How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-11-2010
backstage pass

I got this issue today and about it's 285-290 pages, almost the same size as the last issue (which was about 300 pages). The typography and layout are a huge improvement over the last issue. I haven't read the issue yet but I've run through it a few times and it looks great, much stronger than the last which was very underwhelming. Here's the editorial content, many which have already been elaborated upon in this thread and others which have not:

Beauty and the Beast
Photography Nick Knight
Styling Nicola Formichetti

Sons of the Silent Age
Dolce & Gabbana's 20th anniversary collections.
Photography by Alasdair McLellan

Styling Olivier Rizzo
Interview Tim Blanks

Hey! What's Up?
The search for a new kind of hero from the shores of Montauk to the top of Mont Blanc.
Photography & Words by Bruce Weber
Design Bruce Weber & Mike Murphy

GG
The glamorous teturn of Frida Giannini's Gucci.
Photography by Willy Vanderperre
Styling Olivier Rizzo
Interview Jo-Ann Furniss

Joe the Lion
Boxing icon, trainee rabbi, occasional sparring partner of Agyness Deyn, Yuri Foreman is a modern yet traditional sporting hero.
Photography Alasdair McLellan
Interview Mark Simpson

The Angels Have Gone
Photography Willy Vanderperre
Styling Olivier Rizzo

The Prettiest Star
Tom Hardy, the most beautiful yet gifted actor of his generation.
Styling Kim Jones
Interview Jo-Ann Furniss

If Katrina Was a Drag Queen...
The remarkable rise of New Orleans' sissy bounce artists, stars of the city and the bounce music scene who are changing the course of hip hop.
Photography Danielle Levitt
Styling Matthiew Williams
Interviews & Essays Jo-Ann Furniss, Alison Fensterstock, Rusty Lazer

Last edited by crosidan; 08-11-2010 at 04:31 PM.

09-11-2010
front row

the aiden shaw profile is amazing!!!!

09-11-2010
Mr. Magic

Quote:
The Prettiest Star
Tom Hardy, the most beautiful yet gifted actor of his generation.
Styling Kim Jones
Interview Jo-Ann Furniss

Oh me..oh my...

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

09-11-2010
backstage pass

Thanks Flashbang and crosidan for sharing. I must be the only one that's completely underwhelmed by what I've seen so far. It all looks so promising on paper: Nick Knight, Olivier Rizzo, Willy... but the efforts look sloppy and uninspiring. The last issue that excited me was the tribute issue to Ray Petrie, which actually looked like they put in some effort.

Are men's magazines just not worth it anymore now? The early 2000 AHP with Fabien Baron at the helm were truly beautiful efforts; editorials, graphic design, concepts were all carefully thought out and still look great today.

I guess the only people that will pick up AHP are those of us who have been doing so since the beginning. I can't really imagine they are winning new fans nowadays with what they put out.

09-11-2010
fashion icon

without the gloss, make up and all the female stuffs, it would be perfect. why do men's fashion always refer to women ???

09-11-2010
front row

ohhhhh Clement...why must you be so awesome?

09-11-2010
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post
Thanks Flashbang and crosidan for sharing. I must be the only one that's completely underwhelmed by what I've seen so far. It all looks so promising on paper: Nick Knight, Olivier Rizzo, Willy... but the efforts look sloppy and uninspiring. The last issue that excited me was the tribute issue to Ray Petrie, which actually looked like they put in some effort.

Are men's magazines just not worth it anymore now? The early 2000 AHP with Fabien Baron at the helm were truly beautiful efforts; editorials, graphic design, concepts were all carefully thought out and still look great today.

I guess the only people that will pick up AHP are those of us who have been doing so since the beginning. I can't really imagine they are winning new fans nowadays with what they put out.
I think its a great magazine and I've been knowing about it for like a year now! But I do agree with you, the old issues do look better.

10-11-2010
Mr. Magic

TOP OF THE POP MOPS
photographer: Alasdair McLellan
hair: Luke Hersheson
MODEL(S):
Breton (Select); Jordan Taylor; Sam Lawson; Sid Ellisdon
Source: steelmachines

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

10-11-2010
backstage pass

Am I weird or does the content of this issue seem to have no unifying creative direction? Like you wouldn't be able to tell that these pieces all go to the same issue. Okay maybe the Clement editorial and the Cover and then the mop boys editorial and the dolce but they seem like entirely different magazines to me...

By the way I abhor the cover, and have since I saw it. I feel like it's entirely overboard and in bad taste. Nicola is getting a little Gaga happy in my opinion and is slamming a hand of excess on everything he touches... I just don't like it.

10-11-2010
backstage pass

^^^You're not weird, you just have an eye for editing-- which the people at AHP seem to not care about.

And yes I agree: Nicola and his heavy-handed brand of style must go, his work with my hero Knight seem to be channeling my much-despised David LaChapelle for their editorial.

Despite it all, I will be picking this issue up-- not only because I've always picked up AHP, but also just to compare it to the last issue (with The XX on the cover), which was beyond bland in every way: styling, editorial, graphic design, with the Teller editorial being the worst offender. This current issue can't possibly be worse than the previous one, can it?

10-11-2010
V.I.P.

The Dolce & Gabbana editorial is the best thing in this issue...it's simple and cinematic. Not so mad about the rest of it, although Clement's story was good.

10-11-2010
fashion insider

sam lawson was just announced as model of the week not too long ago. that image of him (with the shorter hair cut) was featured. good for him.

11-11-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiercification View Post
The Dolce & Gabbana editorial is the best thing in this issue...it's simple and cinematic. Not so mad about the rest of it, although Clement's story was good.
Well Lowell Tautchin is in the Dolce story so I was like excited for that before it came out but it was sooo Dolce and I really love and have loved Dolce forever so there was little way to go wrong in my eyes.

oh and yeah I like Sam Lawson too. I feel like he's about to hit a steady line of work for some reason... I'm glad for him.

Oh and thanks to Phuel

11-11-2010
V.I.P.

thanks so much

16-11-2010
Mr. Magic

'SONS OF THE SILENT AGE'
Ph: Alasdair McLellan
Styling: Olivier Rizzo
Models: Vincent Lacrocq, Roch Barbot, Lowell Tautchin and Joshua
Source: morphoman

(IT'S GOING DOWN