How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

28-08-2012
Ère de ℳodernité

In an interview to Les Échos, Xavier de Romatet (CEO of Conde Nast France) Vogue Paris' sales remained stable during the first semester of the year. The relaunch of the magazine's website was a success and the amount of unique visitors increased from 350 000 to 500 000. Finally, he talked about Vogue Travel in France and how 50 000 copies will be distributed in the French luxury hotels. The first issue of VTIF will contain 146 pages, 30 of them being ads.

Source (in French): http://www.lesechos.fr/entreprises-s...ois-354593.php

28-08-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Sally Singer Out at T

Sally Singer is out as editor of T: The New York Times Style Magazine. Singer joined the Times back in July 2010 after a long run at Vogue as fashion news and features director. At the time, she succeeded Stefano Tonchi who left T to become editor in chief of W. A spokeswoman confirmed to WWD that Singer is leaving at the end of the week.

"I'm sorry to announce that Sally Singer will be leaving T magazine and The Times at the end of this month," said executive editor Jill Abramson, in a note to the staff. "Sally's contributions are clear to anyone who's read the magazine during her tenure. Gorgeous visuals, interesting stories and enterprising features — both in print and online — have been hallmarks of her stewardship. We wish her every success. " No successor has been named.
wwd.com

Last edited by SugarMe; 28-08-2012 at 02:52 PM.

28-08-2012
don't look down

10 for Australia (mumbrella.com.au):

Quote:
10 launches in Australia with former ACP team reunited

August 27th, 2012

European luxury magazine 10 and sister title 10 Men is to launch in Australia.

The deal between Alison Veness Publishing and Zac Publishing will bring the multi-platform magazine to Australia as a biannual hardcover print magazine in February and as a digital title from September.

The titles are edited by former Harper’s BAZAAR editor and founding editor of Australian Grazia Alison Veness, who has been on a two year hiatus from publishing.

Veness has been working as a brand consultant for fashion designer Collette Dinnigan. She is joined by two former ACP staff former national group sales manager Nicki Singh in a sales role, and former Grazia bookings editor Rebecca Khoury, as associate editor.

Alison Veness said in a media release: “10 and 10 Men is a natural fit for Australian consumers who are internationally renowned for their love of fashion and have a thirst for luxury across all platforms. 10 is an independent, free-thinking and credible fashion destination among a plethora of formulaic, celebrity-obsessed publications.”

The digital edition 10magazine.com.au launches in two weeks along with presences on social media platforms including Pinterest.

The smartphone edition will launch in 2013, and the hardcover magazines will have a companion tablet edition.

04-09-2012
V.I.P.

Joanna Coles of US Marie Claire is leaving to become the eic of Cosmopolitan, wonder if this shake up might set the wheels in motion for other Hearst titles, like HB. One can hope. And now i wonder if Garcia might take the eic role at MC.

Quote:
JOANNA COLES NAMED EDITOR-IN-CHIEF OF U.S. COSMOPOLITAN

Award-Winning Journalist, Women’s Magazine Veteran to Head World’s Largest-Selling Monthly Magazine and Digital Leader

NEW YORK, September 4, 2012 -- Hearst Magazines President David Carey today announced that Joanna Coles has been appointed editor-in-chief of U.S. Cosmopolitan, the world’s largest women’s magazine and the biggest-selling monthly magazine on U.S. newsstands and a leader in the digital, social media and tablet space. Coles, who had been editor-in-chief of Marie Claire since April 2006, replaces longtime editor Kate White, who has decided to shift focus to her already successful writing and speaking career. White will be staying on at Hearst as an advisor. Coles starts in her new role on September 10th, and will report to Carey.

“Joanna has done an incredible job at Marie Claire over the past six years. Her great success in television and social media, her sharp instinct about women and what they want, and her experience working on a global brand make her an ideal choice for the editor role at Cosmo,” said Carey.

“Kate is a huge talent who not only maintained Cosmo’s leadership position over the past 14 years but also launched many brand extensions, including Cosmo Radio, bestselling books and a popular tablet edition,” added Carey. “She leaves big shoesor should I say stilettos to fill, and we have no doubt she’ll continue to reach bestseller status in her post-Cosmo career.”

During her tenure, Coles, 50, helped reinvent the U.S. edition of Marie Claire into the successful brand it is today. The September 2012 issue of Marie Claire was the largest in the magazine’s history in terms of advertising pages and, under Coles, the brand launched two successful extensions, Marie Claire @Work, and the Women on Top Awards. In 2011, Coles was named Adweek’s Editor of the Year and Marie Claire was named to the Adweek Hot List. Under her editorship the magazine has won numerous awards for its journalism.

In 2008, Coles produced Running In Heels, a reality show about the magazine, set in the offices of Marie Claire, which aired on Style Network and was syndicated to 16 countries. In addition, she hired Nina Garcia as fashion director of Marie Claire and the magazine became part of Lifetime's Emmy-winning show Project Runway. In 2012, Coles served as the on-air mentor on the spinoff series Project Runway All Stars.

Cosmopolitan is an iconic brand that resonates with women worldwide,” says Coles. “To be able to take over the flagship edition is both a huge challenge and an incredible opportunity. I relish the chance to put my stamp on Cosmo and make it the young woman’s ultimate playbook for confidence, choices and navigating change.”

Prior to Marie Claire, she was executive editor of More (September 2004 to April 2006) and articles editor of New York Magazine (September 2001 to August 2004.)

Coles arrived in the U.S. in June 1997 as The Guardian's New York bureau chief, traveling widely across America to cover news and current events. In July 1998, she became the New York columnist for The Times of London and was a frequent contributor to the BBC. In addition she has been a regular contributor on cultural and social affairs for ABC, CNN and MSNBC.

Previously, she was on staff at The Guardian, andfounded and presented a media show for the BBC. From 1987 to 1989 she was a reporter for The Daily Telegraph. She started her career at The (UK) Spectator magazine in 1984.
Coles graduated from the University of East Anglia in the U.K. with a B.A. (Hons) in English and American literature. She is a founding member of the American Friends of the Royal Court Theater.

She is the co-author of the Three of Us, a book about moving to New York with her husband, the author and screenwriter, Peter Godwin. The couple lives in Manhattan with their two sons.

hearst.com

Last edited by Miss Dalloway; 04-09-2012 at 12:58 PM.

04-09-2012
fashion icon

I wonder is this good news. But I doubt Cosmo is going to revamp.

04-09-2012
V.I.P.

I hope Garcia does get it personally. I do believe she has a really great eye for what she does. She may be very commercial, but then MC is a very commercial magazine. It would make sense to me.

04-09-2012
you soft and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srdjan View Post
I wonder is this good news. But I doubt Cosmo is going to revamp.
They probably won't do a dramatic full-revamp, but I can see the cover design and article quality/content changing quite a bit.

05-09-2012
trendsetter

From today's Fashionista blog:
Marie Claire Names New Editor in Chief

By Tyler McCall Tuesday, Sep 4, 2012 / 2:47 PM Photo: Getty

Well, that was fast.
Just hours after announcing that current EIC Joanna Coles would be moving to Cosmopolitan, Marie Claire has named her replacement.
Anne Fulenwider, who has been editor-in-chief of Brides since October 2011, will take the reins at Marie Claire. This is not the first time Fulenwider has worked with the Marie Claire team; prior to her role as EIC of Brides, Fulenwider worked for two years under Coles as executive editor of the mag.
Fulenwider says she is “thrilled” to be returning to Marie Claire, stating in a release: “I have such a strong attachment to the brand and what it delivers to the savvy, stylish women who read it. I look forward to contributing to its continued success on every front—from print to digital to television.”
No word yet if Fulenwider will also be as involved in the reality TV projects associated with Marie Claire as Coles was, but we look forward to seeing what direction the mag takes under her control. And now that there’s a position open at Brides, we expect more editorial announcements in the near future. Stand by…

13-09-2012
front row

Quote:
ELLE appoints new Creative Director

Suzanne Sykes has been named new Creative Director at Hearst Magazine's monthly ELLE. The award-winning Creative Director joins from Marie Claire US and replaces Marissa Bourke who's joining Harper's Bazaar in the same role this month (rep'd August 22). Suzanne's start date is tba.
Source: Fashion Monitor: http://www.fashionmonitor.com/News/5...ative-Director

So then I guess that means ELLE's artistic direction is potentially going to be interesting, both good and bad... Marie Claire US' layouts are fairly high standard, but the covers are always so text ridden...

13-09-2012
you soft and only

^ Marie Claire has significantly less text on their covers than Elle does though I'm interested in seeing what's going to happen.

14-09-2012
fashion icon

http://www.wwd.com/media-news/digita...14c626c5c99691
Quote:
Style.com is heading to the Middle East.

The site has entered into its first licensing agreement with Nervora to launch Style.com Arabia, based in Dubai. The new site marks the first Condé Nast Publications Inc. fashion/beauty title to have a presence in both the Middle East and North America. It’s also the first time Style.com will deliver content in another language, Arabic.

“For more than a decade, Style.com has established itself as the unequivocal leader and innovator in digital fashion coverage,” said Gina Sanders, president and chief executive officer of Fairchild Fashion Media. “Through this partnership with Nervora, we are able to deepen our presence in this flourishing fashion market as well as expand our ever-growing global reach.”

Style.com Arabia will launch in October, in both Arabic and English. The site will have a mix of original news content as well as draw from its well of curated coverage of runway shows, trend reporting and street style photography.

Shashi Menon, chief executive officer of Nervora, said Style.com Arabia comes at an ideal time, as the Middle East has a large audience of passionate and fashion-forward readers and a rapidly growing industry of regional designers.

“We aim to foster this fashion community, enhance the understanding of fashion and women in the region and further add to the dynamic and evolving Arabic media ecosystem,” said Menon.

An editor in chief has not been named for the site yet. It will launch with the URL http://Arabia.Style.com.
Judging from social media, the blogger behind http://myfashdiary.com/ is fashion editor.

Last edited by Cicciolina; 14-09-2012 at 09:55 AM.

18-09-2012
Ère de ℳodernité

CONFIRMED: French Vanity Fair on its way - set to launch before summer 2013.
According to Xavier de Romatet (CEO of Conde Nast France), the magazine will be published monthly and should be around 250-pages long. He admitted that trying to adapt VF to the French market was quite a challenge since French people's relationship with culture and money is very different compared to the Americans'. Romatet added that 80% of the content will be exclusive.
Michel Denisot will be the magazine's managing editor, and Anne Boulay (actual EIC of the French version of GQ) will be its editor-in-chief. She will be surrounded by a team of 20 people.
The magazine will cost between 4 and 5€ and will be launched before summer 2013.

Source (in French): http://tempsreel.nouvelobs.com/media...e-en-2013.html

18-09-2012
front row

Condé Nast Plans French Vanity Fair
By CHRISTINE HAUGHNEY

Quote:
Vanity Fair magazine, which has been battling declining newsstand sales in the United States, is looking for more readers in Europe. Next year, Condé Nast is starting a monthly edition of Vanity Fair in France. The magazine will share the name of the American publication, but nearly 90 percent of the content will be original.

“When I sit down with the owner of a fashion house or someone in the French cultural life, the first thing they say to me is ‘When are you going to start Vanity Fair?’ ” said Jonathan Newhouse, chairman and chief executive of Condé Nast International.

Over the last 18 months, Condé Nast editors created samples of the new magazine and showed them to focus groups in France. Anne Boulay, the magazine’s new editor in chief, who had been editing French GQ, also a Condé Nast publication, said that women in those groups said they liked “this combination of hard news and glamour.” She said the women felt “they were taken seriously and not just stupid women buying Manolo boots and makeup.”

Other prominent hires have been made for the French magazine. The journalist and television personality Michel Denisot, whom Mr. Newhouse called a French mix of Barbara Walters and Mike Wallace, will be the editorial director. Condé Nast also hired Le Figaro’s fashion editor, Virginie Mouzat, to run the fashion and lifestyle coverage and Hervé Gattegno from Le Point to oversee investigative coverage. Condé Nast has already hired half of the 25-person team that will run the magazine.

Vanity Fair has long been expanding its brand into other countries as it has faced flat circulation and a tough advertising market in the United States. While total advertising revenue for the United States edition rose by 5.9 percent in the second quarter of 2012 from a year earlier, the number of advertising pages declined by 1 percent.

Mr. Newhouse emphasized that Vanity Fair in France was a “completely different different business proposition.” He added that Graydon Carter, the editor of Vanity Fair in the United States, would not be actively involved with the French magazine.

“That is one of the biggest challenges we have, how to have the French touch,” said Xavier Romatet, president and chief executive of Condé Nast France. “We need to have the French point of view. We need to be much more close to the French culture, the French people, the French way of life.”

For example, Mr. Romatet and Ms. Boulay said that it was unlikely that French Vanity Fair would feature the former Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge, on the cover as Vanity Fair did on its September 2012 issue in the United States. “We have a very different relationship with royalty,” Ms. Boulay said. “We cut off our queens’ and kings’ heads.”
source: nytimes

18-09-2012
Ère de ℳodernité

^Virginie Mouzat ?! ?! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSS!!!!!!

ETA: Funny how the numbers changed between the NYT article and the one from Le Nouvel Observateur. 25 people vs 20 in LNObs, and 90% of original content vs 80% for LNObs

Last edited by Thefrenchy; 18-09-2012 at 09:20 AM.

18-09-2012
Ère de ℳodernité

More details...

Quote:
Condé Nast France Chairman Xavier Romatet confirmed the French launch of Vanity Fair this morning, set for 2013. Seasoned journalist Michel Denisot will head the editorial team with Anne Boulay, previously of GQ, as editor-in-chief.

A savvy mix of excellent reporting and entertainment, with the undeniable glamour of a glossy magazine, VANITY FAIR represents the introduction of a magazine concept to France that has long proved its worth in the United States. The move is especially important at a time of economic morosity and an increasingly uncertain relationship between the French public and the press: "With VANITY FAIR, we are aiming to bring back a certain prestige to the magazine market in France. By igniting a burning desire to investigate, pleasure in writing, and pride in publishing in our journalists; enabling readers to enjoy informing themselves, providing them with exciting, thorough, contextualized stories, VANITY FAIR is re-appropriating time and making it an ally as we offer the public new hooks to help them understand the complex, moving, instantaneous, times we are living through," declares Xavier Romatet, Chairman of Les Publications Condé Nast, France. French journalist Michel Denisot will lead the Vanity Fair editorial team, bringing with him a huge wealth of experience, fair analysis, high standards and an in-depth knowledge of the areas the magazine is set to explore.

"It's a huge honor for me to head this legendary magazine, I'm looking forward to taking this next step with enthusiasm and humility," says Michel Denisot. Anne Boulay will be behind the editor-in-chief's desk, with over 10 years' experience at Condé Nast and success with GQ since it launched in France, plus the magazine expertise and deep knowledge of high-end press required to make a new title work. "VANITY FAIR is legendary in the States. It's the only magazine able to successfully mix entertainment with in-depth reporting of unrivalled quality, and we are aiming to offer a French version with the same strong identity," she explains. "We're are interested in stories that directly impact the French public, without ignoring some of the major investigative work published in the US VANITY FAIR." An editorial team has already been put together, and "the journalists who are joining us are probably the best at what they do around today," continues Anne Boulay. Virginie Mouzat will take on the luxury & lifestyle editorship, Hervé Gattegno is investigating editor. Olivier Bouchara has been named head of reporting, Anne-Laure Sugier, culture editor, Sibylle Grandchamp fashion editor, and Francesca Colin has signed up as publisher. Anne Boulay will be replaced at GQ by Emmanuel Poncet, her deputy since the magazine launched. "Emmanuel Poncet knows the magazine inside-out, wand what has made it such a success over the past five years, with more than 100,000 readers a month," concludes Xavier Romatet.
- VOGUE.FR

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, 2010, 2013, august, business, magazines, march