How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

10-11-2010
front row

source: WWD

http://www.wwd.com/eyescoop/fashion-...85?src=twitter

10-11-2010
trendsetter

^ Ashley Heath replacing her is a relief. I just hope Pop wouldn't change fashion editors.

11-11-2010
front row

source: twitter.com/HilaryAlexander

"Dasha Zhukova is planning to launch a new arts-culture-fashion project, digitally-based. Watch this space"

11-11-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
VANITY FRANCE ?: Could France be the next country to get its own version of Vanity Fair? Sources said Condé Nast France is mulling a launch of the title, and has been putting out feelers. A spokeswoman for Condé Nast International in London declined to offer any specifics. “We’re looking at three or four different options — but we’re always looking at our options. We are still far from giving any projects the green light, and I’d be surprised if anything is decided before the new year,” she said. Extending the Vanity Fair franchise to France would not be a surprising move. Condé Nast launched Vanity Fair Italy in 2003. The magazine was the first weekly iteration of the title, and has consistently been one of Condé Nast International’s most lucrative books. In 2007, it launched Vanity Fair Germany, but closed the title two years later, not long after the financial crisis struck. In 2008, it launched Vanity Fair Spain, a monthly title.
wwd.com

11-11-2010
V.I.P.

Wow..so many resignations from fashion publication are happening right now.

11-11-2010
Ère de ℳodernité

Thank you Tarsha for the VF France? article

12-11-2010
Mr. Magic

Quote:
Dasha Zhukova resigns as editor-in-chief of Pop magazine

The Russian beauty, Dasha Zhukova, steps down as editor-in-chief of Pop magazine to focus on independent digital publishing projects.

Confirming the rumours which have been swirling around Planet Fashion for the last few days, it was announced late yesterday that Dasha Zhukova, the stunning Russian beauty, philanthropist and entrepreneur, has resigned as the editor-in-chief of Pop Magazine.

Ms Zhukova, 29, is leaving to focus on independent digital publishing projects in the arts and is believed to be close to finalising her first new deal.

"My time at Pop has been a transformative experience that I am extremely proud of. It has afforded me the chance to collaborate with some of the greatest creative minds in the world and I'm thankful to Ashley Heath and Bauer Media for the opportunity," she said. "I'm now excited to move on and build something from the ground up."

Dasha Zhukova joined Pop in February, last year. Creating a nexus between the worlds of art and fashion, her editorship featured collaborative covers between Damien Hirst & Tavi Gevinson, Richard Prince & Abbey Lee and Takashi Murakami & Britney Spears.

The long-term girlfriend of Roman Abramovich, the owner of Chelsea Football Club, Ms Zhukova gave birth to the couple's first child, a son, Aaron Alexander Abramovich, in December.

In addition to her work in publishing, fashion and the arts, Dasha Zhukova is the founder of the Iris Foundation - a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting the understanding and development of contemporary culture throughout the world. In September 2008, through Iris, she launched the Garage Center for Contemporary Culture in Moscow, which has grown into the city's most prominent venue showcasing modern and contemporary art.
telegraph.uk

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

13-11-2010
trendsetter

Not a glossy news but this woman was once the bright editor of Vanity Fair and Talk magazines

Quote:
Tina Brown: Back in Print, Baby

(NEW YORK) Tina Brown is an editor-in-chief---of a print publication---yet again. "Daily Beast, Newsweek to Wed!" she cheekily proclaims on the homepage of the Beast, officially ending weeks of discussions with Newsweek owner Sidney Harman. IAC, the parent company of The Daily Beast chaired by Barry Diller, and Harman will be joint owners of the new venture, titled The Newsweek Daily Beast Company. “I see Newsweek and the Beast as a marriage between Newsweek's journalistic depth and the vibrant versatility The Daily Beast has realized on the Web,” said Brown in an announcement. “The metabolism of The Daily Beast will help power the resurgence of Newsweek and Newsweek amplifies the range of talent and audience The Daily Beast can reach. The two entities together offer writers, photographers and marketers a powerful dual platform."

Brown will take over as EIC of both Newsweek—formerly helmed by Jon Meacham, who left once Harman completed his purchase of the magazine—and The Daily Beast, which has reached an audience of nearly 5 million monthly unique visitors since its launch in 2008. “In The Daily Beast, Tina and her truly great team have in Internet-time created an hourly, daily news magazine and now will have the ability to revive the weekly venerable Newsweek with all the tools and sensibility they've perfected in the Beast,” said Diller. “I'm so pleased to join with Dr. Harman in our new company. He's such a compelling force and I'm sure he will stimulate this undertaking every day.”

“In an admittedly challenging time, this merger provides the ideal combination of established journalism authority and bright, bristling website savvy,” said Harman. “I like partnering with Barry Diller and I look forward to building our company with Tina Brown and Stephen Colvin." Colvin, currently the president of The Daily Beast, will serve in the position of CEO of The Newsweek Daily Beast Company.
EMILY GYBEN
Source : dailyfrontrow.com, 2010 November 12

13-11-2010
trendsetter

^ I'm not sure of this merger yet though I must admit that I'm excited to see how Tina Brown will revamp Newsweek.

13-11-2010
V.I.P.

Every issue of POP under Dasha's control has been incredible...if Ashley Heath was really the brains behind Dasha's operation then it shouldn't be too noticeable a change.

16-11-2010
V.I.P.

Croatia: Gruner + Jahr To Publish Cosmopolitan under license in the country from 2011

Gruner + Jahr International will introduce Cosmopolitan magazine under license to the Croatian market from January 2011.

Cosmopolitan is the bestselling young women's publication worldwide, with separate editions in 60 countries, and is published by the Hearst Magazines International media corporation. Gruner + Jahr International has already successfully established the magazine in Spain and several other countries.

Cosmopolitan's publisher in Croatia will be Adria Media, a Joint Venture between Gruner + Jahr and Sanoma Magazines International. It already has a successful presence in the Croatian market with the magazines ELLE, MEN'S HEALTH, GEO and STORY. The license takeover is expected to optimize the portfolio and strengthen its market position significantly.

Dr. Torsten-Jörn Klein, a member of the G+J executive board and President of G+J International, says: "By adding Cosmopolitan, another women's G+magazine of high quality, to our Croatian portfolio, we keep the leading position in this segment and present us as a very attractive partner for advertisers."

source: publicitas.com

18-11-2010
trendsetter

Quote:
Tonchi turmoil

The next editor on the hot seat may be Stefano Tonchi at W Magazine. A reliable publishing source said the top brass at Condé Nast are none too pleased with the direction the magazine is taking since he was hired to replace longtime editorial director Patrick McCarthy earlier this year.

The Kim Kardashian cover -- where she appeared nude with strategically placed black bars -- did not go over well at 4 Times Square, sources said. Shortly after the issue appeared, the creative director, Jody Quon, was gone, with no new replacement named.

Tonchi, who came from the New York Times insert T, has only been on the job since April.

Keith J. Kelly, New York Post, November 17, 2010
nypost.com
Nymag follow up:

Quote:
Keith Kelly: Condé ‘None Too Pleased’ With Direction Tonchi Is Taking W

A "reliable" publishing source told the Post columnist that the "next editor on the hot seat" might be W's Stefano Tonchi, because they don't like the "direction the magazine is taking." Kelly looks to the departure of creative director Jody Quon as evidence (and a WWD item from that time quoted Tonchi admitting there was "tension" in the office). But a rep for W tells us, "It's the furthest thing from the truth. The company is thrilled with the work — newsstand and web, everything is fine. Our sales are strong. Keith needs to check his sources."

Nymag.com, November 17, 2010

18-11-2010
V.I.P.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

18-11-2010
Mr. Magic

From Derek Blasberg twitter:
Quote:
In today's completely unsubstantiated rumors: Aliona Doletskaya, former editor-in-chief of Russian Vogue, is vying for the top gig at POP.

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

18-11-2010
V.I.P.

^ That would be AWESOME!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, 2010, 2013, august, business, magazines, march