The Business of Magazines #4 - Page 15 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
12-01-2018
V.I.P.

Quote:
Elaine Welteroth Is Leaving Condé Nast [UPDATED]

The 'Teen Vogue' EIC sent an email announcing her departure Thursday.

Fashionista
9 hours ago

Elaine Welteroth at Glamour's 2017 Women of the Year Awards in Brooklyn, New York. Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images

Elaine Welteroth at Glamour's 2017 Women of the Year Awards in Brooklyn, New York. Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images

It looks like Condé Nast is losing another major editor-in-chief: Elaine Welteroth is stepping down from Teen Vogue, according to an internal email sent to staffers on Thursday afternoon.

Welteroth was officially appointed editor-in-chief at Teen Vogue in April 2017, a role she assumed after sharing leadership duties with Digital Director Phillip Picardi and Creative Director Marie Suter for nearly a year.

Welteroth's editorial career kicked off at Ebony, where she started off as an intern before climbing the ranks to land the position of beauty and style editor, a role she filled from 2008-2011. From there, she moved to Glamour in a similar role before joining Teen Vogue as the publication's beauty and health director in 2012. When Welteroth was later named editor-in-chief at Teen Vogue, she was both the youngest person and only the second person of color to ever have held that title at any Condé Nast publication.

Welteroth has been credited with helping transform the print branch of Teen Vogue into a politically-engaged, buzz-generating publication, a movement that was started by its digital team; Teen Vogue ceased print publications in November 2017. There is no word on what Welteroth's next project will be, but we're sure all eyes will be on her.

UPDATE, Thurs., Jan. 11, 2018, 6:00 p.m.: A spokesperson from Condé Nast has responded with the following statement:

"We talked to Elaine about a number of different opportunities but ultimately she decided to go in a different direction. She was instrumental in the successful launch of the Teen Vogue Summit and know that she will carry that same passion and enthusiasm into her next venture. We wish her all the best in what we know will be an incredible career."

UPDATE, Thurs., Jan. 11, 2018, 7:20 p.m.: According to an exclusive by The Hollywood Reporter, Elaine Welteroth has signed with CAA, sparking further speculation she may be pursuing an on-camera career. Welteroth has previously made a cameo on "Black-ish," and has also co-written an episode of its spin-off "Grown-ish." Per THR, "CAA will work with Welteroth to expand her opportunities in film, television, digital, branding and endorsements as well as speaking engagements."
Source: Fashionista.com

12-01-2018
front row

I don’t know what tread to go.
I have a doubt. What a market editor/ fashion market editor/ accessories editor do?

I was looking the masthead of american vogue, and there’s a lot of people there and I don’t know what they do

13-01-2018
scenester

Article in NYT about Bruce Weber and Testino sexually harrassing male models. Condé Nast says they’ll stop working with both photogs for “the foreseeable future.”

13-01-2018
MON
V.I.P.

Quote:
Anna Wintour Responds to Mario Testino and Bruce Weber Sexual Misconduct Allegations

Today, the New York Times reported allegations of sexual misconduct against photographers Mario Testino and Bruce Weber, which they have challenged or denied. Both have been contributors to Vogue and Condé Nast for many years. Below is a personal response from Vogue’s editor in chief and Condé Nast Artistic Director Anna Wintour.

The past several months have been an extraordinary time of reckoning and change, and I, like so many others, have been astonished by the courage of those who have come forward to tell stories of sexual misconduct. Abuse of power has gone on for too long in so many places—including in Washington, in Hollywood, in broadcasting, journalism, Silicon Valley, and last but not least, in fashion, where many young women and men have spoken up about manipulation and coercion on go-sees, on shoots and in other working environments. I’m proud to say that Condé Nast is responding, here and internationally, with a new Code of Conduct, a set of guidelines for outside contributors which have emerged after bracingly honest discussions—with model advocates and agents, stylists, photographers, hair and makeup artists, set designers, and many of our own editors. The goal of these conversations has been to understand how we can create safe and positive environments for everyone we work with. These are some of the decisions we have made:

*All models appearing in fashion shoots commissioned by Condé Nast must be 18 years of age or older. The only exceptions will be those appearing as themselves as part of a profile, news story or similar content, and they will be required to have a chaperone on set at all times.

*Alcohol will no longer be allowed on Condé Nast sets. Recreational drugs are not permitted.

*Photographers will no longer be permitted to use a Condé Nast set for any work that is not commissioned or approved by the company.

*Any shoot involving nudity, sheer clothing, lingerie, swimwear, simulated drug or alcohol use or sexually suggestive poses must be approved in advance by the subject.

Even as we stand with victims of abuse and misconduct, we must also hold a mirror up to ourselves—and ask if we are doing our utmost to protect those we work with so that unacceptable conduct never happens on our watch. Sometimes that means addressing the fact that such behavior can occur close to home. Today, allegations have been made against Bruce Weber and Mario Testino, stories that have been hard to hear and heartbreaking to confront. Both are personal friends of mine who have made extraordinary contributions to Vogue and many other titles at Condé Nast over the years, and both have issued objections or denials to what has emerged. I believe strongly in the value of remorse and forgiveness, but I take the allegations very seriously, and we at Condé Nast have decided to put our working relationship with both photographers on hold for the foreseeable future.
Source: vogue.com

13-01-2018
V.I.P.

Not sure if it's ok to post this, but i have personally heard stories about Testino for years, from models, to his former assistants that had some cringe worthy experiences right from Harvey Weinstein book!!

How glorious to see someone as powerful as Testino be held accountable, i thought the day would never come! The amount of support this man has in the industry, despite many knowing, is insane!!

Surprised and happy by Anna's statement, it truly feels like we are at a point of change in the world, and creeps are being weeded OUT!! The fact they won't work wtih him, no CN title, is amazing step, and i hope he doesn' weasel himself out of this, and more people come forward!

13-01-2018
V.I.P.

Moderator's Note:

You're absolutely correct Miss Dalloway, can we please refrain from this discussion here in 'The Business of Magazines' and move over to this thread here (http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f63...l#post14060045), where the topic is already being discussed. Many thanks!

V.I.P.

^ Thanks for the heads up, feel free to delete my comment, i reposted it in the thread!

13-01-2018
trendsetter

I wonder what these decisions by Condé Nast will mean for young talented models like Cara Taylor and others. Will their career be set on a hiatus? Will they have enough work with other clients to keep the momentum going (or will others be following Condé Nast)? Will it be the end of their career for some of them?
And will Kaia Gerber become a model/it-girl gone pure it-girl because otherwise Vogue won't be able to work with her any longer?

13-01-2018
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
I wonder what these decisions by Condé Nast will mean for young talented models like Cara Taylor and others. Will their career be set on a hiatus? Will they have enough work with other clients to keep the momentum going (or will others be following Condé Nast)? Will it be the end of their career for some of them?
And will Kaia Gerber become a model/it-girl gone pure it-girl because otherwise Vogue won't be able to work with her any longer?
They can still work. This is actually an amazing thing for every underage model. They will have time to develop into beautiful women before being set to work. Test shoots, campaigns, everything a child model usually does.

What I'm curious to see is if the recent trend of older models will continue and we will see more 30-40 years old models on Vogue. I would love that.

tfs star

Very interesting....about Latam Fashion Media

https://www.businessoffashion.com/ar...-fashion-media

I love you too

There is a rumor that Victoria Davydova is leaving Vogue Russia. She will be succeed by Maria Fedorova who is currently EIC at Glamour. A welcome change, if you ask me.

17-01-2018
V.I.P.

^ Thanks for sharing, that makes me happy. What Davydova has done with the magazine is just so unappealing to me!

Now if we get news of Glenda Bailey leaving US HB soon, would be nice.

18-01-2018
V.I.P.

I don´t know where else to ask this so here it goes:

when you subscribe to Vogue Italia you also get access to their archives, do you know if US, UK and Paris have the same feature?

18-01-2018
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobombon View Post
do you know if US, UK and Paris have the same feature?
Why would you want to subscribe to these magazines? They're bad!

18-01-2018
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn98 View Post
Why would you want to subscribe to these magazines? They're bad!
I can get the digital issues for free but I´m more interested in the archives

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, #4, business, editorinchief, fedorova, magazines, masha, russia, vogue