How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-07-2006
far from home...

Ashlee’s Nose Job Is Last Straw for New Editor of Marie Claire (NYT)
source: nytimes.com

Quote:
July 31, 2006
Ashlee’s Nose Job Is Last Straw for New Editor of Marie Claire

By KATHARINE Q. SEELYE

Ashlee Simpson appeared on the July cover of Marie Claire magazine extolling the virtues of appreciating one’s body as it is — then she had a nose job.

Marie Claire readers erupted in fury at what they said was Ms. Simpson’s hypocrisy and the magazine’s “cluelessness.” They wrote 1,000 letters in protest to the magazine, according to Joanna Coles, the new editor of the magazine. And she agreed with them.

Ashlee Simpson, top, talked about valuing one’s God-given attributes in the July Marie Claire. Maggie Gyllenhaal is featured in the first issue, bottom, under full control of the magazine’s new editor.

In the first issue (due Aug. 15) over which she exercises full editorial control, Ms. Coles gives expanded space in the letters column to readers to vent against Ms. Simpson. Ms. Coles adds in a note: “We’re dazed and confused — and disappointed — by her choice, too!”

Rare is the day when the editor of a women’s magazine will openly criticize a celebrity. But Ms. Coles is planting a flag: A new Marie Claire is in town and it is making a clean break with its past. No girly goo, no teeny-bopper covers, no blind obedience to the traditional rules of the road.

“It has always been the smart girls’ book,” Ms. Coles said last week in an interview in her airy perch in the new Hearst building in Midtown Manhattan. “But it drifted off-brand, partly due to the assault on the newsstand from celebrity weeklies. It happened to everyone, not just Marie Claire.”

The magazine’s paid circulation was up 3 percent, to 970,000, in the last six months of 2005 compared with the same period in 2004. But the number of copies sold on the newsstand has been flat, an indicator that the magazine is not winning over impulse-buyers, who pay full price, as opposed to home subscribers, who pay discounted rates.

Marie Claire announced in April that it was seeking a “fresh perspective” and was not renewing the contract of its editor, Lesley Jane Seymour. Instead, it hired Ms. Coles, who was the executive editor of More magazine, which is geared toward women over 40.

Ms. Coles, who was a foreign correspondent for The Times of London and The Guardian, is hoping to revitalize Marie Claire by giving it attitude and orienting it toward confident, professional women.

For example, she said, a growing number of women are earning more than their husbands, and she wants Marie Claire to be a place where women discuss such matters. Maggie Gyllenhaal, an actress who Ms. Coles said was not typical magazine cover fare, is the subject of the September cover.

Inserting attitude and offering higher-end articles could be risky for a magazine that many women turn to for fashion and beauty information.

“It’s not easy to get at that market,” said Robert S. Boynton, director of the magazine program at New York University. “In the women’s category, we haven’t seen any new magazines that are ambitious editorially in that way in a long time.”

31-07-2006
VSFS 2009!

Great to see Maggie G on that cover, she's a wonderful actress.

31-07-2006
Reinventing myself...

I read this article earlier today. I am curious to see what this magazine comes up with because its content is always a little ridiculous – except for maybe a couple of articles on women in less fortunate situations. However, those articles are usually among stupid pieces such as "Would you do your groceries in a bathing suit"...

Last edited by L.A.Gant; 31-07-2006 at 09:57 AM.
31-07-2006
windowshopping

Marie Claire should have seen this when they took her photos!

But they did well after it.

31-07-2006
V.I.P.

thanks for posting this!
I really hope they get better covers, Maggie one is quite promising!
lets see how the september issue overall is then.

31-07-2006
Melancholy

her nose her business...if she wasnt hounded constantly by the press she wouldnt have had such bad body image...at the end of the day so freaking what. She got the bump out of her nose. BIG DEAL.

31-07-2006
Amour Comme Hiver

I really do hope this new angle works for Marie Claire- it is a really, really bold move to stray away from the heard of magazines putting high-profile celebs on the cover. That said, as unattractive as I find her to be, the Maggie G cover looks very good, sort of a darker edge for fall.

31-07-2006
Brooklyn, baby!

You can tell the magazine's already headed in a new direction. The Maggie cover is much more 'edgy' than any Marie Claire cover I've ever seen! Usually they're so bright, and well... boring.

31-07-2006
God Save McQueen

wow, im glad they are breaking out of their mold. the cover with maggie looks amazing. i think the cosmo style cover is just so freaking boring.

id like to see whats inside. ive always enjoyed marie claire for the most part, i hope they keep what is good about the magazine

31-07-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieRL
her nose her business...if she wasnt hounded constantly by the press she wouldnt have had such bad body image...at the end of the day so freaking what. She got the bump out of her nose. BIG DEAL.
I agree, but it's just so hypocritical and irritating of Asslee to pretend like she's all original and interesting and preach about individuality and embracing your natural self and be little Miss Punk and then do an about face and turn into a Paris Hilton lookalike and get her nose (which does look better now, I'll admit, but it's the principle of the matter), probably the most publically recognizable thing about her physically, worked on.

31-07-2006
front row

I say more power to them, it seems pretty obvious, just by looking at the 2 covers, that they're headed in the right direction. I quite like the Maggie G. cover, I never thought of her as beautiful, but the cover is striking! What the f**k has ashlee simpson ever done to get to be on the cover of any half way respectable magazine anyway.

I hope it works for them, then maybe Vogue, Bazaar, etc. will get their heads out of the boring celebrity sand.

31-07-2006
Meg
inspired contemplation

love to hear this. I really hope it's successful. I'm sick of these filler 'womens' magazines. And that cover is STUNNING. love maggie and love the cover. Will definately pick it up.

31-07-2006
windowshopping

Ohh I love the cover with Maggie!!

31-07-2006
tailored

it's great to see a magazine like marie claire stand up and state that what ashlee simpson said, then did was wrong...
i'll definitely pick this up too...
the cover photo and choice of maggie gyllenhaal is fantastic...
i'm interested in seeing how they've continued the design changes inside...

V.I.P.

Thanks for posting this. I read the article yesterday, and I was very impressed by what they did. Besides, I really like the new Maggie cover. IMHO, Ashlee is just another sacrifice of her greedy and disgusting dad.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ashlee’s, claire, editor, job, marie, nose, nyt, straw