How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-11-2012
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

arisemagazine fb page

Photography
Seiji Fujimori Styling Ty-ron Mayes/Sabrina Henry Model Tyra Banks
We did it again. ARISE killed it at New York Fashion Week with our fifth collective show, African Icons. Get the full lowdown this issue with our pick of the key looks from each of the five African designers, which The Guardian called "stunning" and "show stopping". We agree.

While we were in New York we met, shot and were totally charmed by the one and only Tyra Banks. The queen bee of America's Next Top Model worked her stuff in front of the lens, before sitting down with us for a chat about her awkward teenage years, making it as a black model ("I was constantly being told ĎNo no no, you canít have this job, you canít have that cover, youíre not going to make as much money as the white girl next to you") and her confidence-building after-school programme.

She's not the only inspirational woman on the ARISE guestlist this issue. Far from it. In the first-ever ARISE 100 list, we introduce 100 amazing women who are changing the face of Africa in business, sport, fashion, politics and activism. From model/campaigner Waris Dirie to courageous journalist Serkalem Fasil, and South African actress Charlize Theron to Fatou Bensouda, chief prosecutor of the ICC, each and every one is doing their bit to change perceptions in and of Africa through their tireless and inspiring work. We applaud them.

Another strong African woman taking centre stage this issue is Dambisa Moyo. The Zambian economist breathes life, intelligence and humour into critical financial debates, sharing her thoughts on China, capitalism and "the worldís most successful 50-year PR campaign against Africa".

In the fashion section, three dazzling shoots feature power pantsuits in the wilds of Botswana, go-faster metallics with Tanzanian model Herieth Paul, and war paint in our character-building menswear shoot.

In our music and culture sections, acclaimed filmmaker Spike Lee shares the story behind Bad25 Ė his new documentary celebrating a quarter century since Michael Jackson released his seminal album. We also have former Talking Headsfrontman David Byrne on Afro-Western cultural mashups; Senegalese music mogul Bu Thiam on working with Gaga, Rihanna and his brother, Akon; and Precious star Gabourey Sidibe on her idea of beauty.

We also go aboard the world's most unusual tour bus (or rather train), Africa Express, with Damon Albarn, Baaba Maal and friends; meet the African basketball players conquering the NBA; and find out how black south Africans are getting a taste for the grape thanks to the pioneering founder of Soweto Wine Festival.

Plus we share an extract from White Teeth author Zadie Smith's new book, NW; explore the controversial issue of land acquisitions in Africa; get a guided tour around Botswana's capital, Gaborone, with local hip hop star Zeus; and look back at the early years of Freddie Mercury, who in a little known fact was born and raised in Zanzibar. As Lorraine Hansbury wrote in her iconic play A Raisin In The Sun, "Africa sure is claiming her own tonight".

08-11-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
The placing of the 'i' right down the middle of her head looks ridiculous.
I was thinking the exact same thing, then I imagined the cover without the "i" and realised it would be called "Arse" without it...

fashion elite

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORK! But I have to say that they made her look like Beyoncť, she looks fierce that's obvious but the hairstyle and pose made me feel that she looked more like a performer than herself here. I'll buy this without a doubt but when I read the title, I was expecting something fiercer lol. Also does anybody knows when her Amica spread come out? Or it already did? What about her Nylon feature too?

V.I.P.

She does look like Beyonce in Single Ladies.

girl who fell to earth

i don't mind the placement of the "i" - i think it almost looks tribal or something which is cool.

i think this is a good cover for her.

V.I.P.

She really does look like Beyonce in Single Ladies, the styling is poor

08-11-2012
V.I.P.

She looks great on the cover and ed!

08-11-2012
MON
V.I.P.

I like it

backstage pass

I really don't want to like it because it's Tyra (cause she kinda scares me TBH ) but I can't help but like it. She just looks cool and not like she's trying to be corny and smiley like I was expecting when I saw her name on the thread.

V.I.P.

Tyra looks beautiful. Love the cover and the ed preview.

15-11-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
Supermodel turned Mogul turns up the heat for a cover story in ARISE MAGAZINE. Celebrity Stylist Ty-Ron Mayes coordinates, produces and styles TYRA BANKS in New York as the staff of ARISE MAGAZINE flies in to document the creator and host of America's Next Top Model.
Source: http://www.ariselive.com/magazine

V.I.P.

Arise Magazine Issue 18: Kerry Washington

Arise.com

06-02-2013
V.I.P.

"Shine on"
Model: Genesis Vallejo
Ph: Yuseku Miyazaki

trump models

06-02-2013
tfs star

Love this issue! Thanks for the scans Fer.

V.I.P.

Ph: Micaela Rossato
Model: Hind Sahli
Styling: Sabrina Henry

Arise magazine on facebook

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
arise, magazine