How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-05-2013
Mag Master

Dazed & Confused June 2013 : Daft Punk by Hedi Slimane

facebook/DazedandConfusedMagazine

omg, Mr. Disco God Moroder himself (he produced the alltime classic "Love To Love You Baby" by Donna Summer ♥)i'm excited to get this issue

Last edited by Mat Cyruss; 10-05-2013 at 11:45 AM.

10-05-2013
_____

Good to see Giorgio. I hope they covered his recent collab with Daft Punk and I think he did something for Louis Vuitton too.

10-05-2013
boop

Interesting foreshadowing, I wonder if this will lead into a larger preview of the Daft Punk album.

10-05-2013
Hell on Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post
Interesting foreshadowing, I wonder if this will lead into a larger preview of the Daft Punk album.
they did the 3d issue when their tron soundtrack came out, im guessing / hoping they'll do something big this time around too.

great to see giorgio, although his last interview on the recent fantastic man issue left me perplexed... still looking forward to reading this one

10-05-2013
front row

I like the dappled light, like a discoball looking forward to seeing more from this issue!

10-05-2013
V.I.P.

Fantastic.

V.I.P.

Love this cover, B&W + shadowing!!! Looking forward to the content.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post
I hope so!

Glad to see Moroder here. He's such an icon, imo.

V.I.P.

I just want to know why bloody Hedi had to shoot him . Honestly I'm very intrigued to read his interview though being the production legend that he is!

10-05-2013
V.I.P.

Love Moroder but I don't really like this photo. He looks like a potato.

And I see Dazed hasn't retired the Scotch tape...

10-05-2013
Hell on Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiercification View Post
I just want to know why bloody Hedi had to shoot him .
hedi did the suits for daft punk - giorgio collaborated on the new daft punk album, i think that's why. i havent been a fan of hedi's work for quite some time, but it could be a very interesting shoot, anyway, we'll see.

12-05-2013
Hell on Heels

- ha, i was right. Full cover story + snippets from the article from DazedDigital.com

Text Tim Noakes
Photography & Styling Hedi Slimane

The robots have returned.
When Daft Punk last graced our cover in 2010, Thomas Bangalter and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo talked at length about their retro-futurist soundtrack to Tron: Legacy. But there was one subject that they flatly refused to go into detail about Ė their follow-up to 2005ís Human After All.
Two and a half years on, the duo are finally ready to break their silence with Random Access Memories, their love letter to the disco era. One of the albumís highlights is ďGiorgio by MoroderĒ, a nine-minute tribute to the synth hero responsible for Donna Summerís ďI Feel LoveĒ, Blondieís ďCall MeĒ, Berlinís ďTake My Breath AwayĒ and some of the most iconic scores
 in Hollywood history, including Scarface, Midnight Express and Flashdance.
We felt that it was only right to bring them face to face for a secret pop summit in Los Angeles, shot by Hedi Slimane. It is the first time the Punks have been photographed 
and interviewed with another artist, human or otherwise. Not that they consider Moroder a man, more a God.
To whet your appetite until our Masked Rebellion issue drops this Wednesday Ė with two covers to choose from Ė here are ten snippets from the interview that we just couldnít keep to ourselves any longerÖ

DAFT PUNK ON MAKING RANDOM ACCESS MEMORIES
Guy-Manuel De Homem-Christo: It was a really special process. Every album weíve done is tightly linked with our lives. You cannot separate your life and your music and your job; everythingís linked. The internal, personal stuff Thomas went through during Human After All made it closer to where he was at the time, and this one feels a lot closer to me than him. We make music together, but this one took me to some special depths, getting really close to what I was going through personally. Iíve never been too technical; Thomas is more the technician. This album has more soul.

GIORGIO MORODER ON ďGIORGIO BY MORODERĒ
I didnít have any idea how you guys would use it. I thought you might cut it up into a rap. So I was pleasantly surprised when I heard it the first time. It was also kind of emotional to hear my story and a little bit of my sound in there. Iím one of the few humans alive whose biography is a song.

DAFT PUNK ON THE HYPE SURROUNDING THEIR RETURN
Guy-Manuel De Homem-Christo: Right now my brain is shutting everything down, making me pretend that everything is normal. It still amazes me that everyone is so crazy about what we are doing. Iím like, either I am crazy or everybodyís crazy. Maybe I am just dreaming but people seem to really freak out at what we are doing. I donít know why!
Thomas Bangalter: The music itself is exactly what we wanted it to be. We have no anxiety about that. Sharing it with the world is something different. Itís a big question mark. Thereís a certain amount of excitement and madness that enters the equation.

GIORGIO MORODER ON HIS LEGACY
One of the most interesting things, at least for me, are the soundtracks for The Social Network and Drive. Basically, itís what I did in American Gigolo. I could have done the music for those movies blindfolded. And one of them won an Oscar and the other is this massive soundtrack. So that music definitely feels retro and like what I did in the early 80s. But I donít have a monopoly on it.

DAFT PUNK ON TOURING
Guy-Manuel De Homem-Christo:
I get everybody coming up to me saying, ĎAre you touring? Are you touring?í And Iím like, ĎGuys, the album isnít even out yet. What, do you want the dessert before the starter?í We donít even know if thereís going to be a dessert; no one has even tasted the starter yet. And we are in the middle, or rather the robots are in the middle, of that crazy situation. Itís not even the nerves, but every day Iím like, why are people freaking out so much?

GIORGIO MORODER ON SOUNDTRACKS
I donít particularly like Scarface. The intro part; thatís beautiful. The rest is really bad. The thing is, when that film came out it was a flop. One of the worst days Iíve had as a musician was when we played the movie to the audience. It was one of the official ones before the premiere. At the end... silence. No applause, not one clap. Some people started to boo. I just thought, ĎOh God.í I think he says Ď**** you, **** youí 270 times at the end. But then the video came out, and it became a cult hit.

DAFT PUNKíS RELATIONSHIP WITH THE ROBOTS
Thomas Bangalter: We feel empowered by their personas. Itís allowed us to stay anonymous and create a certain mythology that has grown. Weíre not trapped; itís the opposite. We live such an easy lifestyle; we take the subway, and have the best of both worlds.

DAFT PUNK ON THEIR NEW SOUND
Thomas Bangalter:
This record is like a portal into a space where itís the past, present and future combined into a cool, timeless environment. Itís saying that the best thing from the past can still be done today and can still be done in the future. And obviously live playing is not something that just belongs to the past. If it does belong to the past thatís a little bit scary.

GIORGIO MORODER ON SKRILLEX
What Skrillex does with Ableton... Itís like being a little god. Itís not just pushing loops Ė thatís easy Ė but to do the effects... Heís a genius.

DAFT PUNK ON MODERN MUSIC
Thomas Bangalter: The problem with music and technology right now is that thereís this utopian idea that technology is going to assist you in freeing your brain to reach higher goals. But the reality is that technology just makes you lazy.

13-05-2013
Hell on Heels

Ok so the Moroder one was just a teaser cover, these are the actual ones that'll be on newsstands :

Thomas Bangalter / Guy-Manuel De Homem-Christo by Hedi Slimane

Dazed & Confused facebook page

13-05-2013
V.I.P.

Those Daft Punk covers are flawless.
Perfection.
That is all.

V.I.P.

Those covers are very cool! Thanks for sharing!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, confused, daft, dazed, hedi, june, punk, slimane