The Business of Magazines #3 - Page 52 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
13-04-2017
don't look down

A snippet from popbitch:

Quote:
Poor Dylan Jones. He stuffed his tongue so far up David Cameron's arse that he almost slipped a disc, but what has it got him?

Despite putting his name to a crawling book of interviews with the man himself, Jones is still waiting for Cameron to come good on the peerage he so desperately wants – but the ceaseless bumlicking hasn't even reaped Jones a cushy job in the meantime.

It didn't do him any favours at Vogue House (the workplace of SamCam's sister) as the application he put in for the job of editor was turned down.

It didn't do him any favours at Northcliffe House either, as he applied for the Evening Standard job too, but lost out to George Osborne.

13-04-2017
fashion insider

Glenn O'brian has died RIP

13-04-2017
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srdjan View Post
It could be that some members of her family found the magazine morally unsuitable so she had to leave.

...How weird is to speak about this in year 2017.
She was fired so the issue was not with her family.

13-04-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.C. View Post
Glenn O'brian has died RIP
Yes, terribly sad about this. There is a special thread in the 'Rumor Has It' section.....

Re Deena, well, I'll reiterate my initial reservations with the release of her debut issue. That it was odd for someone with such little fashion background to book such a prestigious job. But even then, she's credited with relentlessly campaigning for the launch of that issue. She spent months putting together a splendid debut issue (in all fairness). They wouldn't just ditch her over a minor squibble. It's either something grossly unforgivable went down, or like Srdjan said, her family made her quit due. Or maybe she gave Vogue an ultimatum. WWD will get the exclusive, I'm sure. We'll find out soon enough.

Dylan Jones put his name forward to replace Alexandra? Shame. He should shape up GQ first before looking to conquer other markets. Maybe they thought CN will once again pull a Farneti and give it to him. One can dream, of course.

Last edited by Benn98; 13-04-2017 at 04:35 PM.

14-04-2017
V.I.P.

Vogue Arabia Appoints Manuel Arnaut as Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Manuel Arnaut has been appointed editor-in-chief of Vogue Arabia, succeeding Deena Aljuhani Abdulaziz who revealed on Thursday that she was fired after just two issues.

Arnaut, who will begin his role on May 7, was previously the editor-in-chief of Architectural Digest Middle East. He is the second man in a week to have been appointed to the helm of an edition of Vogue, following news that Edward Enninful will be the new editor-in-chief of British Vogue. Portugese-born Arnaut was previously editor of GQ Portugal and spent seven years as a writer for Vogue Portugal. He has also contributed to Vogue and GQ's Brazilian editions.

“After starting my professional life at Vogue, and having grown up devouring each page of its international editions, I'm deeply honoured to have the opportunity to come ‘home,’ at the helm of Vogue Arabia," said Arnaut in a statement.

"With the rich heritage of the Middle East as a starting point — and its eyes on the future — Vogue Arabia celebrates the region’s fashion and cultural identity, presenting it to the world in a luxurious, upbeat, and contemporary style. In an exciting climate of modernity and creativity, the team and I are committed to working towards a Vogue Arabia that is the proud voice of the region, representing the strength and allure of the Arab woman."

“Manuel Arnaut brings over a decade of Condé Nast editorial experience combined with a strong track record of regional success. We look forward to him building on Vogue Arabia’s foundation," added Shashi Menon, CEO and publisher, Nervora and Vogue Arabia.

News of Aljuhani Abdulaziz's abrupt departure from Vogue Arabia emerged on Thursday. In an exclusive statement shared with BoF, the Saudi princess said: "I refused to compromise when I felt the publisher’s approach conflicted with the values which underpin our readers and the role of the editor-in-chief in meeting those values in a truly authentic way."

It continued: "I am proud of what I have been able to accomplish in such a short space of time... It had initially been my intention to build this important and groundbreaking edition of Vogue from inception to a mature magazine in line with others in the Vogue stable."

On the subject of Aljuhani Abdulaziz's exit, Menon said: “As the Launch Editor-in-Chief of Vogue Arabia, Deena Aljuhani Abdulaziz has earned a place in the history of fashion and Vogue.”

The press release added that "Abdulaziz... successfully fulfilled her commitment to create a platform from which to challenge perceptions of Arab women and present alternative narratives coming out of the Middle East, while exposing diverse audiences to the region’s rich past and contemporary design scene. All at Vogue Arabia wish to thank Deena for the visionary launch and for preparing the groundwork for the future of the brand."

Aljuhani Abdulaziz was appointed editor-in-chief of Vogue Arabia in July 2016, charged with leading the launch of Condé Nast International’s long-awaited move into the Middle Eastern market.

Vogue Arabia was launched in partnership with Dubai-based publishing company Nervora, and debuted with a dual-language website in Arabic and English last year, followed by a print edition in March, starring a veiled Gigi Hadid shot by Inez and Vinoodh on its inaugural cover. The April cover featured Imaan Hammam, a Dutch model of Egyptian and Moroccan descent.
BY TAMARA ABRAHAM, businessoffashion.com

14-04-2017
V.I.P.

Who's next, Stefano Tonchi at American Vogue????

14-04-2017
V.I.P.

Whaaaaaaat? Vogue Italia, Vogue Uk, Vogue Korea, Vogue Arabia = all men ehhhh what´s going on at Vogue? Is it a rebranding from Condé Nast and a change of structure inside the company or something? I know we´ve already talked about this in the thread for Vogue Uk but if I were a woman I would ask myself questions or feel worried than men who, in this fashion area did not have so much power, are now also conquering this part of the society. Is it a good/bad sign for feminism and gender equality though?

14-04-2017
don't look down

As long as it remains equally likely that a woman can get the job in the future, I'm fine with a change.

Besides, I can't see most of these editors being granted the same length of tenure as their predecessors.

15-04-2017
V.I.P.

Well gender equality only requires that the best candidate is hired, regardless of gender. So if these new guyw were the best applicants, I don't see any issue

15-04-2017
front row

woah, i can't believe they fired Deena Aljuhani Abdulaziz after literally 2 issues! That inaugural cover will always be tainted as an unoriginal copy, so she really has no legacy at all.
In terms of the surge in male editors, it seems to be mostly circumstantial and not intentional. I mean after all, the only reason there are new EICs at any of the Vogues is because one passed away, another has quit and Deena was fired. If CN had sacked all three and replaced them with males then that might be suspicious. Vogue Korea is an anomaly, they regularly use male cover stars for one thing, so perhaps their magazine is not entirely comparable to other editions.

19-04-2017
V.I.P.

Yolanda Sacristan is now the EIC of Spanish Harper's Bazaar.

19-04-2017
V.I.P.

^ Whoa, makes me wonder if she left Vogue for them, because she got a better offer!

Thanks for the info.

19-04-2017
V.I.P.

Frankly speaking HB Spain was doing well, they didn't need Yolanda.
I wouldn't be surprised if she got a better offer from Hearst...

19-04-2017
V.I.P.

^ Totally! It's why I wondered if they recruited her to join! HB was doing much better issues, than what she did at Vogue, so why would Hearst want her? Very strange, i guess maybe they wan't a more commercial title now!

28-04-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
GWYNETH PALTROW is launching a Goop magazine, in partnership with Condé Nast. The actress and businesswoman will release the quarterly publication on newsstands from this September.

"I’ve long known Gwyneth to have wonderful taste and vision - but with Goop she has built something remarkable, a thoroughly modern take on how we live today," American Vogue editor-in-chief and Condé Nast artistic director Anna Wintour told WWD of the link-up. "Goop and Condé Nast are natural partners and I’m excited she’s bringing her point of view to the company. We all look forward to working with her and her team.”

No longer an add-on or afterthought, the new magazine's social-media presence has been carefully considered and will be a joint project between the publishing house and the wellbeing brand. The new publication will delve into all the topics that the website has focused on - from cooking and interiors to fitness and nutrition - all anchored in the quest for wellbeing. It is thought that editorial content will be created by the Goop team, with support from Condé Nast on visuals.

"Anna is a powerhouse, and one of the most admirable thought-leaders in media,” Paltrow - who has starred on the cover of dozens of magazines, including Vogue - added. “Collaborating with her and Condé Nast on this multiplatform content partnership, anchored by Goop’s emergence into a physical entity, was an opportunity for us to push our boundaries visually and deliver Goop’s point of view to consumers in new, dynamic ways.”
Vogue.co.uk

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, #3, british, business, editorinchief, edward, enninful, koller, left, magazines, names, paris, suzanne, vogue