How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-04-2011
fashion elite

the b&w editorial looks fierce but not the cover and I also ask myself who is the target reader here

14-04-2011
windowshopping

great cover, does anybody know if david gandy has an editorial inside or just the cover?

14-04-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieJE View Post
WTF they want to express with a cover like this? racial competition?
Why so much hate? If you don't like the cover, that's fine. I understand we are entitled to our own opinion, but why so much negativity? It's the first issue and you want it to 'disappear' already.

I personally think this is a great first issue. Considering this is from China, they are showing a lot of progress. The naked editorial maybe played out in international magazines, but it is quite a step for China. In fact, I think Chinese magazines are really stepping it up in terms of editorial quality. Vogue China is doing exceptionally well and consistently delivers quality editorials that outshine other Vogue editions.

I'm also quite tired of reading things such as "racial competition". Not everything is related to racial prejudice or preference of one race over another. Just because David Gandy has the girl in his arms, does not mean the girl is choosing Gandy over Zhao Lei because he's European.

Give the magazine a chance. I applaud them for doing something risque for their market.

Last edited by Ives927; 14-04-2011 at 03:53 PM.
14-04-2011
trendsetter

Truth be told, when I saw the cover, I interpreted it more like a movie where the gangster's girlfriend falls in love with another man and there's that classic scene where it all comes to a boiling point. Maybe I'm stupid, but I didn't even pick up on the more racially charged possible interpretation until someone pointed it out. Generally I think there's a tendency when people view fashion photography to interpret images in the worst way possible (anytime makeup or photoshop is used to lighten or darken a model's skin, the infamous oil spill Vogue Italia cover, etc.) but why does it have to be that way? There are almost always many ways to view an image so.... I just... I dunno. At the risk of sounding a little twee.... why not try to be positive?

ANYWHO, I love what I've seen of this so far. Interesting cover, gorgeous photographs of models, beautiful clothes..... It's just so much more inviting, in general, than GQ US or UK fashion content

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGofVERSAILLES View Post
Truth be told, when I saw the cover, I interpreted it more like a movie where the gangster's girlfriend falls in love with another man and there's that classic scene where it all comes to a boiling point. Maybe I'm stupid, but I didn't even pick up on the more racially charged possible interpretation until someone pointed it out. Generally I think there's a tendency when people view fashion photography to interpret images in the worst way possible (anytime makeup or photoshop is used to lighten or darken a model's skin, the infamous oil spill Vogue Italia cover, etc.) but why does it have to be that way? There are almost always many ways to view an image so.... I just... I dunno. At the risk of sounding a little twee.... why not try to be positive?

ANYWHO, I love what I've seen of this so far. Interesting cover, gorgeous photographs of models, beautiful clothes..... It's just so much more inviting, in general, than GQ US or UK fashion content
I totally agree and I thought the same about the cover's interpretation: an old gangster movie and the girl is picking one of them

backstage pass

Graphic Play
Ph:Yin Chao
Sty:Joji Qian

16-04-2011
backstage pass

Up In the Hair
PH:Xu Chuang

snap by me

16-04-2011
backstage pass

Too Young To Die