How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-05-2010
Some Like It Hot

i still can't help but like katie, but she along with other editors have got to like it or lump it at the end of the day, tFS is basically where the customer speaks, if katie or other editors don't like it, thats tough luck
but i do slightly agree with her, alot of people put a magazine down saying its boring or whatever, then come 3 months down the line they look back and say 'OW! i liked that editorial at the time' and the same with collections, thats just IMHO
and i love how although as she basically says tFS hasn't got any worth, then why do all these editors come on here ? and check out what we post

30-05-2010
don't look down

There are phases of 'impressions' - sometimes you can be incredibly excited at the first sight of something, but bored with it within a week, other times you can purchase something half-heartedly and get around to reading it two months later, whereupon it turns out to be far more interesting than it seemed.

Some of today's models aren't exactly to my taste, so I have a habit of looking back at magazines from four years ago and suddenly appreciating.what I thought was awful at the time - but was still far better than what I see today.

Some Like It Hot

yeah definitely, we all do it, but there are certain people on here that put things down constantly, yeah not everything is spot on but there is always something worth reading or looking at in most magazines
and i can guarantee katie has done the exact same thing, looking back after 3 months and going 'i actually like that now' when she was my age (17) and even now when she looks at magazines

trendsetter

After tigerrouge posted Katie Grand's comment about TFSers, I would LOVE to read the interviews with the stylists. Does anyone know where I can read them online? I would sincerely appreciate it !

And, though I like the styling and photography in Alessandra's editorial, she was COMPLETELY miscast. Honestly, it looks as if she has more powder on her body than Queen Elizabeth I wore during her entire lifetime! They could have easily cast a model who at least looked SOMEWHAT Asian and doll-like rather than casting a Brazilian bombshell with naturally darker skin. She just looks unnatural, creepy, and out of place.

Last edited by vavavinny; 30-05-2010 at 06:44 PM.
30-05-2010
V.I.P.

I hope this mag will be available in my area ASAP. I searched ebay but couldn't find any..
Thanks for scanning those interviews, franchini.

30-05-2010
fashion icon

I love Katie's interview it just really shows how she became such a huge stylist as today.

31-05-2010
V.I.P.

I love the styling on the Eniko's ed.

31-05-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavavinny View Post
After tigerrouge posted Katie Grand's comment about TFSers, I would LOVE to read the interviews with the stylists. Does anyone know where I can read them online? I would sincerely appreciate it !
they are scanned and posted onto this thread

31-05-2010
tfs star

vavavinny - I posted them on the previous page.

Although when I scanned the interviews, the text didn't come out so clearly, so hopefully you can still read them without too much trouble...

Last edited by franchini; 31-05-2010 at 04:53 AM.
31-05-2010
V.I.P.

Katie Grand is overrated IMO. Her work doesn't do much for me.

I really like Eniko's ed, though.

31-05-2010
tfs star

I just noticed something... Whatever happened to Hedi Slimane, Paco Rabanne and Pascal Dangin, whose names were featured on the teaser cover with Daria...? There are no articles about them in the final issue.

Last edited by Dieselmax; 31-05-2010 at 09:17 PM.

01-06-2010
V.I.P.

If you read the issue though, particularly the interview about the editors, it seems to have been conducted after the teaser cover (which wasn't actually a teaser cover, but instead an e-mail sent to the industry advertising the magazine as forthcoming) had been posted here. It seems they were done very close to the magazine actually going to print, so perhaps they had secured interviews, that then fell through.

I think it's probably an explanation for the awful proof reading too. It seems to have been done very close to the wire.

02-06-2010
V.I.P.

finally read all the interviews ...
Katie Grand and Panos itws were the most interesting !
Eventhough Katie is, imo, too full of herself, I pretty much love the people who are honest with themselves and don't act the very polish way just to make her work look interesting ...

What Panos is saying got me depressed. If he ever stops styling, I wish him the best ! Though I hope I'll be still able to catch an eye on his career .... ahah
In his itw, I really like the snake behaviour of the itw-er ... Like you're saying your work is being true to yourself and style, though I don't associate Cavalli or Dolce or Hermès or H&B to your style ... I felt weird reading this, like "well probably Panos is one of those ambitious wolves" .... I don't know ...

And in the end, put the itw of Sauvé was really interesting, as you can completely see the difference btw France and UK fashion scenes ...

Transparency and internet are the new challenges to work on for Fashion Magazines Industry, obviously ...

02-06-2010
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchini View Post
vavavinny - I posted them on the previous page.

Although when I scanned the interviews, the text didn't come out so clearly, so hopefully you can still read them without too much trouble...
Ah! Thanks franchini for posting and Berlin for pointing them out ! I didn't notice them before!

So far I have read the interviews with Karl Templer and Marie Amelie Sauve--two of my favorite stylists--and they seem to reiterate the same concepts: team work and importance of talent/creativity. Both seem to be very down to earth in their interviews, something I expected from Templer but not from Sauve, who has recently been given a cold, bitchy reputation by some fashion media outlets.

I particularly liked Templer's interview because I got the sense that he just wasn't an overnight sensation and that he had to work very hard for the phenomenal career he now has. I really appreciate the fact that the process of his career was discussed. I find it very hopeful. I also liked his comment that fashion imagery is now so ubiquitous that is difficult to produce a truly innovative, unique image. In this post-post-post-modern time, everything is really a copy or reinterpretation of something else. I think it is nearly possible for someone to produce a completely new, fresh image or concept.

Sauve also offered some fantastic insights. Could you imagine having your mother scoring you an internship at VOGUE PARIS at the age of 18!?! I wish her mother was mine! From this tidbit, I assume that she comes from an at least somewhat bourgeois family? She also mentions that her family is very intellectual, which also makes me think that she is somewhat affluent.

She could not stop talking about how amazing it is to work at U.S. Vogue. I wonder if this is in a way a subtle backhand at Carine and company? Maybe not. There is no denying that she is one of the most talented stylists working in the industry today, and it is such a pleasure to read a very rare interview with her.

Thanks again for pasting franchini !

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlinRocks View Post
finally read all the interviews ...
Katie Grand and Panos itws were the most interesting !
Eventhough Katie is, imo, too full of herself, I pretty much love the people who are honest with themselves and don't act the very polish way just to make her work look interesting ...

What Panos is saying got me depressed. If he ever stops styling, I wish him the best ! Though I hope I'll be still able to catch an eye on his career .... ahah
In his itw, I really like the snake behaviour of the itw-er ... Like you're saying your work is being true to yourself and style, though I don't associate Cavalli or Dolce or Hermès or H&B to your style ... I felt weird reading this, like "well probably Panos is one of those ambitious wolves" .... I don't know ...

And in the end, put the itw of Sauvé was really interesting, as you can completely see the difference btw France and UK fashion scenes ...

Transparency and internet are the new challenges to work on for Fashion Magazines Industry, obviously ...
I COMPLETELY agree! I noticed this contrast as well, particularly in the interviews of Sauve and Templer. The French fashion scene seems extremely closed and exclusive, whereas the British fashion scene seems much more open, democratic, and available to more people, at the time both began their careers at least. It seems as if Sauve started her career through (family) connections, while, on the other hand, though he knew the son of the owner of The Face, Templer had to work for a while and climb his way up the ladder.

Last edited by vavavinny; 02-06-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
anna, industrie, issue, magazine, premiere, wintour