How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-09-2012
trendsetter

I love both images, but neither are cover worthy in my opinion. I'm bored already.

06-09-2012
Ère de ℳodernité

The covers are quite sweet, very joyful. Although, I must say I'm not impressed with the content so far. It seems very flat...

I'm not a big fan of hers so I guess I won't buy her magazine. I never thought she was a particularly humble person, but everytime I read about her magazine, I feel like her monstruous ego is jumping to my face... The stupid name, the giant CR and the CR at the corner of the pages... Geez :vomit: ! She should have put herself on the cover, that'd have made more sense.

fashion insider

i love the editorials but i'm not sure about the cover images

06-09-2012
V.I.P.

For such a high anticipated magazine, these covers are so mundane and lame.... Come on Carine, you are just about the most controversial fashion figure and this is what you come up with?
The other editorials sound/look good though.

06-09-2012
backstage pass

Oh god... I actually quite like Kate's cover

It's the best she's ever looked IMO.

06-09-2012
V.I.P.

kate upton? i wont be buying this

backstage pass

I have to say this wasn't what I was expecting but I still like them I was hoping for something edgy but I guess this is expected from what the theme of the issue is. All the eds look great so far, can't wait to buy this.

backstage pass

So you tease me with a shocking , chilling image of a naked woman walking about in a Cemetery draped in Lavender Sheer fabric..which to me was powerful, hauntingly inspiring, yet provoking then you deliver a cover that looks like Kate Upton's Old Fashionweek Showcard......WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dislike everything so far; the eds and BOTH God Awful covers as well.
Carine, Carine, CARINE what on earth were you thinking dearie??????

ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

love it!! Kate has an amazing smile...the little girl looks adorable too

06-09-2012
rising star

Not a fan of either cover and I still don't get why Carine chose Kate for the cover

06-09-2012
you soft and only

Why is it so surprising that Carine would be interested in Kate Upton?

I mean, she had Paris Hilton on the cover of VP... let's not kid ourselves here.

06-09-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post
The covers are fresh and unexpected, I appreciate that. The best and most striking thing for me is that this doesn't look like an old Vogue Paris. I would be disappointed if it did.
x2, had this looked like VP people would've been screaming for new things from her

07-09-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Carine Roitfeld Unveils CR Fashion Book

NEW YORK — Carine Roitfeld will send forth her CR Fashion Book magazine on newsstands Sept. 13 with a fatter issue than expected. The 340-page debut issue sold 150 pages of advertising, outpacing the original plan for 100 pages of ads. Brands that bought in include Giorgio Armani, Louis Vuitton, Dior, Tom Ford, Chanel and Estée Lauder.

Every ad in the new twice-a-year title is a double-page spread and includes a six-month presence on crfashionbook.com, which launched Tuesday, for an official package rate of $40,000. A number of premium positions in the front of the book were sold to advertisers who took multiple spreads, while the remainder of ads are positioned alphabetically through the book. “So it’s better to be Alexander Wang than Balenciaga,” said Roitfeld.

The launch will be celebrated on Saturday at a black-tie party at the Frick Collection, sponsored by Mercedes-Benz.

Overall, 50,000 copies of CR Fashion Book will be distributed, with a cover price of $15. That compares to a circulation of 55,000 in print and 45,000 via digital subscriptions for V magazine.

“We all know what the publishing industry is like these days. The cost of shoots keeps going up and the cost of paper keeps going up. So the break-even point is constantly changing,” said Stephen Gan, Roitfeld’s business partner in the project and design director of the title, of the economics of new venture. “But you know, the very positive reaction from the ad community has reflected itself in something quite lucrative for us. It hasn’t been as much of a struggle as I thought it would be with how are we going to pay for this first issue.”

Gan established Fashion Media Group LLC earlier this year to serve as the umbrella publisher of Visionaire, V, V Man and CR Fashion Book.

About 90 percent of CR’s launch issue is dedicated to fashion shoots and 10 percent to features and stories. A rep for the magazine declined to reveal the cover subject but confirmed Bruce Weber shot it. According to sources, Weber shot model Kate Upton in Miami for the magazine.

Also shooting for the title is Michael Avedon, the college-age grandson of Richard Avedon. “It’s a bridge between legends and newborn talent. Avedon has a beautiful name but he’s new and fresh,” explained Roitfeld. A similar tack is taken with models. “We have big girls — I will say angels to protect the magazine — like Lara Stone and Linda Evangelista and Stephanie Seymour. But also very new models that no one knows.”

The magazine forgos a traditional front-of-book section, relegating those kind of short items to its Web site. The magazine is published on a heavy matte paper stock.

Gan and Roitfeld have a long history of working together, with Roitfeld styling the very first cover of V magazine in September 1999. The advertising effort at CR Fashion Book is headed by publisher Jorge Garcia — with a direct assist from Roitfeld, who met personally with marketers like David Lauren, executive vice president of advertising, marketing and corporate communications at Ralph Lauren Corp. A small team of editors — including editorial director Christopher Bartley, managing editor Steven Chaiken and senior fashion editor Michaela Dosamantes — work out of the Standard East hotel in New York.

The partnership between Roitfeld and Gan was initiated by the latter in the wake of Roitfeld’s exit from the editor in chief post of French Vogue in January 2011. “My goal was to really provide her with the framework and the publishing structure,” said Gan, who is editor in chief of V and creative director at Harper’s Bazaar. There are several silent investors in Fashion Media Group, said Gan. Roitfeld herself has an ownership stake in CR Fashion Book.

“After her so-called break-up [with French Vogue], it felt natural to propose that we do something together,” said Gan. “It’s been great proof to me that it’s a person who’s important over title. In philosophy, there’s a difference between self power and object-referral power, or power that is associated to title and positions,” said Gan. “Not to sound too New Age, but I always felt Carine had true self power. It wasn’t so much the context of the medium or where she chose to perform it.”

Roitfeld is launching a limited edition color cosmetics line with MAC this fall and appears in its advertising campaign, shot by Mario Sorrenti. She also styled fall ad campaigns for Dior and Givenchy.

“When I was at Vogue, I had a lot of freedom. But I was still in a beautiful golden cage. I could not do a campaign with Karl Lagerfeld or launch a line with MAC,” said Roitfeld. “I want to do all these propositions. I think its fun. This magazine is a project to do between all the other crazy projects I have. I want to enjoy, you know?”
wwd.com

backstage pass

What I love about the covers is the effortless and joyous aspect, adorn by the simple but elegant type and overall layout; not your usual 'in your face' type of covers for sure, but rather suggesting a clean slate that it is, there's plenty of room inside for all the bold, aggressive material.
And it doesn't make much difference to me if the model is Upton or some other bland blonde chick I don't care about, so I'll not whine about that either.
As for the CR stamp at the corner of the pages, I definitively doubt it would appear in the print, it's for the digital previews only.

07-09-2012
V.I.P.

Dare I mention I'm bored with something Carine has contributed to. Nonetheless, I'm partial to a decent Linda Evangelista or Stephanie Seymour edit.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, audrey, book, bruce, cr, fashion, harrelson, kate, upton, weber