How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-02-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmelanie View Post
its nice to see a woman of color on an indie fashion mag!!
Exactly, I love Lula but they almost never feature anybody who isn't a pale white girl. Chanel isn't my favourite model or anything but she's a nice change of pace from who they usually feature.

15-02-2009
V.I.P.

I agree, edithandbob. someone implied earlier that Lula's been going downhill and I actually think it's quite the opposite, they're finally breaking away from that tiny capsule they immersed themselves at the beginning and are taking a more challenging road, less faithful to the rules they created and generating thoughts, discussion and exploring all the endless ways in fashion, which is what keeps a publication refreshing and intriguing for me, I'm not saying they should neglect their aesthetic but turn it into a route instead of station. The fact that they're using a girl of color and giving her a cover is quite significant considering their previous issues, it embraces diversity and invites them to join a kind of subculture that seemed almost restrained to pale, fragile-looking (or wishing to look) girls only.
Having said that, Austria Ulloa would've been a breathtaking choice to transmit all of this. one can only dream.

trendsetter

This looks really good, i love the cover a lot. Chanel looks nice.

16-02-2009
trendsetter

chanel is a good cover choice.. but i really dislike the "setting" of the cover..

coffee&tv

I like the look of Simona's editorial, especially the outfits.

I hope it's a multi-cover like the last issue, cause there's nothing very exceptional about it.

front row

wow. i love the cover. fancy that vintage look too. i'd imagine something from a more fashionable production of 'The Color Purple'.

16-02-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulyss View Post
Ermm....you guys do know that 'antebellum' means PRE-civil war, correct? In my opinion, this cover looks absolutely NOTHING like the antebellum south (a vision I'd rather not conjure). Rather, this reminds me of the vacant portraits of housewives and/or school photos from 1950s America. I do see the slightly disturbing undertones in it, but certainly not pre-civil war references!
seriously. it looks more like a yearbook photo from the 50s than anything.

16-02-2009
front row

Hmm...what's with all of the Chanel hate?

I actually find it quite interesting and can't wait to see the accompanying editorial. Is the issue officially out yet?

front row

^ the fact that she maybe a bit of a diva! jourdan would've been more kick-*** for this, and she's a young brit for a brit mag. don't like the cover but agree with others re: change from super pale girl.

16-02-2009
don't look down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosabella View Post
I think everyone here knows what antebellum means. We've got a smart group of people on TFS and I'm sure our schools taught us that antebellum means pre-Civil War.
As an aside, in what I've read, the word has also been used to refer to many civilisations; in European history, to refer to the period of time in the early 20th century - I've seen it used poetically and in political writings to refer to that period of time.

So that's how I know it - more as a general word, rather than a term for one specific moment in history in one country. I don't automatically associate it with America, I know very little about that period, and was taught nothing about it at all in school. But there was several hundred years of Irish and European history to be got through, I'm not surprised there was no time for it.

Last edited by tigerrouge; 16-02-2009 at 03:47 PM.
16-02-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
I agree, edithandbob. someone implied earlier that Lula's been going downhill and I actually think it's quite the opposite, they're finally breaking away from that tiny capsule they immersed themselves at the beginning and are taking a more challenging road, less faithful to the rules they created and generating thoughts, discussion and exploring all the endless ways in fashion, which is what keeps a publication refreshing and intriguing for me, I'm not saying they should neglect their aesthetic but turn it into a route instead of station. The fact that they're using a girl of color and giving her a cover is quite significant considering their previous issues, it embraces diversity and invites them to join a kind of subculture that seemed almost restrained to pale, fragile-looking (or wishing to look) girls only.
Having said that, Austria Ulloa would've been a breathtaking choice to transmit all of this. one can only dream.
I absolutely agree with this. If they had continued on the exact same track I would have lost interest with this magazine. That said, I still think they could grow a bit more, especially in terms of their contributors/photographers/styilsts.

16-02-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edithandbob View Post
Exactly, I love Lula but they almost never feature anybody who isn't a pale white girl. Chanel isn't my favourite model or anything but she's a nice change of pace from who they usually feature.
I agree. Not a fan of Chanel (would have preferred Jourdan Dunn) but it's a nice change from Lula's usual cover girls. I am really excited to the Simona McIntyre shoot.

16-02-2009
Unveil Yourself....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrina_RZ View Post
looks like The Color Purple is having a remake or something...
Oh yes! This is so very much Miss Celie getting ready for drinks at Harpo's. I think I like it.

twitter.com/ErikP87
16-02-2009
fashion insider

i like it

16-02-2009
V.I.P.

i've never bought this magazine before, maybe it's time :p when's it out?

Tags
#8, 2009, chanel, damon, heath, iman, lula, spring or summer