Love #16.5 F/W 2016.16 Remix Issue : Madonna by Mert Alas - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-08-2016
front row

Are they pushing something that's out in a month's time because the new Love magazine has fallen so flat???

Sponsored by Marc Jacobs? So it's officially not a real magazine, just a vanity exercise for two people.... with old Madonna roped-in in support

I quite like the thumb sucking cover, but what I really want to see is the new issue of Pop....

17-08-2016
boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMiss View Post

Music was a very solid album... Confessions on the Dancefloor was a pure masterpiece, producing a single that went No. 1 in 36 countries...(and that's when albums really mattered) And if she wasn't in her 40ies, it would have done even better. Both albums sold milions and had amazing reception...
I'm here for this Confessions on the Dancefloor truth. One of the best albums of her career and an incredible high point for her. Hung Up still sounds so fresh.

fashion insider

Musical preferences aside --and I think Music and American Life were gutsy, leading, impossibly rich productions that were unlike anything that the rest of the Pop world were offering at the time, and still very Pop. Listen to 2000’s “What It Feels Like For A Girl” today and it seamlessly fits into the current conversation of the women’s movement. Or 2003’s “Nobody Knows Me”, which may as will be Madonna as the all-seeing Oracle of Delphi valuing her individuality and warning of the coming of InstaCulture. She was a leader at the time and effortlessly shrugging off the need for the kidz’ approval. Which of course, made them adore her for that confidence then…

I wished with these magazines, and knowing how her age would always be the topic of conversation with her (having just turned 58 yesterday), especially when she’s posing still so… provocatively, she would be daring, confident enough to reject all the retouching, and all the filter on her Instagram pics that has her face so bright, she may as well be a lightbulb. And show your hands as a defiance and as a statement of not bending to the shames of aging. She’s got the biggest balls of them all, but when it comes to her aging physicality, she’s a hypocrite by retouching her images to death. Don’t be afraid.

(And Benn— I love love love the video for “Nothing Really Matters’ as well. Such a celebration of life and death in such a creative, original, playful and impossibly visionary fashion. And she’s gorgeous— looking like Gong Li as Hatsumomo in her Gaultier kimono.)

Last edited by Phuel; 17-08-2016 at 01:32 PM.
17-08-2016
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeycombchild View Post
Re Confessions On A Dancefloor, if she wasn't in her 40s it would have sold more? I'm really not sure that's the case at all to be honest. It sold well and I imagine it sold just as well as it would have done had Madonna been in her thirties at the time? I find that logic slightly odd in an argument apposing ageism. As long as she produces good music I imagine Madonna will always sell, but for me the issue is she isn't even producing good music and in stead has become some comical caricature of what she once was, with a quite frankly, rather desperate need to be considered 'young' and 'relevant' still, rather than simply celebrating the age she is.
I didn't say the album didn't sell well. I said if radios played her music the album would have produced more successful singles. Especially, in the US.

You completely misunderstood my comment re-ageism. I won't even offend myself by trying to reject your claim but it is a fact that radios have ageist policies...

And finally, the Confessions is not a masterpiece because of the numbers it has sold but because it is a very solid musical product. Erotica didn't sell that much but for me it is one of her best albums.

18-08-2016
V.I.P.

Itīs a beautiful image, for the 1998 Ray of Light Madonna. The thumb sucking is so pointless though... I rather she was sucking c**k on the cover, that would be a provoking image!

18-08-2016
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobombon View Post
Itīs a beautiful image, for the 1998 Ray of Light Madonna. The thumb sucking is so pointless though... I rather she was sucking c**k on the cover, that would be a provoking image!
Just spat out my tea reading this!

18-08-2016
fashion elite

Madonna is the face of insecurity. It's quite ironic that the master of reinvention is totally paralysed by the fact she's not young anymore. Her music, her demeanour, her social media, everything about her is outdated, and the imagine she projects about being an older woman is relentlessly negative. Above all that's what really puts me off.
Said that, the fact that magazines play along with it, say more about the state of the press than about her. I can understand people posting Instagram pics with filters or tweaking their imperfections, it's part of the game, let's see who manages to post the best version of themselves. I do not do social media at all, but still i do not think i allowed anyone to take a picture of me without flash since 1999. But to see those cheap tricks applied on a magazine cover is the height of mediocrity. And this magazine has been nothing but that since the first issue.

18-08-2016
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn98 View Post
Just spat out my tea reading this!
Too much?

she already played a major role in sexual revolution decades ago, now it seems so desperate that she still clings to it. Move on already! Or at least try to sell me sex from a 60 year old woman pov.

18-08-2016
fashion insider

I’d like to still believe she’s still pushing for— something of worth these days. The woman has contributed too much to pop art— and to the gay community, to be written off as just latching onto pop relevance. I wonder if this Love “candid polaroids” shoot is to coincide with this release/exhibit of Richard Corman’s newly-discovered “66 Polaroids” 1983 shoot with her in the fall?:

https://i-d.vice.com/en_us/article/m...richard-corman

This is the Madonna— in her lace leggings under paint-splattered ripped jeans and army surplus tank top with the 300 black rubber bracelets is the Madonna I adore above all her other periods. It’s pure, raw style that no amount of money and team of stylists and haute couture designs can buy.

Last edited by Phuel; 18-08-2016 at 02:31 PM.
18-08-2016
V.I.P.

^I love those pics, she was just so cool and gorgeous! sheīs still gorgeous but itīs ridiculous that her skin now looks almost the same that in those images.
Anyway, I still love her and Iīm looking forward to her pics. Roccoīs I just donīt care about.

20-08-2016
fashion insider

I love this
While I love Madonna, her magazine work can sometimes feel a bit repetitive and frankly boring. Seeing her likes this is exciting and something new - looking forward to see the rest of the shoot.

27-08-2016
trendsetter

Mess.

27-08-2016
V.I.P.

NO. Just NO! I rather see her doing yoga poses with Klein for the gazillion time...

27-08-2016
V.I.P.

This is just a disaster, as everything coming from Madonna - M&M collab. DOn't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for Madonna for the things she has done and achieved, she is an icon, she also looks great and is in an amazing shape, but when she tries hard to be cool and sort of on the same page as the younger generation, she comes across as desperate and old, and it looks so pathetic

27-08-2016
V.I.P.

I'm really curious as to who will pay the exorbitant cover price to purchase this issue. Surely, her fans have disposable income but are they enough to balance the printing costs of this? Do these remix issues have advertising inside?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#165, 165, alas, f or w, issue, love, madonna, mert, remix