Arena Homme + Winter / Spring 2015 by David Sims & Linder - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-10-2014
rising star

Arena Homme + Winter / Spring 2015 by David Sims & Linder
Arena Homme + Winter / Spring 2015 by David Sims & Linder

Source: thehommeplus.com

22-10-2014
V.I.P.

I dont like any...

V.I.P.

Ugly, ugly, ugly

rising star

There are those 50p teen magazines on the newsstands for 10-14 years old girls. Well I guess they "creative directed" the color scheme and the fonts from those magazines...
I hate that David Sims always has a 40+ page editorial, which is a waste of paper, based on the cover it will be the same in this issue..
Every 6 months when it comes out I remember that this magazine was the first proper mens biannual in the UK, and back than it had edge, now its just a playground for Sims and the worst editor inn the world of fashion: Pearmain.

22-10-2014
fashion insider

^^^ That about sums up AH+ these last few years...

Before-- especially when Ashley Heath and Fabien Baron were the editors, it was the publication for leading styling, photography, creative and art direction and graphic design. When Fabien was at the helm, the graphic design and editorials were heavenly-- simply supreme, effortlessly cool, and divinely inspirational, and most importantly, so thoughtfully stylish.

Now? It's just high-profile names wanking off quickly, thrown together with some common types and sloppy layout-- for irony nonetheless: like carrying your BIrkin while eating at McDonald's.

This current AH+ is what happens when people are too comfortable and secure in their status as a brand, and become lazy and apathetic and don't even bother to make an effort.

22-10-2014
don't look down

When Fabien Baron was about, I actually looked forward to this magazine more than most of the women's titles.

V.I.P.

Boring, the 3rd cover saves the issue.

22-10-2014
V.I.P.

Who is that Felix?

23-10-2014
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
When Fabien Baron was about, I actually looked forward to this magazine more than most of the women's titles.
That's because Fabien knows how to produce content that both men and women may relate to, all the while maintaining a strong, but effortless equilibrium of masculine and feminine tone for both men and women in the imageries. And he continues to strengthen that timeless characteristic for Interview US.

Besides the abyssal drop in the quality of graphic design and creative/art direction, this move towards a normcore, an anti-fashion style of musicians/ producers as their main subjects seems misdirected for a publication with such a rich history for showcasing leading fashions. A bland, common, pedestrian design aesthetic for what was once the leader of fashion publication that transcended men's and women's high fashion is just a waste of a platform to witness.

Do they get 13-year-olds to work on the layouts and art direction now? I wonder how well AH+ does that the handlers continue to allow it to continue on this dismal course...?

I'll always have a fondness for Morrissey w/ The Smiths-- and the 3rd cover seems to be a tribute to vintage Morrissey with the carnations and pose... but Ariel Pink on the cover... just tragic.

23-10-2014
front row

I have to disagree with my fellow countryman above, I think Arena Homme+ is one of the best fashion magazines in the world, if not the best...

Ariel Pink is pathetic? who do you want to see on the cover? Kanye & Kim? Shot by Fabien Baron? Interview is 75% bland ****.

I think I'll buy the Morrissey cover above. Love the type and that "November Spawned a Monster" line made me smile for 10 whole minutes. A monster issue full of David Sims, Pearmain & co.? When's the issue out !!

23-10-2014
rising star

Something which is artsy and different its not always good. In the anniversery issue Ashley Heat criticized those biannuals which made with a mac + using Helvetica... Like Arena is soo new. I'm nearly 100% sure that non of the editorial team has any educations or experience whatsoever on typography, graphic design... And what did Pearmain do before Arena? Is he did something outstanding, to be an editor of Arena Homme?

Btw: the following happened before Pearmains first Arena Homme.
Bauer media was about to end the magazine. Ashley Heat, who is originally established the mag bought the magazine back. But the whole editorial team like Jo-Ann Furniss, Luke Day etc just quit, so the S/S 2011 issue was put together in a rush buy some total newbies and David Sims...
I guess Sims just use the magazine to satisfy his ego, because those editorials are just a bunch of meaningless ****.

13-11-2014
Mr. Magic

'MEMPHIS/MARRONE'
Ph: Oliver Hadlee-Pearch
Styling: Max Clark

clmuk.com

13-11-2014
Mr. Magic

clmuk.com

13-11-2014
windowshopping

^ beautiful ed