How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-08-2010
Power to the 99%

Her shoulders are so high ... she looks extremely uncomfortable. Very surprised they chose that shot ...

18-08-2010
The future is stupid

I bought this issue. It has some really great shopping pages, etc. & one of the editorials, Retro Modern is darling.

31-08-2010
backstage pass

Lucky October 2010 - Ellen Pompeo

Ellen Pompeo, that's Dr. Meredith Grey to those of you who've never heard of Grey's Anatomy, has one of the least enviable wardrobes on TV (lots of scrubs) but has managed to compensate for it in her off-hours. "When I first started making money, I was obsessed with clothing and would spend a fortune on it," says the 40-year-old actress. "Lanvin, Balmain, GivenchyóI love them all." But then Pompeo got married, had a baby, and called a tÍte-Š-tÍte with the fashion gods. "I cleaned out my closet," she says. "I had so many beautiful clothes." But when she came across some particularly trendy pieces, she knew she wouldn't wear them again; the moment had passed. Realizing that the Paris runways might best be left in Paris, the actress took on a style mantra more practical than couture. But the old Pompeo is still in there, at the ready with an insight only a connoisseur would have: "Chloť makes a sick high-waisted pant."
Lucky.Com

The first picture is the cover.

31-08-2010
Aby
V.I.P.

Oh I like Ellen!! And she seems pretty rare on mag covers (surprisingly).

rising star

The magazine's getting a new Editor-in-Chief!
http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...oo-takes-over/

Kim France is leaving. She will be replaced by Brandon Holley, the last Editor-in-Chief of Jane. We've all talked about the need for a revitalization, but I do not like this idea at all. I didn't follow Jane religiously, but I do think Holley made it noticeably worse.

Moreover, I saw Holley speak twice while she was at Jane. Once I saw her on an online media panel. The other was in a "focus group" setting (young women talked with the staff about what they wanted to see in the magazine). On the whole, she seemed kind of directionless and out-of-ideas (not what one wants in an Editor-in-Chief). She was more impressive in the "focus group" situation, but I expected more from someone with her title (a strong creative vision, as cliche as it sounds).

I wonder if Andrea Linett will also leave; I think her and Kim have been close since their days at Sassy. And I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Conde Nast cafeteria! Brandon Holley replacing both of the queens of Sassy!

ETA: This thread is always pretty quiet, but I'd love to hear everyone's reaction to the news.

Last edited by pacersfanatic36; 08-09-2010 at 10:21 PM.
08-09-2010
V.I.P.

^thanks for the news pacersfanatic36 but I don't think that u're in the right place. Try to repost it in The Business of Magazines thread

rising star

Thanks for the tip, tentalicious.

08-09-2010
backstage pass

I used to live for Lucky...I have some issues from 2001 which I have kept for many a move...

But now, it has majorly gone down. I wish I knew what happened...

If you wish to know my feelings about the masses, they seem to be suffering from an excess "m".
09-09-2010
Aby
V.I.P.

I don't have an opinion on the new ed in chief since I didn't follow Jane but it can be good hopefully.

once more, with feeling

I'm not sure where I'm supposed to post this, but maybe here since I'm talking about what I see happening with the magazine.

I thought in the past few years, it had tried to have more mainstream appeal with editorials that looked like Glamour or Vogue. It lost some of its quirky, we're-all-just-girlfriends-here tone that distinguished it, along with Sassy and Jane, from other magazines.

But I'm sad to see France go. She wrote great little editor's letters. I can't help but think of Holley as a magazine killer, given her history at Jane. That said, I was planning to let my subscription run out, so I guess maybe the magazine needs an infusion of new ideas. Not sure if Holley is the one who will do it, though.

Power to the 99%

^ My subscription is in a bit of doubt too ... somehow lately they haven't had those cool pieces that I just had to hunt down. I guess the last time I did that was last fall. I was planning to give them one more chance I guess. I don't think I've ever even seen Jane ...

The magazine I'm so ready to cross off my list is Elle. The print is so damn tiny I knoooow there are people there my age (and older!). I guess they're all too scared of seeming over the hill to bring up practicalities with the teenybopper graphic designers?!?! I've been bringing this issue up at work and in my professional organization (some crazy graphics guy took over our magazine for awhile) for at least the past 10 years

09-09-2010
The future is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacersfanatic36 View Post
Thanks for the tip, tentalicious.
It's perfectly fine that the news was posted in here. This is the Lucky Magazine thread.

Thanks for posting pacersfanatic!

05-10-2010
rising star

Lucky November 2010 : Kristen Bell

Luckymag.com

05-10-2010
backstage pass

From luckymagazine.com

08-10-2010
girl who fell to earth

she looks like she was caught in an awkward moment in that cover shot...
who is the photo editor over there?!
i don't understand why they would choose that shot...
unless the entire shoot was terrible?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
lucky, magazine