How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

18-04-2012
don't look down

Another freesheet for London (featuresexec.com):

Quote:
Free fashion magazine Amuse is set to launch on 30 April, targeting women readers in London.
Editor Sasha Slater has previously worked as editor of ES Magazine, deputy editor Stephanie Hirschmiller was former editor at the Harper's Bazaar website. Filling out the editorial team are beauty editor Arabella Preston and beauty columnist Bethan Cole.
Its initial print run of 120,000 will be distributed at London tube stations, health clubs, offices in the city and first class airport lounges.
Featuring content on fashion and beauty as well as arts, culture, shopping and lifestyle, the magazine will also have a website and social media presence as well as an app, planned to launch in September of this year.

03-05-2012
V.I.P.

Hope it's in the right place
Quote:
Vogue editors unite to launch model health initiative
19 Vogue editors from across the world have come together to create guidelines around model health to tackle ill-health in the fashion industry.
Launching across 19 international June editions of Vogue , 'The Health Initiative' is a pact between the magazines' editors to encourage a healthier approach to body image within the industry.
The initiative is a programme designed to ensure that fashion models used by Vogue are well cared for and educated in ways that will encourage and help them to take care of themselves, addressing as many of the pressing issues relating to ill-health in the industry as can realistically be tackled.
Jonathan Newhouse, chairman of Vogue publisher Condé Nast International, made the following comments: "Vogue believes that good health is beautiful. Vogue editors around the world want the magazines to reflect their commitment to the health of the models who appear on the pages and the wellbeing of their readers."

The initiative builds on the guidelines already drawn out by Council of Fashion Designers of America with the support of American Vogue in the US and the British Fashion Council with the help of British Vogue in the UK have already begun.

ogue editors have made the following six-point agreement:

1. We will not knowingly work with models under the age of 16 or who appear to have an eating disorder. We will work with models who, in our view, are healthy and help to promote a healthy body image

2. We will ask agents not to knowingly send us underage girls and casting directors to check IDs when casting shoots, shows and campaigns.

3. We will help to structure mentoring programmes where more mature models are able to give advice and guidance to younger girls, and we will help to raise industry-wide awareness through education, as has been integral to the Council of Fashion Designers of America Health Initiative.

4. We will encourage producers to create healthy backstage working conditions, including healthy food options and a respect for privacy. We will encourage casting agents not to keep models unreasonably late.

5. We encourage designers to consider the consequences of unrealistically small sample sizes of their clothing, which limits the range of women who can be photographed in their clothes, and encourages the use of extremely thin models.

6. We will be ambassadors for the message of healthy body image.

The full list of Vogue editions and editors to have made the pact include the following: Emmanuelle Alt, France; Christiane Arp, Germany; Angelica Cheung, China; Kirstie Clements, Australia; Victoria Davydova, Russia; Seda Domanic, Turkey; Daniela Falcao, Brazil; Myung Hee Lee, Korea; Elena Makri, Greece; Paula Mateus, Portugal; Yolanda Sacristan, Spain; Alexandra Shulman, United Kingdom; Franca Sozzani, Italy; Karin Swerink, The Netherlands; Kelly Talamas, Mexico; Priya Tanna, India; Mitsuko Watanabe, Japan; Anna Wintour, United States; and Sky Wu, Taiwan.
[telegraph.co.uk]

04-05-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rex View Post
I posted this in the April Interview thread. It might be more apt here.

Yesterday I received from Interview a renewal form that states (in small print) that "Interview is published 8 times per year." It was published 10 times for at least the last couple of years. Their price per issue has raised from 6 to 9 dollars as well.

Seems to me they're having trouble. I wonder if they will be around in a year or so.
I just bought the April issue here, and inside there was a subscription card offering a full year (9 issues) for $19.95...I really don't understand what's going on with them right now.

04-05-2012
Mr. Zhivago

Maybe this is their way of saying "we have 10 issues a year but are only going to send you 8." That seems to be the case with me the past year or so.

I also have a card for "2 years (16 issues)."

05-05-2012
V.I.P.

^That's aslo a possibility, still having 10 issues per year, but tricking people into thinking that they're subscribing for a full year when really it's only 8 issues...

10-05-2012
backstage pass

US March Magazine Sales

Quote:
Elle
Blake Lively’s blonde tresses failed to work their magic for Elle, which was down 25 percent to 221,800 copies.

Marie Claire
Marie Claire, which chose Eva Mendes for its March cover, dropped 22.9 percent on the newsstand with 202,300 copies

Lucky
While Lucky, reporting sales of 140,000 copies, saw a 20.3 percent decrease.

Harper's Bazaar
Despite the debut of its flashy new redesign, featuring a larger trim size and cover girl Gwyneth Paltrow, Harper's Bazaar was also unable to increase newsstand sales, hitting 134,500 copies—a drop of 5.9 percent.

Vogue
Though also down, Vogue fared slightly better. The fashion bible sold 435,000 copies of its March issue, off just 2.5 percent from the previous year.

InStyle
The month’s big winner was InStyle, which managed to sell 777,000 copies—up 16.8 percent increase—and proved that cover girl Jennifer Aniston still has a firm grasp on the title of America’s sweetheart.

Glamour
Also having success was Glamour, whose March issue featuring Amanda Seyfried marked the debut of the magazine’s redesign. With 436,393 copies sold, Glamour was up 1.3 percent year over year and according to early estimates from Condé Nast, has continued to see positive growth in its April and May newsstand numbers.

W
Although not a major newsstand player, W magazine saw a significant bump in single copy sales this March. The oversized title, whose dual covers featured fashion icon Kate Moss, sold 28,000 copies—a more than 21 percent increase over the year prior.
Ad Week

10-05-2012
I don't know

Happy to see W doing better. HB just needs to quit

10-05-2012
V.I.P.

It's incredible how much effect Jennifer Aniston has on sales, despite the fact she appears on so many covers, and gives pretty much the same interview each time.

11-05-2012
V.I.P.

So happy for W, and i have long quit trying to understand how JA sells so much, but she has a huge following of women who adore her, so she will always sell for magazines, no matter how boring the rest of us think she is. I wonder if US Vogue regrets pulling that quote stunt on the cover the last time she graced it. If its true that her PR went ballistic and told Wintour to never ever approach them again.

Thanks so much for posting that Gary.

11-05-2012
V.I.P.

Jesus Christ, 770.000 copies? The woman can sell magazines like warm bread (inexplicably).

Great to hear W had a big boost in sales. I imagine that it was the fashion fans that led to an increase in sales for that particular issue.

11-05-2012
fashion icon

Go Jen!

16-05-2012
tfs star

Vogue editor sacked as heads roll at News Magazines

Quote:
The Australian fashion industry is in shock following the sudden exit of Vogue Australia editor-in-chief Kirstie Clements after 10 years as editor-in-chief of the magazine.
The chief executive of NewsLifeMedia, Nicole Sheffield, today announced that Edwina McCann had been appointed editor-in-chief.
SMH

Would explain why the last couple of issues have been quite good, anyways I'm excited to see what McCann would bring to Vogue!

Last edited by mrsjamesdean; 16-05-2012 at 04:26 AM.

16-05-2012
trendsetter

^I'm so sad though! After 10 years and bringing VA out of the financial issues brought on by Marion Hume (EIC before Kirstie) and all the contribution she has brought to the Aus fashion industry I'm so sad to see her go!

ps why do you think Kirstie leaving would have made the issues good?

16-05-2012
V.I.P.

^ I always thought she has zero taste, and lacks the eye for making interesting images, just my observation based on the issues i have bought, and there have been plenty. I do however agree that it has been getting better which makes her firing ironic. But i will shed no tears because i remember all those awful issues without a single thing in it worthy of my time. And i am excited to see what McCann brings to the table.

16-05-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dalloway View Post
^ I always thought she has zero taste, and lacks the eye for making interesting images, just my observation based on the issues i have bought, and there have been plenty. I do however agree that it has been getting better which makes her firing ironic. But i will shed no tears because i remember all those awful issues without a single thing in it worthy of my time. And i am excited to see what McCann brings to the table.
Yeah I understand your point. VA did have some horrid years. I wonder if Christine will defect to Vogue?!

Last edited by AL92; 16-05-2012 at 06:40 AM.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, 2010, 2013, august, business, magazines, march