How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-08-2012
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrando3 View Post
Are you kidding me?. Young boys and girls know what condoms look like if their parents educated them rightfully at a normal age, at 6-7 when they go to school they know how to identify a girl and a boy genital parts come on... The magazines are everywhere so the photo will be there too and perhaps printed in a larger version in some newstands.
I highly doubt they will even see the cover, usually these mags are high up on the shelves and usually put behind other magazines, kids won't be tall enough to see them.
It's a condom, big deal.

15-08-2012
fashion icon

I wonder which are the countries where the issue is banned!

And about the condom, putting all the children aside (I dislike it when people use curious children as their argument, I couldn't care less what will children think about anything), there is something called culture and something called vulgarity. This is vulgar, no matter that we live in a society (at least here in Europe) where sex is no longer a taboo. IMO, condoms are something intimate.
What's next - i-D magazine with a cover girl holding a menstrual pad over her left eye?

Still, this isn't Vogue or Elle, so I guess they don't care much about keeping it classy.

15-08-2012
V.I.P.

^ but a pad's not the same as a condom. It doesn't scream sex, more the opposite.

I don't know, I guess this is vulgar.. but I feel old, I remember the Tom Ford days and how he popularized disguising any kind of sexual fantasy as 'fashion'. When he left, things aspired for discretion, discretion and ethereality have been valued like nothing else in the past 8-9 years. I don't find this too bad from a 'variety' standpoint, and yeah it makes sense with Azealia, who looks pretty good here..

fashion icon

The is one of the most disgusting covers I've ever seen. Pushing boundaries and being avant garde is not the same thing as being downright tacky and offensive.

15-08-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForChicSake View Post
There is nothing shocking about it (no matter how tacky/tasteless/imho pathetic it is), surely a cover with a woman blowing up a condom isn't something you want young impressionable girls/boys to see on the newsstands of their local newsagents or shopping centres. There are standards some people would like to maintain in terms of what is exposed to the public in the name of fashion/publicity, I understand the ban.
Heaven forbid that children know what a condom (a contraceptive) looks like am I right people? The image is only shocking because it resonates with our image of fellatio. We see this and think "Oh sex! How unnatural and vulgar!" Children see this and think "oh she's blowing up a pink balloon!" Gimme a break.

I can't believe we still live in such a sexually repressed society. When did history go from Caligula to purity rings?

15-08-2012
don't look down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyM View Post
if it was overinflated that would be one thing, but the size of the condom and the way she's holding it up to her mouth (while simultaneously essentially throwing up her middle finger) is so incredibly phallic, the intention was clearly to simulate oral sex.
Not to mention the giant wording underneath about how she BLOWS, as if the addition of the word "up" means the magazine can pretend that they're actually talking about party balloons and popularity.

trendsetter

She's got a condom in her mouth, big deal! This isn't a magazine made for children who might find it confusing/offensive or anything like that so why are people even bringing children up??

15-08-2012
V.I.P.

^Indeed, even without the notion that some kids might see this, it's a tacky mess.

15-08-2012
V.I.P.

People are really worried about the children?
First and foremost, when was the last time some 7 year old read D&C? Hmm?
Exactly.

Anyways, I initially pictured the image to be even more provocative than what I'm viewing here. I do prefer this to her current Vibe cover with Diplo, though. I do love the editorial. I'm also loving the numerous images plastered around the bedroom that include hip hop and rap artists. I spy some Missy Elliot and Tupac

oh, and I just have to mention I love the pairing of the Balmain jacket with a simple hoodie.

Last edited by LagerfeldBoy; 15-08-2012 at 02:35 PM.
15-08-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagerfeldBoy View Post
I do prefer this to her current Vibe cover with Diplo, though.
really? I think this VIBE cover is gorgeous, love both of them and they look stunning there, very sexy.

15-08-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereo View Post
really? I think this VIBE cover is gorgeous, love both of them and they look stunning there, very sexy.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I love that cover too. Diplo is just fiiiiine

fashion elite

I actualy dont mind the condom.
What kills this cover is the execution. I mean if she was blowing the condom in a playful way dressing casulay in a white background it would´ve look nice but I dont like how glossy and sexual the cover looks like.
I love Azealia regardless.

15-08-2012
fashion icon

To be honest, I think that it's a bit silly that everyone's getting all-up in arms about this cover. When I first herd about how the cover was banned, I thought it would be like ten time's worse then it is. I think it's interesting how we can have magazines like Playboy which features women in skimpy clothing, and they don't get banned (maybe they get covered up on the newsstand but so what, people still buy them), but when a women is holding a condom on magazine (and thus, it's probably seen as she's taken control of her own sexuality) people get really angry. And what I find is interesting is that D&C didn't dress Azealia in a skimpy outfit, I think if they had done that then I would have truly been ticked off. I'm curious to know which countries are banning this issue, I do realize that some place's are more strict about what can be published, but still...if it's like parts of America, then they seriously need to get over themselves. I also want to commend D&C for mentioning p****riot, they need all the publicity they can get, and I seriously hope that more people become more aware of this issue. The content for this month sounds really good.

you soft and only

I don't know, I think this is one of Dazed's better covers this year!

Although it's probably banned in countries that hardly sell it anyway.

I'm so tired of everything having to be "classy" in fashion these days. at the expense of humour and everything else.

15-08-2012
V.I.P.

the only child who will probably see this is Tavi , and she already thinks she is older than most of us on here so that won't be an issue. I love the colors, my only issue is not the condom but how in your face the condom is... it practically takes up the whole cover. I would have rather seen a not as zoomed in image

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, azealia, banks, confused, dazed, hamza, september, sharif