How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-07-2010
front row

^^ I saw Vogue Australia June out already. Vogoe Germany is also out, but I think there was a price hike (again).

29-07-2010
backstage pass

Vogue and Elle US and Vogue Paris are out in London.
Vogue US has gone up to £6 though. Quite annoying when it's such a thin issue.

29-07-2010
don't look down

I wish I knew the sense behind magazine pricing, it seems there aren't any universal rules, and it doesn't appear to be tied into exchange rates or distance travelled from country of origin (or else Vogue Australia would cost me the same as Vogue Nippon, for example).

And I can't imagine that the notion of pricing your magazine as a premium product works that well these days, because consumers are prioritising their spending on essentials, magazines appear to be superthin, and the general impression is that you can get everything from the internet.

Yet there are times when the price of a magazine has come down; Paris Vogue was £5.50 for years, but then went down - and stayed down - to just under a fiver.

A US Vogue retailing at £6 will ensure I'll buy March and September for sure, but probably not any other issue unless the content really ties in with my personal tastes. Even if I have the money to buy a thousand issues, there'll be no casual purchases at that price.

V.I.P.

Thanks fearless, got Vogue Australia last week. Vogue Russia is also out in the UK now!
£6 for US Vogue is kinda ridiculous - for such a thin issue. I don't mind September and March issues, but not August.

V.I.P.

Although the US Vogue issue is thin, it includes some of the best ads and eds so far this year!

29-07-2010
V.I.P.

Yes, but why exactly is the same price as an issue that's 500 pages bigger than it? It's totally illogical.

I'm annoyed they hiked the price again, they only just moved it up from £4.50 the other month as well.

29-07-2010
V.I.P.

Ah...see your point. Well taken.

29-07-2010
V.I.P.

It's all very illogical too. German Vogue is way more expensive than Australian Vogue - which is plain insanity. The time it takes for Australian Vogue to make it to the UK is proof enough it's not re-printed here for the UK market, so it has to be done there and shipped across... I, like Tigerrouge said, would love to know what they base their prices on.

29-07-2010
front row

I think price is based upon import/export taxes in general - Vogue Nippon is most expensive - this is mainly because of its size, it's bigger than I think all other Vogues, in height/length, even if its 1cm or so, and also the speed in which it arrives abroad - something like 1 to 2 weeks and its already here.

Vogue Australia is cheapest because the magazine is nearly two/three months behind schedule - which means it uses the cheapest shipping method, therefore the taxes are lower. If you notice Vogue Germany and Russia (now two of the next most expensive) both arrive very quickly after being released in the origin country.

Import/export taxes rise every so often depending on inflation/politics/etc so thats normally the main reason for a price hike. I don't understand why theres such a quick rise in US Vogue though, it only increased the price a month or so ago.

don't look down

Yet if size was a factor, then a magazine such as W would be more expensive than it is. And if 'speedy arrival' was a factor, then Vogue Paris should be on the same level as the German and Russian editions. It's an enigma.

front row

Size is just one of the things, but with magazines like Interview and W -- the weight comes in as a factor as well. Something like 10 issues of Interview is equal to the size of one VN.

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but for the last year or so German and Russian Vogue's have arrived alot quicker than the French edition - especially if I'm using the UK as an example because France is much closer than either Germany or Russia. Vogue Russia is so quick sometimes its released abroad on the same day as Russia. German Vogue is normally out within the week. And this months VP isn't out in the UK yet so it might have a price rise as well?

This is only sort of the basics I know because in part of the course I was doing we had to study import/exports and stuff, but I'm sure there are other more significant factors too.

Some Like It Hot

^Vogue Paris is out in the UK.

alot of the prices i think come down to where they are printed like VN is printed in japan (although alot of its team is based in italy) so that explains its price.

and in the UK confectionary such as magazine's don't get taxed on (whereas things like alcohol and cigarettes do)

don't look down

Then there's the strange case of the same magazines being different prices in different stores - I remember that Tower Records used to sell import US magazines at a much cheaper price than in regular newsagents. They'd arrive faster as well. So they must have had a particular deal with the publishers or distributors.

Last edited by tigerrouge; 30-07-2010 at 03:56 PM.
30-07-2010
V.I.P.

I remember as well when Borders used still be here, their copies of US Vogue/US Elle and W were always cheaper than WHSmith's copies, usually by about a £1. US Vogue used to be like £3.50 at Border's.

30-07-2010
Some Like It Hot

^^Yeah, some stores like fenwicks get their issues alot quicker than the likes WHSmiths, WHSmiths as i was told only get deliveries on tuesdays and thursdays (even if a magazine is released on another day of the week, say a monday or a friday)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
arrivals, imported, issue, thread