How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-04-2005
Naturellement pulpeuse

Quote:

I actually love that. I think fashion on its own is terribly boring. It's all the things that go along with it--politics, music, film, art, architecture--that make things interesting
I get a bit sick of the undergraduate-art-student-style music, film and art in i-D and The Face. There are never really any full articles, just little fashionable snippets. Political views seem to remain fashionably vague.

07-04-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal-on-metal
I actually love that. I think fashion on its own is terribly boring. It's all the things that go along with it--politics, music, film, art, architecture--that make things interesting. I think the real problem here is our desperate tendency as a culture to elevate just about anyone to an almost godlike level if they happen to push the right buttons. Like Pete Doherty here. Who is he? What does he do that merits attention and praise? It's so tedious.
I his music.It's indie but it's really great IMO.
And i've loved it since he started out with the Libertines actually.
He was cute and clean(er?) at that time.
Now the music is the only interesting thing about him really.

I don't think he has anything to do with the fashion world and wish he'd stop that circus.I don't like seeing him doing all that .
And the Kate/Pete thing Meine Gott.

07-04-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal-on-metal
I actually love that. I think fashion on its own is terribly boring. It's all the things that go along with it--politics, music, film, art, architecture--that make things interesting. I think the real problem here is our desperate tendency as a culture to elevate just about anyone to an almost godlike level if they happen to push the right buttons. Like Pete Doherty here. Who is he? What does he do that merits attention and praise? It's so tedious.
He's a pretty romantic, unfiltered kind of star for these days of extreme PR and general fakery. A beautiful boy (Doherty) and his lovely best friend (Carl Barat) formed a band (The Libertines) based on lofty ideals of Olde England...then the excesses of fame, drugs, sex etc., suck them in and lead to their demise, all predicted by the their music and followed religiously by their fans. You'd have to understand the depth of the Libertines Lore to fully get it, I guess. It's all fairly intoxicating, or at least it was for a while.

A whole lot more interesting/exciting than most pop icons these days. I'm not saying he's 'important' but then again, neither is, say, Kate Moss (pretty girl takes pretty pictures does lots of drugs etc)

front row

Just bought Arena Homme + yesterday. Talk about major disappointment. I've been forgiving of their past few outings, but this one really sucked big time. I'm all for putting regular guys in a fashion rag, but their designer portfolio looked, photographed, felt, and read like it was freakishly hurried. Plus there was nothing interesting to read–John Galliano's half-page interview was probably the only one I've been through, even then it became boring because they both were answering in clichés.

Leading, not following fashion...pfft. Yeah right.

Last edited by steeltoe; 11-04-2005 at 11:04 PM.
25-04-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny
I'm not even going to comment on Kate and/or Pete. Save to say that putting him on the cover further re-inforces the argument that AH+ is down the tubes.

The content is very poor. There is really nothing to it. There is a huge Bruce Weber "story" which seems to me to have absolutely nothing to do with fashion at all, never mind relevant modern fashion; it's just pictures of Ralph Lauren Model-looking boys dressed as cowboys. The section that deals with "things to watch out for" is, in the internet age, entirely redundant - almost everythign will already be known to anyone that would be interested in it anyway. The "collections" photos include Tommy Hilfiger. What?! It's a bit less of a gay boy lal la land (as Faust put it, or similarly, so amusingly), but none-the-less, broadly useless. Even Whimsicalist might not like it!

My advice - don't spend you £5/$10 and flick through it for five mins.

Actually Faust there is a section dealing with moscow and russian gymnasts which might interest you (although I think that part of the mag was really just an excuse for pictures of very young male gymnasts, so it probably wont).
Hmm and I already ordered it to the nearest magazine shop. I guess I won'd buy it then. Which men's fashion magazine you guys recommend then? I can't browse them because the shops here don't carry that much of fashion mags so I have to order (it's a free service though).

25-04-2005
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid
i'd love to see him in a real dior homme heroin chic editorial
YES! He is the perfect person for an editorial like that...he's the genuine article, a rock star who actually is strung out on heroin and would look cool as hell in this season's super skinny pants and tight jackets.

i saw another photo shoot with Pete, I think it was in this month's UK Esquire that featured him wearing some Savile Row stuff, including a black mohair number which I thought looked quite cool. I haven't seen the Arena+ yet but judging from the covers they don't seem to look that good.

25-04-2005
rising star

okay this guy is the epitome of overhyped. I personally find the libertines (while he was still in the band, mind you) to be boring, subpar to all the praise theyve received from NME and other music outlets. Why are we glamorizing a drugged out rockstar? The media did it to Hendrix, Morrison, Cobain and others and looked how swell that turned out! But to each his own and if he makes you happy, Kate, more power to you!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2005, arena, doherty, homme, pete, spring