How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

15-08-2012
front row

wow, I really hope it's not true as I just renewed my subscription so I already paid for issue #9! and really, that would be a shame.

15-08-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
There Was a Rumor That Love Was Folding, But It’s Not, Says Katie Grand

Someone posted a rumor on the Fashion Spot this morning that nearly made us spit out our coffee in horror–that Love, the best magazine ever, was folding. “Pedro” wrote, without any further explanation:

I’ve been told by a reliable source that LOVE Magazine is ceasing and the last issue No. 8 will be the last one published.

“Why, Pedro?? Whyyy??” we thought. TFS commenters were equally devastated: “That’s a pity, because I really love this magazine…” “It’s a pity, I found Love to be a magazine I relied on to provide plenty of editorial content that I love, something rare for me nowadays.”

Thankfully, the rumor proved false (Don’t scare us like that, Pedro). Katie Grand gave us the following statement:

LOVE is not folding, we just published our most successful issue to date with 457 pages, 194 number of advertising pages, and up 10% from this time last year.

Everyone rejoice! Of course, you may not have even known that there was a rumor that Love was folding until right now, when we told you. But: the rumor wasn’t entirely unbelievable. No one was really quick to dismiss it as false.

One reason why people may have found credence in the rumor is that, as we all know, print publishing is not in its heyday and poor sales were a possibility (luckily, that’s not the reality). Another reason is that editors come and go and perhaps Grand had been hired elsewhere. She did recently hire two new top-level editors. As one TFS commenter points out, there have been rumors that Grand was being groomed by Conde Nast to take Alexandra Schulman’s position as EIC at Vogue UK, which she’s denied in the past.

Luckily, we still have plenty of ethereal Mert & Marcus-lensed covers, disturbing photos of Kristen Mcmenamy, videos of dancing Victoria’s Secret models and more fashion brilliance than we can even fathom, to look forward to.
fashionista.com

15-08-2012
When in doubt, wear red.

Great news !!! Even though I wouldn't mind Katie replacing Alexandra Shulman at UK Vogue one day. I just want her to take Andreas with her wherever she goes

16-08-2012
trendsetter

The news regarding LOVE Magazine that I submitted here yesterday need clarification:

LOVE's distributor COMAG (which is partially owned by CONDÉ NAST PUBLICATIONS), informed their customers about LOVE ceasing. Therefore all their orders have been zeroed after issue Nº 8.

May possibly be a mistake, but so far COMAG did not issue any statement to the contrary.

LOVE's official subscription page, under CONDÉ NAST PUBLICATIONS's MAGAZINEBOUTIQUE.co.uk, is still available, but coincidently or maybe not, no longer can be ordered a subscription because the drop-down box which should contain a start issue date is empty, therefore you can't proceed, unlike all the other CONDÉ NAST titles available.

I truly respect Ms. Katie Grand's comments and arguments but something strange is happening.

16-08-2012
trendsetter

UPDATE:

COMAG have confirmed LOVE MAGAZINE IS NOT CEASING PUBLICATION.

17-08-2012
Mag Master

Vogue China is now on zinio!
Since yesterday Vogue China is available via zinio! I think this great news, cause it's hard to get it in time, anywhere else in the world

17-08-2012
backstage pass

FROM THE EVENING STANDARD
16 August 2012

All change at Harper’s Bazaar? Lucy Yeomans, its award-winning editor for 12 years, upped sticks this March to join Net-a-Porter, the online clothing site. The Londoner hears her replacement is to be Justine Picardie, author and former features editor of Vogue.

Picardie firmly stamped her style credentials on the industry with her recent biography of Coco Chanel. She also currently writes The Closet Thinker column for the Telegraph’s Stella magazine. Keeping the throne warm meanwhile is acting editor Jenny Dickinson. However, there is a twist to this tale. When Yeomans moved to Net-a-Porter, she was following in the footsteps of Esquire editor Jeremy Langmead, who left in 2010 to join its male partner, Mr Porter.

Esquire and Harper’s Bazaar are owned by the Hearst Corporation, which must by now be worried about losing top staff to the retail industry. Tess Macleod Smith, publishing director of Esquire and Harper’s Bazaar, left last September to take the equivalent role at Net-a-Porter.

Picardie was unavailable for comment. Hearst is being cagey about the role. “We haven’t made an appointment or an announcement yet,” says a spokesman for the magazine group. When will you be making an appointment, the Londoner enquired. “I don’t know.” Quick, quick, before Picardie is snapped up by a retailer too.

17-08-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
TOUGH FIRST HALF: British magazines posted a muted set of print circulation figures during the first half of 2012. Figures published Thursday by the U.K.’s Audit Bureau of Circulations showed that most women’s and men’s fashion and lifestyle titles either declined in circulation or grew only marginally.

As a sector, women’s fashion lifestyle titles shrank by 5.1 percent compared to the same period last year, while the men’s lifestyle sector fell 1.1 percent.

Women’s titles that notched gains compared to the first half of 2011 included Easy Living, which unveiled a redesign under new editor Deborah Joseph in March, and rose 3.8 percent to 164,019. Vanity Fair rose 0.1 percent to 100,692, while Harper’s Bazaar U.K. was up 0.4 percent to 119,274 and IPC Media’s Marie Claire rose 1.7 percent over the year to 255,021.

Condé Nast U.K.’s Glamour saw sales fall 11.3 percent to 470,138, although this was a 0.8 percent increase compared with the July-December 2011 figure. Vogue’s circulation fell 2.7 percent to 205,033 year-on-year, while Elle U.K. fell 3.8 percent to 189,568 and Tatler’s circulation dipped 0.7 percent to 87,004. InStyle U.K., published by IPC Media, fell 6.7 percent over the year to 163,432. All figures are for the print titles’ total average net circulation and distribution.

Among men’s titles, Condé Nast’s GQ’s circulation rose 1.6 percent year-on-year, to 120,139, while Hearst’s Esquire’s fell 6 percent to 54,702. Titles aimed at the younger, laddish end of the market continued to suffer — FHM fell 20.4 percent over the year to 123,844, while Nuts plummeted 20.9 percent to 90,134 and Zoo dropped 14.7 percent to 46,310.

Publishers pointed to growing digital sales of their titles, saying those are serving to buoy their often slow-growing print figures. Condé Nast U.K. published figures that incorporated digital sales of its magazines, taking Vogue’s circulation to 206,383, GQ’s to 129,791 and Vanity Fair’s to 106,934. Hearst Magazines U.K. noted that Harper’s Bazaar U.K. posted a combined digital and print circulation of 125,516, while Elle’s figure, combining digital and print circulation, rose to 196,363.
wwd.com

17-08-2012
V.I.P.

Well Picardie is an incredibly intelligent woman, who understands fashion, and i can see her doing great at Bazaar, Dickisnson did not impress me so far, even if she was in the position not for a very long time. I hope they make it official soon, as for retailers stealing the editors, please that is hardly an epidemic they need to be afraid of.

17-08-2012
fashion icon

Its hard for me to believe UK Vogue has only cca 200 000 readers. Is it maybe just in the UK itself or its worldwide?

17-08-2012
Ère de ℳodernité

Is French Vanity Fair finally happening? According to LesInrocks.com, French journalist Michel Denisot has been approached by CondeNast to become the editor-in-chief of the French version of Vanity Fair... See, in French: http://www.lesinrocks.com/2012/08/bu...e-vanity-fair/

22-08-2012
V.I.P.

Its official now:

Quote:

New Creative Roles at Harper's Bazaar
Justine Picardie appointed to role of Editor-in-chief; Marissa Bourke announced as Creative Director

Wednesday 22nd August 2012: Hearst Magazines UK, Hearst Corporation’s principal business in the UK, is delighted to announce the appointments of Justine Picardie to the role of Editor-In-Chief of Harper’s Bazaar and Marissa Bourke to Creative Director.
Justine, who replaces Acting Editor Jenny Dickinson, is a renowned editor, writer and author with a wealth of experience in the fashion and literary worlds. She joins Harper’s Bazaaron September 10. Marissa joins Bazaar next month from ELLE where she has been Creative Director for the past eight years.
The high profile appointments reunite Justine and Marissa in a unique creative partnership that first began in the late 90s. In their new roles, they will work with Deputy Editor Sarah Bailey and Art Director Tom Usher to build on the great work already done at Harper’s Bazaar and take the iconic luxury brand to a new era.

Jenny Dickinson will remain at Harper’s Bazaar as Consultant Editor until the end of the year. Hearst Magazine UK’s COO, Anna Jones, will continue to publish the brand until a new Group Publishing Director is appointed.
Justine Picardie has an impressive career in glossy magazines, newspapers and book publishing, and has held consultancy roles for several leading fashion brands. She is currently a contributor to both Bazaar UK and US, a former Features Director for British Vogue, formerly the Editor of the Observer Magazine, an editor at the Independent and Independent on Sunday, and a writer and columnist for The Times and Sunday Times,and the Daily and Sunday Telegraph. She also worked on the launch of Marie Claire with US Bazaar Editor, Glenda Bailey, as a consultant on the launch of RED, and is the author of five critically acclaimed books including the recent international best seller, Coco Chanel – The Legend and the Life.
Marissa began her career at The Face and Arena. Before joining ELLE in 2004, she was Art Director at British Vogue. She also freelanced for Vogue Russia, Allure New York, Esquire UK and GQ UK. Marissa has won numerous awards for her work including the SPD Gold medal (2012), SPD Members Choice Award (2011), Yellow Pencil D&AD Awards (2010) and was named BSME Art Director of the Year in 2010.

In the meantime, ELLE Magazine has announced it is close to appointing a replacement Creative Director for Marissa. The appointment is in line with exciting new editorial developments at ELLE to be unveiled in due course.
Justine Picardie commented: “I’m tremendously excited to be taking this position on a magazine that has already achieved so much under the great leadership of former Harper’s Bazaar Editor-In-Chief, Lucy Yeomans. Bazaar has an inspiring heritage as a luxury brand from the days of Carmel Snow, Alexey Brodovitch and Diana Vreeland, to Fabien Baron and Liz Tilberis, and I hope to celebrate the creativity and editorial ambition of the title with the same dedication as my predecessors. I’m also delighted to be reunited with Marissa Bourke with whom I worked with at Vogue, and to join Sarah Bailey, and the very talented team at Bazaar. It’s an exciting time for the magazine and this creative partnership promises a dynamic future for the brand.

Marissa Bourke commented: "My ambition is to draw on the extraordinary and unparalleled history of Harper's Bazaar, while repositioning it for a new era. I am thrilled to have been given this opportunity to develop a modern visual language, that has its roots in the legacy left by the great masters of 20th century design."

Arnaud de Puyfontaine, Chief Executive,Hearst Magazines UK also commented: “The appointments of Justine and Marissa to their respective roles at Harper’s Bazaar is an exciting milestone for the prestigious luxury brand, which recently posted its highest ever ABC figure, up 2.0% year on year and up 5.2% for combined print and digital edition sales. Justine and Marissa are hugely talented and highly respected in the industry, and I look forward to seeing the results of this unique creative partnership at Harper’s Bazaar. I would also like to take the opportunity to thank Jenny Dickinson for her hard work as Acting Editor.”
hearst.co.uk

22-08-2012
V.I.P.

What should we anticipate from Justine Picardie, at British Bazaar?

22-08-2012
V.I.P.

^ It's hard to tell how "her Bazaar" will feel just yet , but i think this is a woman of a very strong point of view, and mostly what excites me is that she appreciates the written word. The articles i expect to be on a higher level, and i know some dont care for that in fashion magazines, but i think its very important for the book to have something intelligent to say, and not just be about stunning images full of advertisers.

So i expect from her a beautiful, well edited attractive magazine. I might end up totally disappointed though, expected Dickinson to do much better as well, then the end result was more ELLE than HB. But for Picardie, as someone who has enjoyed her books, the standard is set even higher, imo.

22-08-2012
front row

I'm going to miss Marissa at ELLE. She is a brilliant Creative Director, and given the way the magazine's been going lately, I have a feeling that will be the nail in the coffin (despite how much I love it)

Glad that Jenny is staying on at Harper's as a consulting editor though - she's got a brilliant vision.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, 2010, 2013, august, business, magazines, march