Alexandra Shulman Leaves British Vogue as EIC, *Update* Edward Enninful Confirmed - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-01-2017
MON
V.I.P.

Basically we're starting 2017 with 2 of the big 4 starting with a new leadership.

25-01-2017
V.I.P.

Indeed we are however Alexandra isn't leaving until the summer. With that in mind I would say we're going to see her influence probably until the September, perhaps even October issue. Depending on when in the summer she leaves.

25-01-2017
fashion elite

^ The BoF article says she is leaving in June.

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtdaily View Post
Our prayers have been answered!
Thank God and all the stars!!!!

She used to be good, but she moved on from the fashion world a long time ago. Let's hope we get someone that really enjoys it.

But if Katie Grand gets it, i will never buy it again.

Last edited by Les_Sucettes; 25-01-2017 at 08:06 AM.
25-01-2017
backstage pass

i'm detecting a general feeling of good riddance to the news. Personally, i'm not so pleased, at the end of the day, what Alexandra produces is a profitable magazine with a stable circulation. Even if there are infinitely more impassioned and creative choices for EIC, if they can't match her astute and prudent qualities, the magazine could slip into a free fall. i guess my point is, it's better to have a dull british vogue that makes money than a beautiful magazine that inevitably folds.

i could see British Vogue under a katie grand type having this fate. Between her own hubris and insistence on reusing a small group of celeb models, Grand could easily sink the magazine. I have a soft spot for Alexandra and the sense of tradition and consistency she's instilled - an annual Kate Moss cover, consistent art direction and a refusal to kowtow to the Kardashians.

25-01-2017
front row

Wow, what a run she's had! I'm not too surprised that she's leaving - she has been there for a long time. Alexandra has done some amazing things with the magazine and she had a consistent vision that was commercially successful whilst still (occasionally) taking some risks. Although I have been critical of the magazine over the last couple of years, I still cherish it and I actually really like Alexandra.

It feels like the right time for change. I'm glad she's leaving on a high and with a very solid body of work at Vogue behind her. I am also obviously intrigued about who will replace her. I highly doubt it would be Katie Grand; the documentary made very clear that the bosses are very proud of the magazine's commercial success and I doubt that is something they would think is likely to continue with Katie at the helm. I'm hoping for someone involved in Porter - Lucy Yeomans would be terrific.

Whoever replaces Alexandra, I hope they go some way in shaking the magazine up a bit. I am slightly worried that they'll want someone who can keep steering the magazine along the same path but I think it's a great opportunity to give British Vogue a refresh. Obviously nothing drastic, but there is certainly room for improvement. The magazine has so much potential, it could absolutely be held in the same regard as Carine's French Vogue once was if they played it right. The UK has so much to offer and I hope some spirit is injected back into the magazine.

Having said all that, I will be sad to see Alexandra go and I wish her all the best!

Last edited by LastNight; 25-01-2017 at 09:10 AM.
25-01-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsaddict View Post
i'm detecting a general feeling of good riddance to the news. Personally, i'm not so pleased, at the end of the day, what Alexandra produces is a profitable magazine with a stable circulation. Even if there are infinitely more impassioned and creative choices for EIC, if they can't match her astute and prudent qualities, the magazine could slip into a free fall. i guess my point is, it's better to have a dull british vogue that makes money than a beautiful magazine that inevitably folds.

i could see British Vogue under a katie grand type having this fate. Between her own hubris and insistence on reusing a small group of celeb models, Grand could easily sink the magazine. I have a soft spot for Alexandra and the sense of tradition and consistency she's instilled - an annual Kate Moss cover, consistent art direction and a refusal to kowtow to the Kardashians.
British Vogue will not fold. It isn't better to have a dull magazine with absolutely no purpose or opinion, than no Vogue. As far as I'm concerned. She used to be a good editor, there are so many previous covers and editorials that absolutely prove this point however in recent years she has created a magazine that stands for nothing other than absolute mediocrity.

25-01-2017
fashion elite

Good new, it was about time.
She did marvelous things for Vogue Uk but let's be honest, the magazine is not what it used to be in terms of influence. The documentary showed a team a bit disconnected from the reality...I can understand that after 25 years, she wants to live her life and experience new things or things that are more interesting for her.

Katie Grand will not be EIC of Vogue Uk. I've very big doubts about it...Being an EIC means no more styling gigs: No more Miu Miu, No more Marc Jacobs, No more consulting. And the experience with Carine showed that once you have taste to the freedom of being paid to work for the brands, it's very difficult to do without it. I doubt that Katie is as brave as Emmanuelle to just be concentrated in her magazine.

25-01-2017
V.I.P.

This also must mean that several other editors might leave. Will the new EIC wan't to keep someone like Chambers? I doubt it!

Another person who could take over is Natalie Massenet, she is doing great things at BFC, but i could see her quit that in a hearbeat for UK Vogue!

25-01-2017
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsaddict View Post
I have a soft spot for Alexandra and the sense of tradition and consistency she's instilled - an annual Kate Moss cover, consistent art direction and a refusal to kowtow to the Kardashians.
She may not have bowed to the Kardashians but on the other the hand there is something Tatlerish about it that has become more pronouced over the years. In certain issues all the features were about what wonderful thing the progeny of Britain oldest and wealthiest families where up to.

25-01-2017
V.I.P.

Lola, fashion magazine editing in it's current state is really not that far removed from consulting. Magazines kowtow to those who keep their bread buttered (advertisers), that's why you'll never see Sacai on Vogue covers. So Grand won't think twice before going with Vogue instead of working on MJ campaigns. It ultimately boils down to the same thing - whether she styles a campaign, or style a fashion editorial. Indeed the latter will just offer her with more of a creative safeguard to push for certain brands.

On the one hand I feel Katie is improbable because she's a stylist. Journalism is almost the cornerstone of British fashion magazines, a majority of editors in charge of our glossies are journalists first. Then on the other hand I feel CN may want to shake it up and put her in charge, because she's all about youth and 'the future'.

25-01-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dalloway View Post
This also must mean that several other editors might leave. Will the new EIC wan't to keep someone like Chambers? I doubt it!

Another person who could take over is Natalie Massenet, she is doing great things at BFC, but i could see her quit that in a hearbeat for UK Vogue!
Ditto about Lucinda! She's been enjoying A LOT of freedom under Alexandra, I doubt whether she'll be happy with working under someone new who will most likely moderate her work (which is needed, imo). Jaime should stay though! With the right person in charge she could do wonders for this magazine.

Natalie sounds a great choice on paper, but I doubt whether they would install an American to head British Vogue. That won't wash well at all. Can you imagine the backlash?

25-01-2017
tfs star

Ain't it good when prayers are answered?

giphy

Now PLEASE don't let it be Katie.

V.I.P.

According to some sources the bookie's favourite is currently Jo Elvin. I would be very surprised if she got it personally.

25-01-2017
V.I.P.

Jo Elvin from Glamour??? You've got to be joking! No offense, but I cannot imagine how she'd turn Vogue around. Also, she's rather young for the position......

I suppose with Amy Ashtley going from TeenVogue to Architectural Digest, and Farneti from Italian GQ to Italian Vogue, it's not entirely preposterous......

Last edited by Benn98; 25-01-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alexandra, british, confirmed, editorinchief, edward, eic, enninful, leaves, shulman, step, update, vogue