How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-08-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post
Wow I was just about to do a blog post on Jeff Bark.

I swear you guys are in my head sometimes - or perhaps tFS is becoming a hive mind. Either way, his work is phenomenal, not sure if M&M are directly referencing him or not, but his work is so beautiful. Would absolutely love to see him shooting for a magazine of this caliber!

he worked for russian vogue and 10 magazine in 2005-2006, if i am not wrong about dates, and he was quite bland and average in fashion photography, now he changed his derection into something artsy and it looks much better.

01-08-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives927 View Post
How is that not violating any copyright infringements? It's one thing to be inspired and another to be blatantly copying. Good call. That's pathetic.
it is bizarre, the only arenas in art i've noticed this happen CONSTANTLY withare fashion and film [i'm sure it's common in every other artistic realm but fashion and films are the ones i follow the most]....not one lash is batted, except for the original creator's...it's infuriating

the most annoying bit is that What Lies Beneath is still quite beautiful to me, no matter how angry i am.....like, i really enjoy the movie Reservoir Dogs even though i absolutely loathe knowing that there's the exact same Chinese movie out there made before it.

OH ART /

Last edited by clocked; 01-08-2011 at 08:30 PM.
01-08-2011
tfs star

I think creative rights need to be protected more in the fashion industry, but I do understand at times it can be hard to regulate as originality is a rare thing.

I, myself was not aware that Mert & Marcus had taken the idea from Jeff Bark. Up until this point, I have never heard of Jeff Bark. Had no one pointed it out, many would go on believing this was an idea originated from Mert & Marcus. That itself is unfair to the artist.

I don't want too over analyze this, but for Love #3, Mert & Marcus took quite the inspiration from Helmut Newton as well.

In the fashion industry, referential works are sometimes taken too lightly.

Last edited by Ives927; 01-08-2011 at 09:13 PM.
02-08-2011
trendsetter

Has anybody seen the edit. with Hailee, Elle, and Chloe?

front row

It's the same as their covers + interview and Hailee has another photo.

02-08-2011
V.I.P.

the "what lies beneath" editorial is literally breathtaking. so utterly sumptuous and sensual and stunning! it IS an absolute blatant rip-off of Jeff Bark's "woodpecker" editorial. but - and here's the kicker - it's more gorgeous.

i love a tribute, or an homage, but unless it's a reference that most people will 'get', it's doing nothing but a disservice to the original artist. obviously, M&M saw Bark's editorial, loved it and replicated it. this is - by definition - a testament to their appreciation of his work. however, he really NEEDS to be credited for the conceptualization of this editorial. Bark isn't famous enough for everyone to 'get' the reference and recognize it as a tribute, rather than an original creation.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycanadian View Post
the "what lies beneath" editorial is literally breathtaking. so utterly sumptuous and sensual and stunning! it IS an absolute blatant rip-off of Jeff Bark's "woodpecker" editorial. but - and here's the kicker - it's more gorgeous.

i love a tribute, or an homage, but unless it's a reference that most people will 'get', it's doing nothing but a disservice to the original artist. obviously, M&M saw Bark's editorial, loved it and replicated it. this is - by definition - a testament to their appreciation of his work. however, he really NEEDS to be credited for the conceptualization of this editorial. Bark isn't famous enough for everyone to 'get' the reference and recognize it as a tribute, rather than an original creation.
indeed, for mert & marcus to use Jeff's idea (and they clearly were, no doubt about it whatsoever) without a proper credit is just ripping off his work...is it better none? Yes it looks better than the original, but it's insulting to Jeff that they take over his idea without at least pointing out to the original...

02-08-2011
V.I.P.

My Snap

Five Extra Limited Edition Fashion Covers.

I'm guessing they're just going to be shots taken from the editorials... I can't imagine it's going to boost their sales much. Perhaps if they'd done it later into the season so it got a second surge, then maybe..

02-08-2011
V.I.P.

I'm disappointed. The review looked promising, but I don't like the editorials that have been posted- well, maybe some shots from 'Lullaby'. In 'What Lies Beneath' there are more naked bodies than clothes.

02-08-2011
front row

I LOVE "WHAT LIES BENEATH"

so dreamy and amazing...i see that few of you guys have the problem of an artist getting inspred by an artist but i feel this is so natural..and i think for sure M&M took it inspiration
to another level and made it their own..all the underwater shots for instance.."unique"

whatever it is and how it got there is not my concern .i look at it and i LOVE it.

02-08-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarsha View Post
Newsstand UK has Lara's cover on sale since Friday.
that isn't one of them though i don't think! i have lara's cover myself

V.I.P.

Can't wait to see the five extra covers. I really want to see what they look like.

02-08-2011
French Chic

The Art of Seduction
Photograpy Alasdair McLellan
Fashion Editor Katie Grand
Model Natalia Vodianova

(my own scans)

French Chic

Strange Love
by Solve Sundsbo
Part 3

(my own scans)

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeycombchild View Post
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/photonv.jpg/]

Five Extra Limited Edition Fashion Covers.

I'm guessing they're just going to be shots taken from the editorials... I can't imagine it's going to boost their sales much. Perhaps if they'd done it later into the season so it got a second surge, then maybe..
The 5 extra covers are Kristen, Maria-Carla, Lara, Daphne and Nyasha's. The 3 teen girls are the main cover stars.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#6, 1112, f or w, love, marcus, mert