How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-06-2010
V.I.P.

^May I just add that some members are actually people working in the industry, people studying to work in this industry, and some are even journalists !
so at the end of the day, it's KT's issue if her brain is not enough efficient to make the difference btw someone serious and a teen who's posting a comment, because his/her fav model appears in the mag ...

19-06-2010
V.I.P.

and may I just add that those teens are probably the ones spending the most $$ on magazines ! When you know some have bought for instance all the covers of the naked LOVE !
just saying .....

Quote:
how many people don't buy a magazine because they can see all the editorial content online?
this forum made me buy more magazines than you could thought of !

Last edited by BerlinRocks; 19-06-2010 at 01:49 AM.
19-06-2010
V.I.P.

I think to a certain extent it doesn't matter what people on TFS say because most of the times they tend to not explain their opinion. They'll just say 'I don't like it' or 'I loooove it' or 'this looks terrible' instead of explaining WHY they don't like it. Obviously the latter would be very valuable information for any editor-in-chief.

I don't really see how Katie says Cathy's opinion means more to her than the opinion of the average possible future Love reader. It's not like Cathy will buy 10,000 issues of Love on her own. She probably has a very different view on magazines than the average high fashion magazine reader. Who care what she writes? Possibly people who can't formulate their own opinion on things.

All in all, I found it a rather silly comment, it makes Katie come across as pretentious and elitist.

Last edited by style_expert; 19-06-2010 at 02:47 AM.
19-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlinRocks View Post
I second that
Many of mags is not even available here, and after seeing content or previews, I have buyed it.

(somebody is trying to find this mag in ebay, right now)

V.I.P.

Maybe I misread it, because Katie Grand seemed to zig-zag with her comments. She seems to start off not putting too much store in opinions that are not Cathy Horyn but then she ends it with an "editor should be excited at the prospect of getting her hands on those opinions." Eh, I'll give her props for acknowledging the online community and particularly tFS.

19-06-2010
V.I.P.

I think it comes down simply to the fact that the people on here will buy the magazine. Critics wont. A critic's review is all good and well, but where are you without the people to buy it?

19-06-2010
fashion elite

wow I was kinda surprised by Demarchelier's interview, but still I really enjoy his photographs

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlinRocks View Post

Oh yeah, me too! I wouldn't have one ickle idea who Katie Grand is, or what Love, Pop, or Dazed and Confused are if it wasn't for this forum. So I'm sure Katie has tfs (and other sites like it) to thank for a good amount of her popularity.

If it wasn't for tfs would Katie Grand even be well known enough to have an article in Industrie?

Actually could a magazine like Industrie even exist without sites like tfs? They wouldn't know they had a market would they? They can't actually sell to the industry, everyone working in fashion already knows most of this information.

Last edited by nyc_art_style; 19-06-2010 at 11:13 AM.
19-06-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_art_style View Post
Oh yeah, me too! I wouldn't have one ickle idea who Katie Grand is, or what Love, Pop, or Dazed and Confused are if it wasn't for this forum. So I'm sure Katie has tfs (and other sites like it) to thank for a good amount of her popularity.
agreed.. 100%

V.I.P.

^ I'm with you.

19-06-2010
V.I.P.

Those pictures of Daria and Lara are beautiful. No matter how many times we seen them naked, its always good.

Unfortunately I haven't seen this magazine anywhere. Nowhere to be seen in WHSmith of anywhere else.
Regardless I'm all for buying magazines, but for 7 this is not worth it. Half of it feels like copy and paste.

20-06-2010
V.I.P.

Very amazing the Daria & Lara's ed.

23-06-2010
fashion insider

It was very interesting to read all your opinions about the magazine, Dear TFS members Some of you are people that i respect very much the opinion of...I do not always agree with it, but I could not resist to write what i think,too.
I have been buying magazines like crazy all my life...a forum like that would never make me start or stop buying magazines...I came here in order to find more people who appreciate fashion photography and I did find more information about magazines that i was looking for...it is a good place to find out hidden materials...because magazines often are sold sealed and by the cover you can never know if it is worth buying it. And seeing Anna Wintour on a cover will rather putt me off than make me buy it...but after knowing that Daria and Lara and some other great models on editorial pages are hiding inside, I would buy it at once!!!
As for the stylists job...i never really cared for it! The main credit always goes to the PHOTOGRAPHER and the MODEL...of course the rest of the team always contributes to the final result, but me as a former model and as a photographer...I always prefered to work with the model only or when modeling, only with the photographer...Stylists are over-exposed and over-paid these days...I was really annoyed when I was modeling for an editorial for a local magazine and realized that I was not getting paid anything, but the stylist actually got money for it.And he got a lot...the other person who got money was the photographer...and I think I took also a great part of the process, because without me their job would not be possible! And what a stylist does is picking up some clothes and putting them on a model! Anybody can do that! I know I will get slapped for saying that from 99%, maybe 100% of you...but this is how i see it.
The Alessandra Ambrozio editorial is quite interesting...and it looks like that not because some Katie put those clothes on Allesandra...it looks like that because the photographer made it look so great!!! It is also the makeup artist and the hairstylist who in my opinion are much more important than the stylist!!! I guess they should start now creating magazines for them,too!!! I think they are going too far...this industry is filled with people with such HIGH EGOS that seeing all those new magazines every month is insaine! Sure most of those people are talented and creative, but now all of them want to be stars!!! It is ridiculous...or maybe the journalist are making too much fuzz about it...i do not know.
But I think a model and a photographer are enough for a good magazine!
After all i buy magazines because of the photography, nothing else!
So dear magazine makers...try to show less text and more photography! This is what most of us here buy magazines for!!!
Leave the information for the millions of blogs and websites

Last edited by radolgc; 23-06-2010 at 06:34 AM.
23-06-2010
V.I.P.

Rado I adore you and think that you are a great photographer and I am pretty sure you are a fine model based on the candids that I have seen, but I disagree with you so much! I have liked editorials and campaigns for different reasons, sometimes I can pinpoint what makes it special to the concept, the photographer, model, fashion stylist, hair and makeup artists or some combination. Plus I don't think that the photographer always comes up with the concept, especially if the wardrobe person is billed as the fashion editor. At the end of the day these are fashion magazines they are there to present and promote the clothes above everything else.

I do think that you have a very legitimate beef about models not being paid and in some publications not even credited, but that does not diminish the value that the other people involved in the shoot brought to the table.

Last edited by agee; 23-06-2010 at 08:12 AM.
23-06-2010
V.I.P.

Does somebody know where can i buy this magazine in the United States? (Florida)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
anna, industrie, issue, magazine, premiere, wintour