How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-01-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightley View Post
I'm tired of their ethereal little girls playing dressup and hipster image. It was lovely for a few issues, but now it is getting worn out with their continual all of us are Peter Pan and Wendy aesthetic. It went from dreamy and darling to petulant quickly. I hope this issue has some surprises and throws something edgy. I can only go to the tea party so many times, you know?

Ich liebe Siri, though!
I agree. I love cupcakes and barettes as much as the next girl but there is something vaguely pedaphiliac about Lula's image (and the other spawns of that 'trend' such as bat for lashes, feist, erin featherston, etc, etc).

That said I still love the aesthetic of the magazine, it brings out the little girl in me

25-01-2008
boop

^Interesting discussion on the Lula aesthetic - their image is almost disturbingly girlish at times. I understand the whole quirky, fairy / babydoll thing but it is tiresome. Some of the content is inventive (particularly the graphic design) but the whole floaty/fairy/childlike quality that many of the images take on is repetitive and I almost feel that look is past its expiration date.

25-01-2008
Be a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
^Am I missing something, where is the blueish tint you speak of?

I don't know if I mean the tint, I'm not sure of the correct photographic term. I guess I mean the hue or base? Does anyone know what I mean?

V.I.P.

^^I cannot agree more with you, Luxx. one of the reasons why I've never fully come to enjoy this magazine.

I like the colours on this cover, and the makeup is quite catchy, too.. but, that is probably the worst angle for a face like Siri's.. it makes her teeth seem too prominent.

thanks for posting, pedro. nice quality!.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellynjane View Post
I've worked there since May and the only issue we ever carried was the one with Claudia on the cover, as far as I know!
ive never seen an issue at UO...

Last edited by cette fille; 26-01-2008 at 02:56 AM. Reason: .
26-01-2008
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cette fille View Post
ive never seen an issue at UO...

They have sold it! I bought it in Los Angeles last summer. I love the cover and Siri, I just hope I can get my hands on this issue.

26-01-2008
V.I.P.

Awesome cover

front row

amazing cover!!!

26-01-2008
V.I.P.

The cover is very striking!

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmopolitancat View Post
I love the cover! Lula is a great magazine.
If you live in Germany, you should try: morgenheit.de, shipping is free. I got Lula with Kirsten Dunst because I couldn't find it anywhere else.
Wow, thanks so much for the heads up!

26-01-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulyss View Post
I agree. I love cupcakes and barettes as much as the next girl but there is something vaguely pedaphiliac about Lula's image (and the other spawns of that 'trend' such as bat for lashes, feist, erin featherston, etc, etc).

That said I still love the aesthetic of the magazine, it brings out the little girl in me

for better or for worse, i don't think i'll ever tire of proverbial barrettes and cupcakes. i'm sort of waiting to see if it happens, as it is indeed a tired concept. however, as has already been said, lula executes this theme flawlessly. the pedophiliac aspect is what makes it appealing, by providing a counterintuitive and vaguely disturbing undercurrent that piques one's interest.

in anticipation of being bombarded with reprimands, it is certainly important to clearly differentiate between hints of pedophilia in art, where it is disconcerting and provocative; and hints of pedophilia in life, where it is horrifying and insupportable.

26-01-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightley View Post
I'm tired of their ethereal little girls playing dressup and hipster image. It was lovely for a few issues, but now it is getting worn out with their continual all of us are Peter Pan and Wendy aesthetic. It went from dreamy and darling to petulant quickly. I hope this issue has some surprises and throws something edgy. I can only go to the tea party so many times, you know?

Ich liebe Siri, though!
I agree with you 100%! Thats why I never bought an issue of Lula. That David Hamilton softness is nice for one ed bit not for an entire issue.

26-01-2008
trendsetter

Yeah, I agree with all the comments about the paedophiliac aspect, it makes the wednesday addams in me have a fit generally.Actually yesterday, when I thought about it, I realize that it makes me think of the girls who work for KillRockStars (if anyone knows the label), all the cutesy, the little blonde fringe,the DIY ethics, the indie female rockstars, the retro vaguely nostalgic references.

26-01-2008
rising star

I don't like the cover

26-01-2008
Brooklyn, baby!

I've seen the Kirsten Dunst issue in Urban Outfitters in NYC at a few different locations, so maybe they'll carry this issue as well.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#6, 2008, ellen, lula, siri, spring or summer, tollerød, unwerth, von