How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-01-2014
don't look down

I've just noticed an ad at the back of UK Glamour that proclaims their March 2014 issue will be available in a 'mega size'. Now, whether that merely means 'same size as a normal mag', it doesn't say, but it'll be out in both usual and this one-off large format on February 3.

27-01-2014
tfs star

facebook.com/glamourmaguk

V.I.P.

Quote:
Town & Country Crossing the Pond with UK Edition
The Hearst Magazines UK edition will launch with a print run of 60,000.

Hearst Magazines UK announced it is adding Town & Country to its growing portfolio of U.S.-exported luxury brands. An introductory June issue will be rolled out in May 2014, and will have a bi-annual frequency starting with 60,000 print copies.

The British Town & Country will be developed and produced by the UK's Harper's Bazaar team, lead by editor-in-chief Justine Picardie.

Similar to the American edition, British Town & Country will cover high society lifestyle and culture. Likewise, the UK-adapted brand will leverage luxury advertisers. (It's worth noting that last year the American edition grew ad pages by just shy of 20 percent when compared to 2012, accorind to sister publication min.)

Hearst is poised to capitalize on luxury advertisers in the UK. In addition to Harpers Bazaar, the luxury portfolio also includes Esquire, ELLE, ELLE Decoration and Red. And Publisher Meribeth Parker indicates that adapting Town & Country for a UK market will further increase its scale and reach to an affluent audience.
foliomag.com

As much as I've grown to love the current Harper's Bazaar. I think Picardie seems more suited to a magazine like Town & Country. Most of the pages inside Bazaar are like Town & Country these days. I think she'll do a fantastic job!

backstage pass

Town and Country is a perfect fit for the UK with their endless supply of aristocratic families and stately country homes to fill its pages.

28-01-2014
V.I.P.

Quote:
Vogue Leads March Ad Page Race InStyle, Harper's Bazaar, Marie Claire set records

Many fashion magazines are once again reporting record gains for their March issues, which are second in importance only behind September.

Fashion magazines are the exception to an overall tepid print magazine market, which has seen advertising trending down as marketers shift spending to digital media. For all of 2013, print ad pages declined 4.1 percent from 2012, per Publishers Information Bureau, a service of MPA—the Association of Magazine Media. Yet print is still an important medium for apparel, beauty and luxury advertising, however, which is the bread and butter of fashion magazines.

Vogue, as usual, led the category in terms of total ad pages, with 470, a 3 percent increase over last year's March. Anna Wintour has been doing double duty as editor in chief as well as artistic director of Condé Nast for the past year, and while the magazine ceded ground to Time Inc.'s InStyle last year, Vogue doesn't seem any worse for it now; this was the title's fifth March increase in a row. “The growth continues to come from our core categories—everything from fashion in all countries…beauty and technology,” vp, publisher Susan Plagemann said.

Second to Vogue in terms of total ad pages was InStyle. InStyle didn't skip a beat, despite a publisher change last year. This was Karin Tracy’s first March issue, and it was the largest in InStyle’s 20-year history, with 367 ad pages, up 2 percent.

This is also InStyle’s biggest first quarter in six years, with 574 ad pages altogether. Helping the title’s performance was its anniversary year, which it will recognize with a digital hub launching in February, as well as luxury advertising, Tracy said.

"I think the halo of it is terrific,” she said of the milestone.

Fashion and luxury were also strong categories for Hearst Magazines, which touted its biggest March issues for Harper’s Bazaar and Marie Claire, as well as Elle’s biggest since 2008. Elle was Hearst’s heavyweight, with 342 pages, up 3.3 percent, with new business wins from Givenchy, Louis Vuitton, Dior and others. Bazaar was close behind with 334 pages, up 1.3 percent, with Tag Heuer, Neiman Marcus and Roberto Cavalli among new accounts. Marie Claire notched 209 pages. Cosmopolitan, which has put a strong focus on fashion under new editor Joanna Coles, was essentially flat with last year, at 144 pages.

In other major gains, Condé Nast's W posted its biggest March since 2008, with ad pages up 10 percent to 230. Among the core categories, fashion and beauty advertising were up 6 percent and 59 percent, respectively. Glamour, which poached InStyle’s highly regarded publisher Connie Anne Phillips last year, is starting to rebound under its new leadership and recent hires on the business side. March ad pages were up 8.2 percent to 170 against a robust first quarter, which was up 12 percent overall.

In other titles significant for their fashion pages:

—Vanity Fair carried 264 ad pages in March, an increase of 1 percent.

—GQ added 5 percent, for a total of 144 (including its "What to Wear Now" special issue.)

—Allure was up 10 percent, to 135 ad pages.

—Teen Vogue’s March was down 22.3 percent to 97 versus last year, when it benefitted from its 10th anniversary.

—Lucky was down 14 percent to 88 in March. Lucky has been in transition with last year’s appointment of Eva Chen as editor and a Wintour-guided redesign. Lucky svp and general manager Gillian Gorman Round said the book is still working on getting global fashion advertisers to consider the magazine, while mass beauty advertisers have cut back. She said Lucky also was hurt by its on-sale date coming two weeks before the competitive set and that going forward, the on-sale date will be in line with the rest of the set.
adweek.com

Last edited by Melancholybaby; 28-01-2014 at 07:09 AM.
28-01-2014
V.I.P.

^ Thank you for posting, nice to see so many of them doing great for March issues.

29-01-2014
V.I.P.

^^ interesting reading, thanks Melancholybaby

Hell on Heels

:(
Quote:
Cathy Horyn Resigns
By ALEXANDRA STEIGRAD

Cathy Horyn, the longtime fashion critic of The New York Times, has resigned, WWD has learned.

The Times was expected to reveal her resignation today. A Times spokeswoman confirmed her resignation.

Horyn is understood to want to spend more time traveling. Her resignation comes amidst major changes at the Styles section of The Times, which also saw the departure of Eric Wilson to In Style and the additions of John Koblin and Matthew Scheier as reporters.
wwd.com

31-01-2014
_____

Quote:

Cathy Horyn is leaving the paper “to spend more time with her partner, Art Ortenberg, who has had health problems,” Executive Editor Jill Abramson and Styles Editor Stuart Emmrich tell staffers in a memo.

It is with both deep sadness over her departure and immense gratitude for the legacy she leaves behind that we announce that Cathy Horyn, the paper’s chief fashion critic since 1999, is leaving The Times. Cathy’s reasons for leaving are personal ones, to spend more with her partner, Art Ortenberg, who has had health problems, and whom she feels would benefit greatly from her increased presence at home.

How do we measure the impact that Cathy has made at The Times? Is it in the 1,123 bylined pieces she has written in the past 15 years? The promising designers she discovered, the unoriginal ones she dismissed, the talents that she celebrated in ways that illuminated their creative process for a readership that ranged from the executive offices of LVMH to the bargain shoppers at Barneys Warehouse? We do so in all of those ways to mark the work of a woman who is the preeminent fashion critic of her generation and who has set an almost impossible standard for those who may follow.

Cathy’s is a unique voice in the fashion world, one that was immediately announced by one of her very first reviews in The Times, of the couture shows in Paris in January, 1999. Here is how she led off that piece:

Just about everyone who comes to the haute couture collections knows that Nan is Nan Kempner, that Deeda is Deeda Blair and that Liliane Bettencourt, who was seated Wednesday in the front row at the Yves Saint Laurent show and wearing an orange muffler, is the richest woman in France. They may or may not know that the youngest couture customer at Givenchy is all of 8, or that Dodie Rosekrans, the San Francisco art patron and couture stalwart, recently bought a full-size guillotine covered with the Chanel logo for her home in Venice. But give them time. Paris is probably the only place on earth where the world’s rich, titled and tucked can always count on being connected, if only through clothes.

How can you not be immediately hooked? Times readers were, and have continued to be for the past 15 years. But Cathy was more than just a fashion critic. She was also a superb reporter, one who used fashion as her lens to look into broader cultural themes, most recently in her riveting A1 piece on Jackie Kennedy’s iconic pink suit, worn the day her husband was assassinated in Dallas and today shielded from public view, along with her blood-stained stockings, in a climate-controlled vault on the outskirts of Washington.

Cathy will be sorely missed by all of us in Styles and by the paper as a whole. But she is not leaving us completely: She will continue to work on a project that is dear to her heart: A book to be published by Rizzoli that chronicles how The New York Times has covered fashion from the 1850s to the first decades of the 21st century. No doubt it will be a great read.

Fondly,
Jill and Stuart
poynter.org

31-01-2014
tfs star

Oh no! Who on earth will I read now?

backstage pass

I would love to see Cathy end up at W. I think it would be an excellent fit.

31-01-2014
front row

I doubt she'll ever end up in a publication that depends almost wholly on fashion industry ads. But, hoping she publishes again someday.

20-02-2014
backstage pass

The annual circulation of American magazines is out, I know that numbers and figures may not be everyone's thing but here it is:

Quote:
VOGUE 1,259,826

HARPER'S BAZAAR 719,715

ELLE 1,109,785

ALLURE 1,168,138

W 466,810

VANITY FAIR 1,205,229

MARIE CLAIRE 969,965

COSMOPOLITAN 3,015,858

IN STYLE 1,810,539

GLAMOUR 2,327,793

CONDE NAST TRAVELER 822,826

TEEN VOGUE 1,019,853

DETAILS 504,563

ESQUIRE 713,009

GQ 938,359
auditedmedia.com

Last edited by fonghay; 20-02-2014 at 03:11 AM.
20-02-2014
backstage pass

I was gonna note how Elle is creeping up on Vogue until I noticed that Allure is even closer in circulation which really surprised me although it's probably closer in relation to cosmo and glamour than to the fashion books.

20-02-2014
V.I.P.

^ Allure's numbers surprised me as well. Its amazing how well InStyle does, i never get this mags appeal!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, #3, business, magazines