How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-09-2011
fashion icon

I like Tavi. And I like L'Officiel. That said I'm not keen on seeing the two together. I think the magazine should have gone for someone with a little bit more recognizability. Anyone who's on TFS or reads fashion blogs knows of Tavi but the average person doesn't. So if this was sitting in a shop a lot of people might not be drawn to buying it because the person on the cover is unknown to them. Sometimes this can work to a magazines advantage putting an unknown on the cover but in this case I think not. Also, this is a historic 90th year edition, why not put someone on the cover who's more iconic? That said, I do like how Tavi looks on the cover, it's very her.

22-09-2011
fashion insider

Tavi and this cover are awful. This is just wrong. If after 90 years what we end up with is Tavi, i think the future is bleak.

Last edited by Les_Sucettes; 22-09-2011 at 08:27 AM.
22-09-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGofVERSAILLES View Post
Also, I really just don't get the choice to put her on the cover. I want to be happy for her, but (and this might come off as a bit mean) am I the only one that thinks her blog is somehow... creepy/strange? Her obsession with The Virgin Suicides, her ruminations about the zeitgeist of eras when she was not alive, just... I don't know. I don't like her taste in general, her writing seems really self-aware, and she seems like a silly choice for the cover. Starting out, she was so young and I can see the appeal, but now she seems a bit irrelevant. The kind of things she posts about aren't really unique and she doesn't put a unique spin on them. Blogs along the same vein as hers, visually at least, are a dime-a-dozen on tumblr, etc. these days.
I agree.
Basically she's famous because she looks like a small child, she's just your average teenager, the things she sprouts are the type of things that should be hidden in a diary so you can laugh at them when you are older. The people that basically give her the opportunity to spread her nonsense are the ones to blame in here. If she looked like me at 15,more 15 going on 20, no one would think she's cookie cute or particularly intelligent for her age.
Would this cover work if she didn't look like child playing the granny?

22-09-2011
fashion insider

love this. completely captures her persona in fashion.
- anyone who disagrees is a hater.

23-09-2011
rising star

only reason that tavi is good choice for this cover is because she look like she's 90, same age as l'officiel.

23-09-2011
front row

^ hahahahaahaha!

28-09-2011
fashion insider

Really?! I hope that there is either some relevance for her being on the cover, or that the rest of the issue makes up for a less than stellar cover choice for the occasion.

front row

i'm not a big fan of her but honestly some of the comments in this thread are so rude and harsh towards her. yes everyone is allowed their opinion but there's no need to be so malicious.

i like this cover and i like that they're using a young girl for their 90th issue.

29-09-2011
trendsetter

what a GRANDMA cover

29-09-2011
front row

Don't agree with the use of Tavi for this cover. Nothing against her but I just think it was a wrong choice.

And maybe I'm also a little bitter. She has my dream job, just from writing her blog.

Yours faithfully
bitter lady in her early twenties.

God Save McQueen

wait, hasn't tavi hit puberty at this point? is that picture old

30-09-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by madame royale View Post
i'm not a big fan of her but honestly some of the comments in this thread are so rude and harsh towards her. yes everyone is allowed their opinion but there's no need to be so malicious.
I agree. I think some people are extremely harsh to this girl. I'm not too familiar with her (nor do I think she's "iconic" to be on an anniversary issue of L'Officiel) however I think it's really commendable for a girl her age to be so accomplished in something she's passionate about. People constantly gripe about the young generation being so apathetic and lazy; and yet when someone like this girl is doing so much, there's still grievances?

The saying "you can't please everyone" truly does apply in life.

30-09-2011
fashion insider

Sometimes the unexpected is what changes our lives. Hope it's in a good way.

30-09-2011
rising star

when I wrote that tavi look like she's 90 I didn't mean it like insult ... it's just her style, or I have big problem with my eyes ... I'm not her biggest fan but I really don't have any reason to be bitter/harsh/hater/malicious (at least when I write about tavi).

30-09-2011
V.I.P.

Missy Rayder by Satoshi Saikusa
Styled by Monica Pillosio
Hair by Cyril Laloue
Makeup by Maria Olsson

models

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, gevinson, lofficiel, october, paris, tavi