How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

01-07-2010
V.I.P.

#104 The journalist made a mistake,Liu Wen was first discovered by the people from Marie Claire.

02-07-2010
front row

Quote:
OVER AT GLAMOUR…: T isn’t the only mag with a top fashion slot to fill. Glamour is on the hunt for a successor to longtime fashion director Xanthipi Joannides, who departed last month. And the magazine is apparently casting a very wide net — Marie Claire’s Nina Garcia and Kate Lanphear of Elle are among those said to have met with editor in chief Cindi Leive and co. about the position (though the discussions with Garcia ended shortly after they began, according to sources). A spokeswoman for Glamour said a decision had not yet been made.
wwd.com

02-07-2010
trendsetter

Anne Christensen Leaves T

Quote:
ON TO NEW PASTURES: Weeks after losing her bid for the top job at T: The New York Times Style Magazine to Sally Singer, Anne Christensen has resigned from her post as women’s fashion director of the Times’ style glossy. And she’s landed on her feet. In an e-mail to WWD sent during a break from styling a Vogue China shoot, Christensen said, “I’ve had a great 10 years at the Times and T magazines under 2 creative and smart editors: Amy Spindler and Stefano Tonchi. I’m very proud of the work I’ve done there and particularly proud of the upcoming Fall women’s T that I worked very hard on. Now I’m happy to move on to other adventures. I wish Sally Singer the best of luck. She has inherited a wonderful group of people at T.” As to whether those adventures will include finding a position at another magazine or focusing on her freelance styling career — which she was able to maintain while at T since she wasn’t a full-time employee — Christensen said she was keeping her options open. “I do want to explore other magazine possibilities. I like having magazine as a base — for a stylist, it gives you a real voice, and that’s important. And I have a great freelance career that I will continue, as well,” she said.

Meanwhile, with regard to Christensen’s replacement at T, a spokeswoman for the Times said there were “no personnel announcements to make at this time.” Yet rumors are swirling that Singer will be bringing a Voguette (or two) with her when she assumes control of the title next week. According to insiders, T’s new editor in chief wants to bring in a freelance fashion director-stylist and a strong full-time market director, which is likely why Meredith Melling Burke, Vogue’s oft-photographed senior market editor, is one of the names being tossed around in media circles as a possible Singer recruit.

— Nick Axelrod
wwd

08-07-2010
Mr. Magic

Quote:
(PARIS) Massive staff changes, the imminent release of the September issue, and that oh-so-salacious rumor that Anna Dello Russo may be decamping stateside to take the fashion director title at the glossy…who can even keep up with all the news out of Stefano Tonchi's W? The Daily caught up with the editeur after Valentino couture to get the scoop.
VALENTINE UHOVSKI

Does it feel different to cover the shows for W?
It's so different from the days at The Times. We used to do couture, and then all of the [RTW] shows, of course. Sure, I have a new group of people around me. I’m very excited to have them with me for this.

Is it challenging to close the September issue in New York while your senior staff is in Paris?
Well, I mean, this week is a little bit of a dead week in New York anyway, with people taking time off Friday, then Monday...so it makes sense to take these one or two days and not work in New York, but here in Paris. I have plenty of appointments.

Do you have a core group of photographers in place?
Yes, September will be a new place for the magazine, and we’ll have a sort of dark group of photographers. Alex White shot many stories. We have Craig McDean, Mert and Marcus on board, and we’re using some new photographers for us, like Tim Walker, with more joining soon.

A few rumors to address: We’ve been hearing that W will be going bi-monthly as of September. Any truth to that?
Never heard that! I mean, personally, I never, never heard that. And beyond that I pretty much have the next 12 issues scheduled. There’s more than one cover in place.

Alex [White] has worked with you extensively on September. What about Anna Dello Russo?
I love Anna, but she has a great job at Japanese Vogue that she quite likes and I don’t have any idea to actually move her to New York. She’s a good friend, but I didn’t really even have a conversation with her about this seriously. She’s a fashion director, but she’s not necessarily the one that’s doing shoots and maybe that’s what I’m looking for. Alex is doing that, and that’s what we need at W.

Are you satisfied with how things are going so far?
Yes, it’s been great so far, with very strong support from the company and the industry. Especially with The Daily. You’ve always been the first to know and ones to wish me the best. And now I'll have to focus on a year's worth of great issues.
dailyfrontrow.com

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

08-07-2010
The future is stupid

^I'm beyond happy that Alex is staying. Really, really looking forward to the September issue.

09-07-2010
don't look down

New York Magazine wonders (nymag.com):

Quote:
3-D Fashion Spreads: Outta This World, or One-Trick Ponies?

This was a long time coming. Last year, both Archetype and Dazed and Confused magazines toyed with the public's 3-D obsession, popping out punchy multidimensional fashion spreads and experimenting with eyeball-twisting covers. Shortly thereafter, Mexican Vogue and Chinese Harper's Bazaar also hitched rides on the 3-D bandwagon, proving to everyone within gawking distance that swimsuit models look even hotter when they're come-hithering two inches from your face (a trick that, unfortunately, didn't translate very well online). And now, every editorial image, plus twenty advertisements, in this week's issue of Time Out New York, which hit newsstands yesterday, is full-on three-dimensional — including a playful shopping story on the galaxy-print trend.

All of which raises the question: Is 3-D (as well as other interactive novelties like V magazine's new scratch-off cover) the future of fashion, or just a cheap gimmick employed by print outlets desperate to capitalize on their medium's hold-it-in-your-hands tangibility? More importantly, when are we going to see a hyper-meta, three-dimensional spread of Karlie Kloss and the Kaiser live-tweeting while luxuriating in a bathtub filled with Veuve Clicquot, each wearing gold-rimmed, chain-embellished 3-D glasses we can Text2Buy with a snap of our camera phone?

09-07-2010
don't look down

Can't imagine it's really closing - if the problem's with the publisher, then switch to someone else for the future. But if it wasn't selling well, this is certainly a way to shut it down without giving the impression it was in trouble (dailymail.co.uk):

Quote:
Playboy cancels Portuguese edition after it features Jesus Christ among topless models

Playboy magazine is to pull the plug on its Portuguese edition after it ran a photo shoot featuring Jesus Christ among topless models.

The spread was ostensibly a tribute to Nobel Prize-winning author Jose Saramago’s The Gospel According to Jesus Christ, but Hugh Hefner’s headquarters have reacted with outrage.

The pictures show a long-haired, glowing Jesus watching two models in a lesbian clinch, standing next to a prostitute and looking over the shoulder of a woman reading a book.

A final, heavily tattooed woman, appears to have died in his arms.

Theresa Hennessy, Playboy Enterprises vice president of public relations told the Mail Online: ‘We did not see or approve the cover and pictorial in the July issue of Playboy Portugal.

‘It is a shocking breach of our standards and we would have not allowed it to be published if we had seen it in advance.

‘We are in the process of terminating our agreement with the Portuguese publisher.'

Saramago’s novel is a fictional re-telling of Christ’s life, depicting him as a flawed, human character.

It generated controversy among the Roman Catholic Church, who accused Saramago of depicting a ‘substantially anti-religious vision.’

However, other critics have praised it as a ‘deeply philosophical, provocative and compelling work.’

11-07-2010
V.I.P.

Now I'm really excited for the September issue of W. Guess I didn't need to be worried about the change over after all.

13-07-2010
Mr. Magic

Quote:
(NEW YORK) Surely you didn't think Anne Christensen would remain a free agent for long? It appears that the former T trouper has been tapped as the new fashion director at women's service bible Glamour, replacing Xanthipi Joannides, who retired from full-time mag duty in June after three decades of service at Condé Nast. Glamour did not respond to The Daily's request for comment.

According to reports, Glamour EIC Cindi Leive cast a very wide net to fill this position, interviewing everyone from Nina Garcia to Elle's Kate Lanphear. But according to rumors, the Garcia idea was not a "good fit," and that Marie Claire contract is still firmly in place. Christensen’s serendipitous resignation fromthe New York Times was well-timed with Leive’s quest to find a candidate with sufficient fashion cred and a willingness to shoot on a variety of body types (i.e., not just Abbey Lees and Natasha Polys.) And another bonus: Christensen knows how to charm those advertisers and marvel at the workmanship of mass-market merch. Surely she's ready for a salary upgrade?
So come August, Christensen will find herself ensconced in a glassy office at 4 Times Square not entirely unlike the one vacated by Sally Singer, who snatched up the T EIC gig that Christensen so ardently petitioned for. And indulge us for a moment: In Paris, the only Glamour editor allowed to hole up at the Ritz is Leive. During her tenure at the Times, Christensen was a loyalist of the place. Surely she won't be forced to endure Le Meurice?
dailyfrontrow.com

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

19-07-2010
front row

Quote:
UP, UP, UP — AT LAST: Coming off horrendous figures a year ago, the September issues of all the major titles — Vogue, Elle, Harper’s Bazaar, Glamour, InStyle, Marie Claire and W — are on the climb again. Vogue leads the way, with 532 ad pages, an almost 25 percent increase from the September 2009 issue. “The endemic categories were very strong for us,” said vice president and publisher Susan Plagemann. “And we’re feeling good about the rest of the year.” InStyle is reporting 403 ad pages, up 16 percent over last year. A spokeswoman said this issue marks the first time since 2000 that InStyle’s September ad performance has exceeded 400 pages. Elle’s pages are up 18 percent to 382 and Harper’s Bazaar posted a 12 percent rise in paging, to 302 pages. W isn’t far behind, up 31 percent to 252 pages. Glamour wins for posting the largest gain during the period, up almost 58 percent to 241 pages, and Marie Claire’s September issue is up 10 percent, to 156. Don’t pop the Champagne just yet, though, given the slowing economic recovery. — Amy Wicks
wwd.com

20-07-2010
backstage pass

They still haven't posted the list of each magazine's best performing covers?

20-07-2010
Mr. Magic

How the Fashion Magazine Industry Plans to Profit from Digital This Fall

http://mashable.com/2010/07/20/fashi...-digital-fall/

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

23-07-2010
don't look down

The Wall Street Journal reports on the changes afoot at Conde Nast:

Quote:
Condé Nast Names New President

Magazine publisher Condé Nast on Friday promoted three senior executives to new roles, cementing the management bench under Chief Executive Chuck Townsend.

The move comes after several in-house candidates to succeed Mr. Townsend left the company this year, and people familiar with the company said it sets up an eventual CEO successor: Robert Sauerberg, who was named as president. Mr. Sauerberg, who was previously group preident for consumer marketing, is a well-regarded executive who is seen by industry veterans as ripe for a top job at a magazine company.

Mr. Townsend has been both CEO and president. Condé Nast, which publishes Vogue, Glamour and Vanity Fair magazines, said Mr. Sauerberg's main duty will be to help Condé Nast diversify its revenue away from advertising and into new ways of making money from digital and other products.

According to people familiar with the matter, Mr. Sauerberg has been a point man for Condé Nast's strategy for new technologies such as Apple Inc.'s iPad. Mr. Sauerberg also has been instrumental in making Conde Nast more sophisticated about pricing and consumer data for magazine subscriptions, these people said.

Condé Nast, which publishes Vogue, Glamour and Vanity Fair magazines, named Robert Sauerberg as company president. His current post is group president for consumer marketing.

In other changes, Louis Cona, executive vice president for Condé Nast's corporate advertising sales, will become the company's chief marketing officer. Condé Nast Chief Operating Officer John Bellando will add the role of chief financial officer, the New York company said in a statement.

The moves were announced as magazine advertising is rebounding this year after a two-year downturn, easing pressure on publishers that had been forced to cut payrolls and perks and close magazines. Condé Nast last year stopped publishing several magazines including food publication Gourmet and business magazine Portfolio.

In June, David Carey, who oversaw a group of magazines including Wired and Golf Digest, left for rival magazine publisher Hearst Corp., and longtime Vogue publisher Tom Florio resigned to explore opportunities to head his own company. In January, Richard Beckman, who for years led advertising sales across Condé Nast's magazines, took a post running the company that owns the Hollywood Reporter, Billboard and other trade publications.

24-07-2010
Mr. Magic

Quote:
(NEW YORK)
Kristin Perrotta
, formerly editorial projects director at Allure, has been promoted to executive editor.

Jillian Mackenzie, formerly deputy editor at Allure, has been promoted to deputy editor/features director.

Amy Keller Laird, formerly beauty director at Allure, has been promoted to deputy editor/beauty director.

Ali Tyrangel, formerly account director at HL Group, has been named public relations director at Iconix Brand Group.

Catherine Pope, formerly of AAM, has been named senior account managerat Linda Gaunt Communications.

Joel Tirinanzi has been named vice president of merchandising and production at Victorinox Swiss Army USA.

Kristin DiCunzolo has been named vice president of marketing and communications for apparel and retail at Victorinox Swiss Army USA.

Jenna Ebbink has been named senior account executive, fashion & beauty at The Patton Group.

Leigh Aidner, formerly account executive at Siren PR, has been named account manager at Exposure USA.

Juliette Schwab, formerly account coordinator at HL Group, has been named junior account executive in the accessories division at Wetherly Fashion Group.

Bryan Morello, formerly of HL Group, has been named account coordinator in the accessories division at Wetherly Fashion Group.

Emily Andrews, formerly account executive at C&M Media, has left the company.

Emily Oliff, formerly of Dark PR, has left the company.

Katie Garrabrant, formerly manager, public relations and special events for Women's RTW at Saks Fifth Avenue, has left the company.

Kelly Vitko, formerly public relations manager at VBH Luxury, has left the company.

Stephanie Gerard, formerly of Bliss Spa, has left the company.

Fournier Communications announces its representation of Immunocologie.

Haute House PR announces its representation of Tryst Jewelry.

J Public Relations announces its representation of Rancho Bernardo Inn, Surf & Sand Resort, Fairmont Hotels and Resorts, Brooklyn Winery, Brockton Villa and Beaumont’s.

Mariposa Communications announces its representation of Nicola Yoon Design.

ODA PR announces its representation of Isabella Fiore.

Shout Social announces its representation of DLC Brooklyn.

Siren PR announces its representation of Modern Vintage shoes.

Succarra announces its representation of Jasmine Pennamma.
dailyfrontrow.com

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

26-07-2010
Mr. Magic

Quote:
Magazine Ad Outlook Cloudy for ’10

Ask fashion magazine publishers about the outlook for the rest of the year and they all use exactly the same two anodyne words to disguise their fear: “cautiously optimistic.”

With the stock market all over the place and even the chairman of the Federal Reserve Board, Ben Bernanke, warning the economic recovery isn’t all that great, their concern is understandable — especially after a 2009 that saw magazines hemorrhaging ad pages faster than BP’s gusher in the Gulf. And even though year-to-date and September ad-page numbers generally show healthy increases, the figures remain well below 2008 levels (let’s not even talk about those halcyon days of 2007; it’s like discussing the California Gold Rush).

“People are feeling better, some more than others,” said Vogue’s vice president and publisher Susan Plagemann, who was one of those using the “cautiously optimistic” cliché. For the September issue, she’s not in the ballpark of the biggest one ever (727 pages, in 2007) but the title easily posted the most total ad pages in the category for the month, with 532 (it continues to trail InStyle in total pages so far this year). Plagemann said American fashion brands came back strong, and noted increases from European fashion firms, as well.

At Time Inc. rival InStyle, publisher Connie Anne Phillips said the luxury category is back in a big way. “We have a momentum here that is carrying into the [September] issue,” she said, noting that Saks Fifth Avenue, Bulgari, Ferragamo and Marc Jacobs are new for the month. They helped propel the title to more than 400 ad pages for the issue for the first time in a decade. Meanwhile, even as there continues to be speculation that Lagardère might unload Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S. (publisher of Elle) in some form of joint venture with Hearst Magazines, new chief brand officer Robin Domeniconi is busy bringing in ad pages at Elle, and she said the October issue will be up around 30 percent.

Publishers, being perennial salesman, are paid to be optimistic. They aren’t the only ones, though. ZenithOptimedia this week upgraded its forecast for global ad expenditures this year, to growth of 3.5 percent from a previous forecast of 2.2 percent. This is the third upgrade in a row, following six consecutive downgrades. Zenith reports that magazines will account for 9.8 percent of the total ad spend this year and decrease to 8.8 percent by 2012, while online advertising continues its strong upward spiral, from 13.9 percent of total spending this year to 17.1 percent in two years. Given that’s the new mother lode, publishers are rushing to tap into it.

Condé Nast senior vice president and publishing director Bill Wackermann said Glamour’s significant uptick in advertising in September (up 88 pages) was aided by the launch of its iPad digital strategy. “We sold nine spots and we were only supposed to sell eight,” he said of the iPad, adding that advertising from nonendemic categories, such as financial and technology, also helped the overall cause. Wackermann also noted that incremental growth in the magazine’s bread-and-butter categories was crucial and, looking ahead, he said October looks “solid,” and early indicators are good for November and December.

Lou Cona, executive vice president of the Condé Nast Media Group, said the company is up 30 percent in digital for the first half and up 7.2 percent in print, excluding The New Yorker and Golf World. “We are breaking six campaigns in September issues that we did ourselves [in-house],” said Cona, declining to name the brands.

Just like at retail, though, it’s hard to wean consumers (here, advertisers) off the discount mania seen in late 2008 and last year. While titles like Elle and Harper’s Bazaar have long been rumored to offer significant rate-card cuts to drive ad pages, there are rumblings this time around among competitors and advertisers that Vogue and Glamour offered sizeable discounts this season as well, upward of 30 percent in some cases, and cut deals when it came to the digital side of the business. But Wackermann — who now oversees Glamour, W, Details and Brides — denied these claims, noting it’s not the case and has never been the case at parent Condé Nast.

While most titles reported ad gains for the month, a few — Lucky, Shape and Details — weren’t so fortunate, making the last quarter all that more important. Lucky’s vice president and publisher, Michelle Myers, told WWD that some advertisers moved their business to August and October, which accounted for the 11 percent decline in paging. “We have 13 new advertisers for September,” she said, adding August was up 8 percent, October is looking strong and the December issue will mark the magazine’s 10th anniversary (a sign that advertising for that month will probably be stronger than usual). Details is down 23 percent, and Wackermann acknowledged that while the title didn’t “rock” the month, October is up 20 pages and the magazine is positioned to have a strong finish for the year.

Then there are W and Town & Country, which have new editors in Stefano Tonchi and Stephen Drucker, respectively. The hires have aroused curiosity and driven positive ad gains. W, perhaps hit the hardest by the downturn in luxury, is up 31 percent for the month, and Hearst’s T&C is reporting an increase of almost 28 percent. Jim Taylor, vice president and publisher at Town & Country, said the September issue has more returning advertisers than new ones. He didn’t provide any names but, like virtually every other title, said fashion paging is up.

“The first advertisers to increase their ad budgets and return to their regular list of magazines were the bigger brands,” said Taylor, noting that September is the first month that fashion, accessories, jewelry and watches introduce their fall collections. He said the luxury business has improved and conspicuous luxury spending is no longer seen as somewhat insensitive. “The wealthy gained a lot of wealth back from when the Dow shrank to 6,500,” Taylor noted. “It is now regularly above 10,000, which really helps luxury sales, because the top 10 percent of the wealthiest Americans own 85 percent of all stock-market wealth.”

wwd.com

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, 2010, 2013, august, business, magazines, march