How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-05-2008
front row

Marc's ed is fantastic, love it! Can't wait to see what the other guys will be transformed into!

18-05-2008
The future is stupid

Source | WWD

Quote:
FIFTEEN AND THEN SOME: Marc Jacobs might not think he is the new Andy Warhol, but Interview sure thinks so.

With a white mop of hair, crisp button-down shirt and tie, the designer looks mighty Warholian on the cover of the magazine's June-July double issue. White wigs and fake eyelashes aside, Jacobs does have some Warhol tendencies — the way he runs his business, his artlike advertising, stores that feel like clubs and collaborations with Stephen Sprouse, Takashi Murakami and Richard Prince — according to Interview's Glenn O'Brien, who penned the cover story. "Andy was always talking about how new art is business art," O'Brien said.

Jacobs, who crossed paths with the Pop Art artist a few times, was floored to be the front man. But he is still not sold on the similarities. "I don't think of myself that way," he said. "Warhol is Warhol. He's practically a god. I thought, 'I'm going to get a lot of hell for this.'"

Truth be told, as a teenager, Jacobs read Interview religiously and was seduced by snapshots of Warhol's Factory. But the designer was more intrigued by their lifestyles than by any one personality in particular. "That really introduced me to that Studio 54, interesting, New York jet-setty lifestyle," Jacobs said.

He was such a devotee he often drew Richard Bernstein's Interview covers. "There was something so compelling about them. I wasn't trying to pass them off as my own," Jacobs said.

As of Thursday, Jacobs will be seeing more than quadruple, when T-shirts and tote bags imprinted with his cover shot, as well as magazines, will be splashed in the window display of his Bleecker Street store. (By chance, "Giorgio Armani" is one of the cover lines.) Proceeds from the $35 T-shirts and $15 tote bags will benefit the Andy Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh.

Jacobs has lensman Todd Eberle to thank for this particular 15 minutes of fame. He is the one who casually said to O'Brien at a dinner party, "Gee, Marc Jacobs is the new Andy Warhol," O'Brien said. "That kind of clicked in my head."

There were countless clicks during the 12-hour Paris shoot with lensman Mikael Jansson, who has pictured Jacobs in a Rellik dress and Louis Vuitton platforms, among other looks. "Even though my scalp and eyelids were completely sore, it was all worth it," Jacobs said. "It was just a ball."

In honor of what would have been Warhol's 80th birthday in August, the issue spotlights all things Andy, including photo booth shots of what "knowledgeable parties confirm" is his penis. There's also a note written by Valerie Solanas nine months before she shot him, complaining about the "gross misspelling" of her name.

22-05-2008
rising star

I received my issue today. Lots of articles and pictures on Andy Warhol. The main fashion story has cast models in place of the people you'd find in his Factory. I took some quick pictures of the entire ed.

Photographed by Jason Kibbler
Styling by Sarah Ellison
Models:
Brennan as Andy Warhol
Martin as Candy Darling
Caroline as Bianca Jagger
Martha as Edie Sedgwick
Raquel as Baby Jane
Shiela as Susan Bottomly
Natasha as Donna Jordan
Bridget as Nico
Alana as Ultra Violet

It's a thick issue, with the last half all Andy. You'd think they'd put him on the cover.

22-05-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampling View Post
Caroline as Bianca Jagger
GAWGIZ.

22-05-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampling View Post
I received my issue today. Lots of articles and pictures on Andy Warhol. The main fashion story has cast models in place of the people you'd find in his Factory. I took some quick pictures of the entire ed.

It's a thick issue, with the last half all Andy. You'd think they'd put him on the cover.
Fantastic, thanks so much for the review, and they did sort of put Andy on the cover it was an homage to him, i just love all the other that played Superstars.

22-05-2008
tfs star

Caroline Ribeiro!

I am so getting this issue to look at during my vacation.

22-05-2008
V.I.P.

that shoot looks very good.

22-05-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
(...)You'd think they'd put him on the cover.
in a way they did.... with MJ as Andy Warhol....
I'm sure Andy would loved Marc...... If you know what I mean....
(see wwd article posted by MMA)

I think their casting is fabulous....
Honestly I thought Caroline was really Bianca... I was like "Wait... "....

thanks MMA and Rampling for article and snaps....

22-05-2008
V.I.P.

The only one i dislike is Martin as Candy Darling, because pleasee there is no one who could capture the beauty of her, she was just devastating.

22-05-2008
rising star

I made a mistake - the model on the left page is Brennan, the model on the right is Agyness Deyn. I thought they were the same person.

23-05-2008
V.I.P.

Caroline Ribeiro as Bianca Jagger is perfect.

24-05-2008
front row

is there any new pic of scarlett johansson featured in the mag?

24-05-2008
rising star

For some reason, I think Marc looks like Tarzan haha.

V.I.P.

How long is the Jacobs interview?

24-05-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola_ View Post
is there any new pic of scarlett johansson featured in the mag?
There is an interview with her, but the picture with it is just painting of her.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2008, interview, jacobs, jansson, june or july, marc, mikael