How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
View Poll Results: What do you think of the LOVE cover featuring Kate Moss and Lea T?
Arresting, beautiful, thought-provoking - I love it! 75 38.66%
Sorry, not a fan 26 13.40%
A blatant play for media attention 93 47.94%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

21-01-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Same here... Lea T was born as a boy and wants to be a girl and feels attraction for boys, right? So why is Lea T kissing another girl? Is he/she now a lesbian? Why change sex then? Would not be more logical to be portrayed kissing a boy? like David Gandy, instead? or Baptiste Giabiconi? No Baptiste because he likes Karl!!! I'm completely confused!!!
oh c`mon it`s only fashion, is not supposed to have an idea of that`s going on just recall steven klein works, most of them), just a point for the discussion, and Love made it since You discuss this thing. it`s just a question which must be asked even only in your head, another try to kick up a row.

21-01-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Same here... Lea T was born as a boy and wants to be a girl and feels attraction for boys, right? So why is Lea T kissing another girl? Is he/she now a lesbian? Why change sex then? Would not be more logical to be portrayed kissing a boy? like David Gandy, instead? or Baptiste Giabiconi? No Baptiste because he likes Karl!!! I'm completely confused!!!
This is SO WRONG.

Who says you can't be a transgendered woman and still like girls? "Why change sex" transgendered people don't change genders (or sexes, there is a difference but I won't go into that now) so they can be straight and like guys, they change sex because they feel they were born in the wrong body regardless of which gender they're attracted to. And Lea T is a SHE, SHE is a woman, not a "he/she." Educate yourself before you spout off about sensitive topics like this.

Some Like It Hot

Guys, discussion has drifted onto Lea's gender, which is neither here nor there, can we all please stay ON TOPIC, Thanks .

don't look down

Although surely that's the purpose of the androgyny theme - to get people debating the topic and buying the issue.

For me, androgyny is certainly neither here nor there, most of the time, I don't find it that interesting, because it's almost like a nothingness, a null and void identity where each gender has cancelled the other out.

Last edited by tigerrouge; 21-01-2011 at 04:55 PM.

22-01-2011
scenester

very sexy cover!

22-01-2011
V.I.P.

A blatant play for media attention! : certainly, I mean... c'mon! is Love not selling enough issues?

tfs star

I really can't wait for the editorial!!!!!

V.I.P.

Cover is really good, but I think it's still something, it's a beautiful but not shocking and surprising (though at first look I was actually surprised to see Kate & Lea kissing each other).

From the video preview it seems like it's a good issue and I've noticed that some of the Kate's shots are really amazing, and it's great to see that she has already her second Love cover when there're only 5 issues launched.

I don't care but still looking forward to see Bieber's cover, with him and Kate Moss being cover stars I'm sure this issue will sell, sell, sell.

22-01-2011
Some Like It Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
Although surely that's the purpose of the androgyny theme - to get people debating the topic and buying the issue.

For me, androgyny is certainly neither here nor there, most of the time, I don't find it that interesting, because it's almost like a nothingness, a null and void identity where each gender has cancelled the other out.
But its not something to be discussed here, her gender isn't the subject matter.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchunu View Post
I feel like this cover is trying/supposed to/should mean something...but i'm not sure what exactly. based on aesthetics alone its ok, but its not hitting the spot for me like i think katie grand wants it to.

hmm...
Yes, and I think if there is something to note, might be a hint that the gender and the sexual orientation are not defining each others at all... - and, soit dit en passant, that people don't change gendre to suit their sexual orientation - that it's all more complicated than that !
*sorry mods*
I won't elaborate more on this, but obviously they didn't do this cover without thinking about this message, consciously or not...

Last edited by mariemaud; 22-01-2011 at 03:09 PM.
22-01-2011
V.I.P.

Sexy cover!!! Digging the smooch!!!

22-01-2011
don't look down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanelcouture09 View Post
But its not something to be discussed here, her gender isn't the subject matter.
Then I look forward to people restricting themselves to discussion about the philosophical meaning of the dark grey background.

If Lea was on the cover of an ordinary magazine, discussion of her gender identity wouldn't be relevant, because she'd be doing straight modelling. But when she's on the cover of something that proclaims itself the androgyny issue, which promises to explore ambiguity of gender throughout its content, and in a pseudo-sexual scenario designed to spark a bit of controversy, then it is the subject matter.

What happens if the contents are full of gender-bending visuals? Are we going to talk about the design of the page numbering instead?

Sexual identity can be difficult to talk about, perhaps such talk can start to seem offensive to some, but when it's printed on the page of a magazine, it's there for our eyes and minds, and if we can share our thoughts in an interesting and hopefully respectful manner, we might learn something new about others and ourselves.

Now, perhaps this issue of Love might not deliver that, but our discussion based on it might. Someone out there is going to have interesting things to say about what they see.

22-01-2011
Some Like It Hot

To be honest, if you read my first post about this subject matter, i said it was off topic, not that i myself was objecting to the subject being talked about, its just OFF TOPIC. thats all.

French Chic

Katie Grand knows exactly what she is doing by having this image on the cover of the mag. When I first commented in this thread, I only stated my views on how I viewed the cover, but there are certainly implications here.

I would imagine most members here at TFS would be aware of Lea being transgendered and would view the cover with this in mind, but most folks that buy the magazine will not be and would view it as Kate Moss (assuming they are aware of her) kissing another woman. This I assume is supposed 'shock value' although personally I don't see it.
I would imagine inside the magazine there would be some explanation about Lea's gender, which would ultimately take the reader back to the cover, and the image then takes on a whole different meaning.

Ère de ℳodernité

I don't know if it's just me or if anyone else feels the same but that kind of cover leaves me completely cold. A black & white photograph of two girls kissing. WOW BIG DEAL! ... Yeah, what's next?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#5, 2011, bieber, justin, kate, lea, love, moss, s or s