The Business of Magazines #4 - Page 34 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
4 Weeks Ago
front row

Exclusive: Vanity Fair Names Samira Nasr Executive Fashion Director

Vanity Fair has named Elle’s Samira Nasr executive fashion director.

“Samira’s discerning eye and creative spirit are an inspiration, and we are delighted to have her on board. Please join me in welcoming her to VF,” Vanity Fair editor in chief Radhika Jones said in an announcement that went out to staff Wednesday morning.

Nasr is Elle’s fashion director. Prior to that, she was style director for InStyle. Originally from Montreal, Nasr came to New York for journalism school and got her start in fashion working as an assistant to Grace Coddington at Vogue.

The announcement of Nasr’s hiring comes on the heels of news that Vanity Fair’s fashion director Michael Carl has been let go from the title, along with several others. As executive fashion director, Nasr is filling a new role, essentially combining aspects of the position held by Carl with that held by Jessica Diehl, who stepped down as creative director, fashion and style in March.

Combining top-level positions is one way to keep budgets down — something that Jones was expected to do when she took the position.

Meanwhile, Jones continues to put her stamp on the magazine. The summer issue, which hits newsstands next week, features Emilia Clarke on the cover and represents a visual departure from former editor in chief Graydon Carter’s Vanity Fair.

3 Weeks Ago
front row

Mel Ottenberg is supposed to be the new creative director at Interview... The magazine is far from being gone .

They put the magazine in bankrupt in order to avoid paying stylists, writers etc

3 Weeks Ago
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GivenchyAddict View Post
Mel Ottenberg is supposed to be the new creative director at Interview... The magazine is far from being gone .

They put the magazine in bankrupt in order to avoid paying stylists, writers etc

Thanks!

http://https://fashionweekdaily.com/...gazine-return/

Quote:
It looks like Interview magazine might be coming back from the dead after filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy and shuttering on May 21st. A memo obtained by The Daily and written by Interview publisher Jason Nikic reveals that the magazine will return with a September 2018 issue.

The memo states that editor-in-chief Nick Haramis will return to the helm with Rihanna’s stylist Mel Ottenberg joining the staff as creative director, replacing Karl Templer. “Over the coming weeks, our editorial and creative teams will take the responsibility of making this rebirthed Interview as beautiful, as creative, and as visually stunning as ever,” wrote Nikic. “We are equally committed [to] bringing the same set of creativity, acumen, and devotion to the business of Warhol’s legacy as we have always brought to the editorial side. When we look into our crystal ball, it tells us the future looks bright indeed! And we hope that you, our patrons, continue to have faith in the importance Interview has played in its role as the “Crystal Ball of Pop” by supporting its rebirth and giving this icon a chance to driving pop culture for the next fifty years.”
The full memo is in the linked article

3 Weeks Ago
fashion elite

This is neither good news nor bad news.

Ingrid Sischy’s reign without Fabien ushered in the ugliest-looking period of American Interview. Ever.

And now without Fabien and Karl— to be replaced by this Mel person as creative director, Rihanna’s stylists LOL… Doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in this magazine’s on again/off again presence.

Interview will remain mercifully dead to me until I see what these people are capable of.

3 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

Wtf!! Fashion publications really are a joke now!! Leave it dead!

3 Weeks Ago
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post
This is neither good news nor bad news.

Ingrid Sischy’s reign without Fabien ushered in the ugliest-looking period of American Interview. Ever.

And now without Fabien and Karl— to be replaced by this Mel person as creative director, Rihanna’s stylists LOL… Doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in this magazine’s on again/off again presence.

Interview will remain mercifully dead to me until I see what these people are capable of.

LOL Mel has done a lot more than just style Rihanna.

3 Weeks Ago
tfs star

and what about all the people they didn't pay?.....

yeah Mel have a vast editorial work....but creative director? mmm i hope he pushed himself very hard to fill the space left by KT otherwise i guess we are gonna see a lot of Rihanna, Steven Klein, etc....

V.I.P.

What a joke! They should've just left this magazine in the coffin. I know I said a fashion stylist should resurrect it, but my God, I meant someone with some actual talent. Not Rihanna's personal dresser!

1 Day Ago
backstage pass

UK vogue has a £2 sticker on in my local shop.

And they've just announced that you can subscribe for 12 months for £19.99. a 58% saving....

is #newvogue not selling?

1 Day Ago
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8eight View Post
UK vogue has a £2 sticker on in my local shop.

And they've just announced that you can subscribe for 12 months for £19.99. a 58% saving....

is #newvogue not selling?
Woopsy.

V.I.P.

To be fair to Edward Enninful, that exact subscription deal has been out since I started to subscribe a few year back (I’m on that rate as a subscriber) and the magazine was selling for £2 across certain parts of the UK when Alexandra Shulman was EIC too.

V.I.P.

Maybe Eight meant that the subscription deal and £2 cost seems a bit odd what with everyone going on about how well the magazine is selling. Edward himself said at Cannes that the sales for Gugu's cover was 'through the roof' which I find hard to believe, but all will be laid bare by ABC very soon.

Other than December, the rest of the issues are retailing at £2 in my area.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, #4, business, editorinchief, fedorova, magazines, masha, russia, vogue