How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

16-03-2009
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchunu<3 View Post
well i for one wo uld love to see this Audrey Tautou actress on the cover..i didn't know who she was but i googled her and wow..she looks lovely and she's someone i'm unfamiliar with so i'd much prefer her than another American "starlet".
You haven't seen Amelie? I love Audrey Tautou. If you like Marion, you'll love her. They both act with their eyes.

I agree with you that I'd rather have someone unfamiliar over any American actress. Unfortunately, in America, we're celebrity-obsessed; there is no escaping them.

16-03-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierRaphael View Post
I disagree with all of that completely. Vogue US is 80% American people, maybe not American models but American socials, musicians, actors, actresses, theater stars, television stars. I disagree strongly that US Vogue is a hybrid, they are completely their own brand. But I wont go into that.
I was talking about their model selection. I guess their own brand of models is Zimmerman, Trentini and Vodianova, who are marketed as their models but really, they were Meisel's girls too at one point in time. And they are not branded as "american". I am not being ethnocentric here, I am not even american, but I just feel that brand america is still sellable. I've been looking for that brand, and cant find it but I guess the hottest incarnation of brand america is right now is britney, tabloids and celebs. and i love britney too btw but she not enough.

Last edited by yalil; 16-03-2009 at 10:17 PM.

16-03-2009
V.I.P.

^i've gotta agree with that. I think everyone would agree that Russian models have the biggest support system when it comes to being supported by their country and coming in close 2nd place would be Canadian models. Since i've been into fashion models (circa 2003) i've never known for America to be proud of and show off its own models.. even at their modeling peaks. Hilary Rhoda is probably the most successful American model of the newest century (she did and is still doing pretty damn well) even compared to her Russian, Brazilian and Canadian counterparts and never got a solo US Vogue cover. Now of course we all know that would be very unlikely to happen because US Vogue usually only does solo model covers because of achievements outside of fashion (i.e. Liya Kebede) or if the model is a superstar herself. (Kate Moss, Gisele etc.). This is a shame because promotion of their own models could really bring them to star status. Angela Lindvall is still a huge american model after the supers era who has done so much prestigious fashion work and could have benefitted tenfold if she got a solo cover; she could have been made a bona fide celebrity as everywhere she is..god knows she deserves it!

Christy Turlington had a solo US Vogue cover with the Yoga theme, i think in about 2004 or 2005, but i mean duh she's Christy Turlington.

I completely agree with US Vogue following a trend because it never had a specific casting that was outside of Meisel's liking.

Last edited by Mchunu; 16-03-2009 at 10:31 PM.

16-03-2009
front row

I am just being sentimental I dunno why. When I was a kid in the 90s, I browsed thru Vogue US, Elle and Harpers and all I would see is Carolyn Murphy, Amber Valletta, Trish Goff and magazines put names and some info to their pics that's how I came to know them. I thought Shalom Harlow was american too because she was kinda lumped with them all the time. LOL. (I hated Carloyn Murphy too BTW.) When Teen Vogue did something a few years ago with Chanel and Ali M (both of whom I'm meh) and Karlie (ok to me), I thought together they really worked well.

Last edited by yalil; 16-03-2009 at 10:32 PM.

16-03-2009
V.I.P.

can't edit my post but oops im wrong Angie did have a solo US Vogue cover..in 2000 and 1998 according to FMD1.com so i guess that kinda defies the point of my post lololololol

but my point still stands

16-03-2009
fashion insider

Vogue only carrys the best models, and if there aren't any American girls worthy enough, then you wont see them. Karlie & Chanel are girls who are working hard and deserve it.

16-03-2009
front row

What about Heidi Mount guys? She hasn't been in Vogue yet...and if they are going for an American girl it would be GREAT for it to be her. But then TI said it would be unexpected, and is Heidi Mount that unexpected?

16-03-2009
V.I.P.

^^there are other American Models besides them who deserve a little piece of the pie too though..Cameron Russell, Ali Stephens, Ali Michael, Erin Wasson, Jessica Miller, Hilary Rhoda, Emina Cunmulaj, Sessilee Lopez etc...all very talented models

Last edited by Mchunu; 16-03-2009 at 10:52 PM.

16-03-2009
front row

I agree with you. I am just saying that as a team, they always worked... (c'mon now, the models I rattled down there are kinda dated and 90s... LOL even I dont wanna see them again; it's just childhood memories of how mags did it back then).

(And I have that Angela Lindvall cover way back when they had models in the cover; wearing aprada dress with lips on it. If I remember right... need to find it.)

Last edited by yalil; 16-03-2009 at 10:51 PM.

16-03-2009
V.I.P.

^i was referring to Xavier Raphael's post..but yea i agree with you too yalil.

16-03-2009
V.I.P.

Kate Moss on a set of a photoshoot in Paris with what looks like McDean shooting it, and Enninful styling, but she could be just shooting the ad campaign though?

(JustJared.com)

16-03-2009
front row

Yeah I'm putting my money on Heidi Mount. The Chanel campaign carries a lot of weight. Plus she has an interesting back-story. And I'm thinking she's got the most high-profile campaign for an American Model right now. And she hasn't been in Vogue...remember my post when she's on the cover!

16-03-2009
trendsetter

A Kate cover to go hand in hand with the rumored Karl campaign she could be getting?

16-03-2009
fashion insider

Or maybe its something for the May US Vogue, she is co hosting and she is a top model AND, its enninful and mcdean.

16-03-2009
trendsetter

Whatever Kate is shooting must be for American Vogue. Edward Enninful only styles for i-D and American Vogue, and occassionally VI. But Craig McDean is an American Vogue photographer. It's most likely for the May issue- Kate's Met Gala co-chair tribute.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, cover, rumor, thread