How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

18-02-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberty33r1b View Post
from wwd.com:

BERLINAlmost two years to the day of being launched, Vanity Fair Germany is closing. The current issue, which hits newsstands Thursday, is to be the last.

does anyone know why they are closing? unfortunately I do not have a wwd subscription to read the whole article.....maybe someone else could post it here? Thanks.

oh, why ?
I think this post is for bussines of magazines thread

18-02-2009
V.I.P.

There's Last Cover February 19,2009 : Sean Penn
On Newsstands : Tomorrow

vanityfair.de

Last edited by tarsha; 18-02-2009 at 11:30 AM.

18-02-2009
V.I.P.

haha

18-02-2009
fashion icon

Sean Penn's last week.
Tomorrow is Heike Makatsch:

source pressekatalog.de

They have not sold enough copies. Several German magazines have been shut down in the last months, like Park Avenue, Celebrity, Woman, Young.

Last edited by moussemaker; 18-02-2009 at 12:00 PM.

18-02-2009
V.I.P.

I wonder why they are closing

18-02-2009
windowshopping

why are they closing? vogue is so popular..

18-02-2009
Mr. Magic

^ermm it's Vanity Fair..

ugh business is too tough right now

18-02-2009
V.I.P.

hahahaha

18-02-2009
V.I.P.

but this is so sudden, i mean this week's the last. they could have informed us weeks earlier.....

18-02-2009
don't look down

The other day, I saw an ad for Italian Vanity Fair in a very old Vogue Italia, so it seems that version existed and died, before being resurrected in recent years (and perhaps disappearing again).

Sad to see the German version shut down, but here's hoping that it will come back to life in some form in the future.

18-02-2009
The future is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
The other day, I saw an ad for Italian Vanity Fair in a very old Vogue Italia, so it seems that version existed and died, before being resurrected in recent years (and perhaps disappearing again).
Do you mean Italian Vanity from the 80's? If so... they are amazing... I have some issues that my Mother saved & passed on to me. Antonio did many of the covers & Anna Piaggi was the editor.

18-02-2009
don't look down

Yes! And the ad I saw had Ornella Muti at a window, I actually saved the ad because of it, the image was innocent and erotic at the same time.

18-02-2009
The future is stupid

source | wwd.com

Quote:
Obituary: Robert Fairchild, 66

Wednesday February 18, 2009

Robert Fairchild, a member of the family that founded WWD and other Fairchild publications, died of a heart attack Monday on a plane en route home to New York from the Bahamas. He was 66.

An avid outdoorsman and wine expert, Fairchild worked for the company in the Sixties and Seventies in various capacities. When he was a college student at the University of Pennsylvania in the early Sixties, he joined the family business as a summer intern at Menswear, then a monthly fashion trade magazine.

Fairchild worked as a foreign correspondent in the company’s Paris bureau between 1966 and 1968, later in radio for then-parent company Capital Cities Inc., and later returned to Menswear, according to then-Menswear editor Mort Gordon. Fairchild Fashion Group is now owned by Condé Nast.

When Fairchild was regaling the Menswear staff at a lunch in 1971 with wine advice, Gordon said he told his mentee jokingly, “If you knew as much about publishing as you do about wine, we’d be much better off.”

Gordon said that two days later, Fairchild bought a 50 percent stake in The House of Burgundy Inc., a New York importing firm, where Fairchild served as president and chief executive officer until his death. In 1994, he purchased the Maison Prosper Maufoux, whose wines House of Burgundy had been importing since 1947, and created the Maison Des Grand Cru to market the Maufoux wines globally. The French Parliament made Fairchild a Chevalier of the Ordre du Mérite Agricole on July 16, 1987, in recognition of his efforts on behalf of French wine.

Fairchild is survived by his four daughters, Stephanie Griswold, Suzie Kovner, Samantha Storkerson and Serena Sheldon, and six grandchildren.

“He had an amazing joie de vivre,” said Griswold.

Respects can be paid at Frank E. Campbell Funeral Chapel, 1076 Madison Avenue, on Thursday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., and Friday from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Services will be held at The Church of St. Thomas More, 65 E. 89th Street, at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday.

The family has requested that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine or Avon Old Farms School.

20-02-2009
The future is stupid

source | wwd

Quote:
Nonnie Moore, Legendary Men's Editor, Dead at 87

Legendary editor Nonnie Moore, known for her energy and creativity in both women’s and men’s fashion, died early Thursday morning at St. Vincent’s Hospital in Manhattan. She was 87.

The cause of death was complications from a choking accident, said her son Thomas.

Moore retired in 1994 as the fashion director of GQ, where she had worked for a decade, after serving as fashion editor at Mademoiselle and Harper’s Bazaar. That year, she received a Council of Fashion Designers of America lifetime achievement award. GQ’s then-editor, the late Art Cooper, said upon her retirement, “I would have to say that she reinvented the way men’s fashion is covered. She has an infallible, unbelievable eye.”

“Nonnie was a brilliant fashion editor and always added something special to the stories she covered for GQ,” said Condé Nast chairman S.I. Newhouse Jr.

Designers reached Thursday also praised Moore. Donna Karan called her “a confidante” since the designer’s days at Anne Klein. “It was my first experience of working with fashion editors. She was so always up and very personable, passionate and somebody you wanted to hang with,” Karan said.

Ralph Lauren remembered Moore as “an incredibly talented and caring woman. She was very supportive of me and my business early on in my career.”

Added Tommy Hilfiger, “She was like a mother to a lot of us. She would speak very openly and honestly about not only my collection but she would show concern for us personally.”

Born in New York City, Moore graduated from Barnard College. She went to work at Mademoiselle in 1956, where she eventually became fashion editor under Edie Locke.

“She was never too tired to investigate anything she heard about, any inkling and gut reaction — she would follow through,” Locke said. “When we did the Paris collections together, we would limp home at the end of the day, but there was still something going on at night. I would fall into bed and Nonnie would change her clothes and go out. It was constant curiosity that always kept her going.”

One of the young photographers she encouraged was Bruce Weber, who remembered “this extremely tall and elegant woman who wore this beautiful jewelry, and it was very bohemian. She was just so warm and open and gave a young people a chance.” Later on, Moore’s husband, Thomas L. Moore, an architect who died in 1990, doubled as a Ralph Lauren model and was often photographed by Weber.

“I always used to joke with her that I thought she was the oldest living hippie,” said Calvin Klein, who began working with Moore in the Mademoiselle days. “She dressed fabulously but always eccentric and very hippielike. She was very artsy, creative, innovative, and extremely kind and generous — and supportive. Mademoiselle was wonderful in those days. And that was really because of Nonnie.”

“She had this amazing sense of humor,” said her friend Wendy Goodman, now an editor at New York magazine. “In a fashion world that can be really quirky and trendy and dumb, Nonnie was a beacon of wisdom. She really knew herself. She wasn’t susceptible to any of the silliness.”

Sandy Horvitz, who also worked with Moore at Mademoiselle, said, “Nonnie was just so young at heart. I was all of 20 and I couldn’t keep up with her, and I always used to say to her, ‘Nonnie, you’re younger than I am.’ She was the most positive, up, fun, exciting person I ever met.

“She was creative and an artist,” Horvitz added. “Once, the art director at Mademoiselle said, ‘When you go into the room and Nonnie is there, she is always speaking to the most interesting person in the room, because everyone wanted to know her.’”

Designer Carol Horn added, “She was the most generous, warm, full person in every sense. She was a very rounded, grounded and wonderful woman.”

In 1979, Moore became fashion editor of Harper’s Bazaar. The magazine’s editor at that time, Anthony Mazzola, said of her, “She was a first-class fashion editor and a first-class lady. She brought a great deal of enthusiasm to the magazine while she was fashion editor and she had an unusual sense of art.”

When she joined GQ in the mid-Eighties, Moore didn’t have men’s fashion experience but quickly showed a talent for it. “She took the fashion pages from zero to 60,” said current GQ fashion director Jim Moore (no relation), who worked under her. “At that point she was probably in her 60s, but she thought like a 25-year-old. Designers would get so excited to be in her presence because she was such a nurturer of talent.”

In 1994, Moore described to The New York Times her decision to leave GQ to focus on painting: “I love my job totally, more than any job I have ever had. Fashion has been my whole life, but I have also always painted. I finally decided that if I don’t paint all the time, I will never give it the chance I want.”

In addition to her son Thomas, Moore is survived by another son, Peter, and two grandchildren. “She has a wonderful family,” Karan said. “Family meant so much to her, and she made you feel like a part of the fashion family and that was her core essence.”

A memorial service is expected to be held in the coming weeks.

20-02-2009
The future is stupid

source | fashionweekdaily

Quote:
India's Time to Shine
Harper's Bazaar launches Indian edition with Kareena Kapoor on the cover
(NEW YORK) With 28 other international editions, it's about time that Harper's Bazaar launched in India, the world's second most populous country. The first issue, out on February 27, will feature Bollywood actress Kareena Kapoor on the cover, which will be studded with miniature Swarovski crystals. Sujata Assomull, a luxury consultant, will serve as editor-in-chief.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
business, magazines