating to the UK from his New York base. Condé Nast declined to comment on future arrangements.

The more precious among the fashion community are concerned at what is expected to be a drastic change for the magazine but it will surely pay off. Anna Wintour started her long tenure at Vogue US by raising eyebrows with her first cover: a model in a jewelled couture jacket and high-street blue jeans — then unheard of for the luxury fashion bible. Expect more forward thinking on a much grander scale from Edward.
Source: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...-a3543401.html

25-05-2017
MON
V.I.P.

Kinda scared with that "younger magazine" they'd try to establish. We all know how "youth" and "for the young" issues go... they always end up being tragic and pathetic.

Do they need to target a younger demographic? Absolutely NOT. What Edward needs to do is to make Alexandra's tired formula work. Catering to the youth is definitely not the answer since they basically don't buy the magazine. I cannot stand the Teen Vogue like covers if that's what he meant.

That's why I kinda like the way Alexandra handled the social media girls, by using them for their name but the cover still has the British Vogue identity she established (no matter how tired that identity was).

25-05-2017
front row

I think the question was more about the staff which was quite old ( Alexandra, Lucinda ) and then tired and redundant more than changing the magazine's vision into something younger.

Edward is not really someone particularly focus on "youth" imo so i don't see his tenure at British Vogue being about this.

25-05-2017
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MON View Post
Kinda scared with that "younger magazine" they'd try to establish. We all know how "youth" and "for the young" issues go... they always end up being tragic and pathetic.

Do they need to target a younger demographic? Absolutely NOT. What Edward needs to do is to make Alexandra's tired formula work. Catering to the youth is definitely not the answer since they basically don't buy the magazine. I cannot stand the Teen Vogue like covers if that's what he meant.

That's why I kinda like the way Alexandra handled the social media girls, by using them for their name but the cover still has the British Vogue identity she established (no matter how tired that identity was).
That is exactly what they did when Carine was appointed as the EIC of VP. Younger just mean a generation that represent the world we are living.
We can say whatever we want but the VP team was 20+ to 50+ women who were and who understood the world in the 21st century.

Edward's job is to represent the new way of "being british". It has more to do with "What is Vogue UK" today instead of "are Bella & Kendall going to be on the cover".

Alexandra already played that game so this is a non-concern today.

Emmanuelle tried with Kendall on the cover of her magazine but i don't think it worked because the Vogue Paris readers don't care about the Kardashian.

26-05-2017
backstage pass

Edward certainly has a challenge on his hands, although stale, Alexandra's Vogue was commercially successful during the industry's most turbulent time ever. In contrast to magazines that are at circulation and advertising rock bottom and then get brought back to life with a new guard, British Vogue has always chugged along very nicely. Yes, in many ways Alexandra was indifferent towards the fashion industry, but in a sales sense she's a tough act to follow.

26-05-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GivenchyAddict View Post
I think the question was more about the staff which was quite old ( Alexandra, Lucinda ) and then tired and redundant more than changing the magazine's vision into something younger.
Well, if that's the case then we have all the more reason to be concerned! Edward himself comes from a magazine plunged into irrelevancy on his clock. W's circulation now clocks in slightly under 9K ( and that's for a June/July issue! ). Even if Tonchi was a weak leader, which he is imo, Edward in his capacity as creative director did absolutely nothing to innovate that magazine.

This idea that stylists can beat on their own drum regardless of their audience, or even courting a new audience, is frankly put, outdated. That's exactly the same situation Lucinda Chambers happened to find herself in - the inability to innovate. It would appear that Chambers, like Enninful (for the most part) went about his work without moderation from their superiors. But imo they're as complicit as their bosses.

I will agree that for this job he will need an immensely directional team of editors who are attuned with the British cultural sphere. Lets hope he's able to secure that. Anyone can dream up a pie in the sky, but executing it is a different story.

I think a Carine x VP-style overhaul could work if done properly. Yes, her magazine was overtly 'Parisienne' (which I found a bit nauseating towards the end) but not exclusively. The content still reflected the global cultural scene as well, maybe not like VI.

Above all else, let Phelan stay put! Somehow she seems to have her finger on the pulse with Topshop, so she'd make perfect sense for this 'new, younger and more diverse regime' of his.

26-05-2017
rising star

9K for W???? That's impossible. That means they lost 400000 subscribers at least.
9000 sold copy is not a magazine for Conde Nast. They would kill any magazine without hesitation under 100000 subscribers.

26-05-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWP View Post
9K for W???? That's impossible. That means they lost 400000 subscribers at least.
9000 sold copy is not a magazine for Conde Nast. They would kill any magazine without hesitation under 100000 subscribers.
See below, these are of course newsstand figures. Regardless, it's still appallingly low.

Quote:
Recent sales: Cara Delevingne fronted W’s June/July cover, which sold 9,121 copies. For the second half of last year, W sold 8,848 copies.
Source: http://wwd.com/business-news/media/r...tyle-10510899/

26-05-2017
rising star

Thanks Benn for the link. That's crazy. Conde Nast killed Details magazine (favourite monthly of mine) when it was on 500000 copies a month, with booming online reach.
Why is this magazine still exists then? It's costs more to pay the staff and commissions.

26-05-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWP View Post
Thanks Benn for the link. That's crazy. Conde Nast killed Details magazine (favourite monthly of mine) when it was on 500000 copies a month, with booming online reach.
Why is this magazine still exists then? It's costs more to pay the staff and commissions.
My pleasure! They also killed Style, Self, Lucky, and there was rumours TeenVogue would be next, but it looks like they've dodged that bullet by going quarterly.

I don't think they'll ever shut W down, but they can at the very least put someone else in charge to revamp the magazine.

14-06-2017
tfs star

Venetia Scott Named Fashion Director of British Vogue -- http://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-...ogue-10913778/

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alexandra, british, confirmed, editorinchief, edward, eic, enninful, leaves, shulman, step, update, vogue