How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-08-2014
front row

Interview September 2014 : The Photographers Issue

Quote:
Interview Magazine's September Issue Bows With Six Covers

By Alexandra Steigrad

INTERVIEW COVERS SIX: Interview magazine will pay tribute to photographers in its September issue, which hits newsstands on Thursday. The magazine tapped six well-known photographers, who chose women whom they felt represented beauty. Steven Klein selected Nicole Kidman, Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott picked Naomi Campbell, Patrick Demarchelier chose Keira Knightley, Craig McDean tapped Amber Valletta, Peter Lindbergh selected Léa Seydoux and Mikael Jansson photographed Daria Werbowy.

“It was like doing six cover shoots,” said Interview editor in chief Keith Pollock, who noted that different copies of the September issue would feature one of the six covers. “There were no restrictions. There was a lot of travel. We shot in Sweden, Ibiza, London, Paris, New York. No photographer was in the same place.”

Inside the issue, each muse interviewed the photographer on their vision, except in the case of Alas and Piggott, who were interviewed by Riccardo Tisci.

“I think that themed issues are very ambitious. It can be such a huge risk,” Pollock noted. “But it was really wonderful, and there were moments when I thought this was going to tank, but we really pulled it off.”

The 324-page September issue is down slightly in ad pages from September 2013, with 131 ad pages versus the year earlier’s 152 ad pages. But Interview’s October issue is up 40 percent on a year earlier as the title marks its 45th anniversary.
wwd

20-08-2014
backstage pass

These are all really excellent and well executed.
I am surprised how superb Keira's cover is, I think its my favourite. Daria looks like a well aged 50 y.o, Kidman's is maybe the weakest, it would have been amazing if she had done a piercing stare into camera.
Looking forward to seeing all the content, I hope its a thick issue with each having good length editorials.

20-08-2014
front row

Great idea and outcome.

20-08-2014
V.I.P.

Interview comes to save this boring September. Spectacular covers, each one represents each photographers really well. Amber and Keira's are my favorites, Daria's being the weakest. She looks... rough.

Can't wait for the content.

front row

Sorry for the size of the images.

20-08-2014
backstage pass

Amber's cover is my most favourite. It reminds me of David Bowie. I'm not sure if i like or hate Daria's cover.

20-08-2014
Mr. Zhivago

These are all pretty fantastic except for Nicole Kidman's, it doesn't really look like a cover image.

20-08-2014
front row

Lea is unrecognizable. Naomi looks divine. When will Vogue UK?
I love all the covers. Good job The Interview.

20-08-2014
V.I.P.

amazing covers

20-08-2014
front row

Very well-executed for the most part. Naomi looks great. Loooove Keira's. I like the rawness of Daria's cover, but y'all she is looking ROUGH.

A bit uneasy about the cover with Nicole Kidman, though. At first glance it looks like a harmless love scene, but there's a very icky, rape-y subtext that turns me off.

20-08-2014
fashion insider

Holy Cow Balls! Amber's cover shot by McDean is phenomenal!

McDean's ombre washes of light and shadow is just so beautiful in that scintillating, time stands still, Man Ray-esque way.

V.I.P.

I like Naomi's by far the best. Amber's is nice, too. But it got less and less interesting when scrolling down... not sure this really needed six covers. The other ones are not bad, it's just that some shots don't seem very cover-worthy to me. But it looks like a promising September issue already!

20-08-2014
fashion elite

Naomi and Keira are superb on the covers. They are really saving the September issues from disaster. Great job!

trendsetter

This is it!! The best offering for September, thanks Interview! All the covers except 1 does it for me. Daria really looks much too haggard and the forehead looks so leather-ey, and I actually prefer mature women on covers. Perhaps its time for her to take another break.
I agree, Nicole's actual image is not really suitable for a cover, but its a powerful image nonetheless and Klein moved away from his glossy finishes. The violent undertones is visible as it reminds me a lot of her 'apple' rape scene in Dogville.
Keira's is good too, a piercing stare.
I wonder how these women were selected, photographer's demands, or the magazine, because its an exciting mix

20-08-2014
MON
V.I.P.

NAOMI!!!
Amber!!!!
Keira!!!

I dislike Daria's tho, she looks old

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2014, interview, issue, photographers, september